Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Vegemite Introduced to West Virginia! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vegemite Introduced to West Virginia!
Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 08:48 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your kind gift to our theatre. It was extremely nice of you to make the effort to ship us the Vegemite. It allowed us to experience something from half way around the world. As I posted before, if you would like anything sent to you to taste in return, I will be more than happy to send it to you.

Russ

And now, the verdict:

I was off today, but stopped by the theatre to get paid and noticed the on duty manager, his booth guy and a couple of off duty personnel in the office staring at this mysterious envelope that had arrived in the mail from Australia.

I dispatched one of them to the concession stand to grab some plastic spoons and we began the taste test.

After opening the jar and seeing this pasty looking brown substance, it was quickly decided that I, as their leader, should take the first bite.

I now understand why everyone here had such a hard time explaining the flavor. In 35 years of living, I have never tasted anything remotely resembling this. The look on my face evidently told everyone present that they did not really need to put this in their mouthes.

When it became obvious that I still could not put the flavor into words, one employee (who has never been accused of being overly gifted in the intelligence department) decided to taste it for himself. Everyone said that had he and I tasted at the same time, we could have passed as brothers.

That's not the end of it though!!

I took it to a friend's house along with my two children. My oldest tasted it and then looked at me like I had broken the law by allowing him to do so! (LOL)

My youngest wouldn't touch it after seeing this! Kat's children at least agreed to smell it even after she spit it out. One by one they smelled it and politely declined a taste.

Here's the odd spike in the test data:

Her daughter (the last remaining test subject), sniffed it, took a bite, then took ANOTHER bite! She probably would have eaten the whole jar had we not told her that we had to try it on other people! But then, she likes to eat "those little boullion cubes that you put in hot water to make soup" (Quick! What movie was that quote from?).

I only wish my boss had been present with his digital camera as we tested it at the theatre! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks again, Paul! We had fun with this!

Tune in next week when Russ will taste the next delicasy that gets mailed to him!

Does this make me the "Official Film-Tech Food Critic"?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 08:53 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be 3 Kings.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 10:51 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're in WV & don't understand that nothing is food until it's fried?

Shoulda sent it to Tim Reed. He seems to understand that Fried Vegemite & Squash would likely be scrumptious.

Or make up a big ol' Vegemite pie.

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 06:11 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re; Vegemite.

Dear all,

If you are going to sample Vegemite I suggest that you butter a slice of bread and then spread the Vegemite on top of the butter VERY THINLY.

This will allow you to taste the Vegemite without the overload of taste that is accompanied by tasting it by the spoonful.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 07:26 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want some, too. I'll probably like it. You'd be amazed at some of my food combinations!

I can go to the store and get American food too.

Bruce

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 08:19 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Michael, it is not a good idea to eat Vegemite straight, especially if you are not used to it.

BTW hello Michael I'll have to look you up sometime.

Russ,
I'm glad you got it and cant say I'm surprised at the reaction, find some more victims and post what they say.
I cant say there is anything I desperately want to try although if you have a spare "Love, Honour and Obey" trailer I wouldnt say no. Since you want to be the food critic I'll send you a surprise.

Bruce,
email me your address if you want some vegemite. I couldn't stop laughing at you and your pants, people at work actually said to me "whats funny" when I started giggling for no reason.

Paul

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-13-2000 06:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this ought to be the official Film-
Tech "I wanna' be a projectionist entrance test."

Anybody who wants to work in the booth has to eat some!

The next guy who writes in to FT and asks how to get up into the booth should have to find out what Vegemite is and then eat some!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-15-2000 03:32 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! Even I wouldn't eat it straight from the jar!

Get some fresh bread or a fresh roll, throw on some butter or margarine first then a light layer of Vegemite...don't worry...you can always add more.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-15-2000 09:37 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL!!!

And William, you betcha!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2000 03:58 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious...have you guys finished the bottles yet or have they been banished to the back of the kitchen cupboard?

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2000 08:52 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's still sitting on my desk!

NOTE: No one leaves food there because someone else will eat it.

Does this stuff expire?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 01:50 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russ
I tasted this antipodean delicacy some years ago courtesy of an itinerant Ozzie cinema technician I worked with in the UK.

On the basis of this(brief) exposure to it,it is my firmly held opinion that it expired before it was put in the jar!!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2000 02:21 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This from a country that enjoys kippers!

What was the guy's name, Dick?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-19-2007 03:43 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2257 days since the last post.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-19-2007 03:43 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this stuff expire?
Sure does...and when it does...it's VERY nasty.

Never expires in my house though... [Wink]

Hard to get it in Belgium I'm sorry to say. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: