Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Vegem...sorry...SYDNEY 2000

Author Topic: Vegem...sorry...SYDNEY 2000
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-16-2000 04:45 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, did you watch the opening ceremony? I was quite worried that it wouldn't be up to standard but I must say I was mightily impressed.

To sustain such a mammoth cast and crew under such pressure for such a long period of time was quite incredible.

I really feel for the techs who were operating the Olympic Cauldron. They tested that thing many times and it never failed. Of course, when it was REALLY needed...

Just goes to show...even with the budget and the minds behind that piece of machinery, things still fail. I must remember to remind management next time they have a whinge because the slide didn't pulse over when it was supposed to.

The ceremony had the largest television audience ever for Australia with 10.4 million viewers. Amazing...and one of the other networks was running The Naked Gun also!

What did you think?

|  IP: Logged

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2000 05:48 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

You are absolutely correct. The opening ceremony was impressive on a grand scale! The little girl, (Niki, I think is her name) stole the show.

Oscar

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2000 07:28 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck of a show! And the opening day was fabulous. The women's triathlon was great! Really showed the Aussie spirit the reception they gave those Swiss girls just edging out the hometown favorite. And the "Thorpedo", wow that was some 4x100 showdown in the pool! Go Canada!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2000 01:41 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jelous of the Canadians, they get coverage realtime. We have to wait 18 hours for the tape delay.

I was real impressed by that 14 year old actress in the opening ceremony. She was a real pro. I liked the lighting of the caldron bit.

I didn't get to see the entire opening ceremony because my theatre dropped a print and I had to come in to set it right. We only had 20 people for that show.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-17-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see...that is why God created video recorders.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: