Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Bob Maar's Joke-A-Thon   » Famous Latin Quotations/Translated (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Famous Latin Quotations/Translated
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-29-2005 01:56 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated PG [Smile] "A"

latin phrases and English translation

A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi - A precipice in front, wolves behind (between a rock and a hard place)

Ab imo pectore - From the bottom of the chest (from the heart)

Ab/Ex uno disce omnes - From one person, learn all people

Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit - He has left, absconded, escaped and disappeared

Absit omen may the omen be absent - May this not be an omen

Abusus non tollit usum - Wrong use does not preclude proper use

Abyssus abyssum invocat - Hell calls hell; one mistep leads to another

Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam - It is better to suffer an injustice than to do an injustice

Acta est fabula, plaudite! - The play is over, applaud! (Said to have been emperor Augustus' last words.)

Ad hominem - Appealing to a person's physical and emotional urges, rather than her or his intellect

Ad praesens ova cras pullis sunt meliora - Eggs today are better than chickens tomorrow (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)

Adeste Fideles - Be present, faithful ones

Adversus solem ne loquitor - Don't speak against the sun (don't waste your time arguing the obvious)

Aegrescit medendo - The disease worsens with the treatment (the remedy is worse than the disease)

Aegroto, dum anima est, spes esse dicitur - It is said that for a sick man, there is hope as long as there is life

Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem - Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even. (Horace)

Aeternum vale - Farewell forever

Age quod agis - Do what you do well, pay attention to what you are doing

Age. Fac ut gaudeam - Go ahead. Make my day!

Alea iacta est - The die has been cast. (Caesar)

Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent - Other people's things are more pleasing to us, and ours to other people. (Publilius Syrus)

Alis volat propriis - He flies by his own wings

Altissima quaeque flumina minimo sono labi - The deepest rivers flow with the least sound (still waters run deep)

Amantes sunt amentes - Lovers are lunatics

Amantium irae amoris integratio est - The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love. (Terence)

Amat victoria curam - Victory favors those who take pains

Amicitiae nostrae memoriam spero sempiternam fore - I hope that the memory of our friendship will be everlasting. (Cicero)

Amicule, deliciae, num is sum qui mentiar tibi? - Baby, sweetheart, would I lie to you?

Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur - A true friend is discerned during an uncertain matter

Amicus verus est rara avis - A true friend is a rare bird

Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non ponitur - We choose to love, we do not choose to cease loving. (Syrus)

Amor caecus est - Love is blind

Amor est vitae essentia - Love is the essence of life. (Mackay)

Amor ordinem nescit - Love does not know order. (St. Jerome)

Amor platonicus - Platonic love

Amor tussisque non celantur - Love, and a cough, are not concealed. (Ovid)

Amor vincit omnia - Love conquers all. (Virgil)

Amoto quaeramus seria ludo - Joking aside, let us turn to serious matters. (Horace)

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla sapientia mundus regatur? - Don't you know then, my son, how little wisdom rules the world?

Animis opibusque parati - Prepared in minds and resources (ready for anything)

Apudne te vel me? - Your place or mine?

Aquila non captat muscas - The eagle doesn't capture flies (don't sweat the small things)

Arduum sane munus - A truly arduous task

Arguendo - For the sake of argument

Argumentum ad ignorantiam - Arguing from ignorance

Ars gratia artis - Art for the sake of art

Ars sine scienta nihil est - Art without science is nothing (I would also claim that the opposite is true.)

Ascendo tuum - Up yours

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris amplioris - Face it, you're stuck in a dead end job

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori - Fortune smiles upon our first effort. (Virgil)

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit - Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill. (Cicero)

Astra inclinant, non necessitant - The stars incline; they do not determine

Astra non mentiuntur, sed astrologi bene mentiuntur de astris - The stars never lie, but the astrologs lie about the stars

Audentes fortuna juvat - Fortune favors the bold. (Virgil)

Audi et alteram partem - Hear the other side too

Auget largiendo - He increases by giving liberally

Auribus teneo lupum - I hold a wolf by the ears (I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go.) (Terence)

Aurora Musis amica - Dawn is friend of the muses. (Early bird catches the worm.)

Aut disce aut discede - Either learn or leave

Aut insanit homo, aut versus facit - The fellow is either mad or he is composing verses

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I'll either find a way or make one

Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - A greedy mind is satisfied with no (amount of) gain

Ave atque vale - Hail and farewell. (Catullus) [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar

- posted 09-29-2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated PG [Smile] B

latin translation to English

Bene legere saecla vincere - To read well is to master the ages. (Professor Isaac Flagg)

Bene qui latuit, bene vixit - One who lives well, lives unnoticed. (Ovid)

Beneficium accipere libertatem est vendere - To accept a favour is to sell freedom. (Publilius Syrus)

Bis dat qui cito dat - He gives twice, who gives promptly. (Publilius Syrus)

Bis interimitur qui suis armis perit - He is doubly destroyed who perishes by his own arms. (Syrus)

Bis repetita placent - The things that please are repeated again and again

Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who in the hour of conquest conquers himself. (Syrus)

Bis vivit qui bene vivit - He lives twice who lives well
Bona fide - In good faith

Braccae tuae aperiuntur - Your fly is open

Brevis ipsa vita est sed malis fit longior - Our life is short but is made longer by misfortunes. (Publilius Syrus) [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 09-30-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated PG [Smile]

C

latin language

Caelum videre iussit, et erectos ad sidera tollere vultus - He bid them look at the sky and lift their faces to the stars. (Ovid)

Canis meus id comedit - My dog ate it

Canis timidus vehementius latrat quam mordet - A timid dog barks more violently than it bites. (Curtius Rufus)

Capillamentum? Haudquaquam conieci esse! - A wig? I never would have guessed!

Caro putridas es! - You're dead meat

Carpe diem - Seize the day (opportunity) (Horace)

Cave canem, te necet lingendo - Beware of the dog, he may lick you to death

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui - Beware what you say, when, and to whom

Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware. (He buys at his own risk.)

Certe, toto, sentio nos in kansate non iam adesse - You know, Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Certum est, quia impossibile - It is certain, because it is impossible. (Tertullianus)

Ceteris paribus - All else being equal

Cogita ante salis - Think before you leap (or look before you leap.)

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur - Nobody should be punished for his thoughts

Cogito, ergo sum - I think, therefore I exist. (René Descartes)

Commodum ex iniuria sua nemo habere debet - No person ought to have advantage from his own wrong

Commune periculum concordiam parit - Common danger brings forth harmony

Communi consilio - By common consent

Coniecturalem artem esse medicinam - Medicine is the art of guessing. (Aulus Cornelius Celsus)

Conlige suspectos semper habitos - Round up the usual suspects
Construimus, Batuimus - We Build, We Fight (US Navy SeaBees motto)

Consuetudinis magna vis est - The force of habit is great. (Cicero)

Contraria contrariis curantur - The opposite is cured with the opposite. (Hippocrates)

Cotidiana vilescunt - Familiarity breeds contempt

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet - The man who is constantly in fear is every day condemned. (Syrus)

Cras amet qui nunquam amavit; Quique amavit, cras amet - May he love tomorrow who has never loved before

Credidi me felem vidisse! - I tought I taw a puddy tat!

Credite amori vera dicenti - Believe love speaking the truth. (St. Jerome)

Credo nos in fluctu eodem esse - I think we're on the same wavelength

Credo quia absurdum - I believe it because it is absurd (contrary to reason)

Credo ut intelligam - I believe in order that I may understand. (St. Augustine)

Credula vitam spes fovet et melius cras fore semper dicit - Credulous hope supports our life, and always says that tomorrow will be better. (Tibullus)

Crescit amor nummi, quantum ipsa pecunia crevit - The love of wealth grows as the wealth itself grew. (Juvenalis)

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem - It is more cruel to always fear death than to die. (Seneca)

Cui peccare licet peccat minus - One who is allowed to sin, sins less. (Ovid)

Culpam poena premit comes - Punishment closely follows crime as its companion. (Horace)

Cum grano salis - With a grain of salt. (Pliny the Elder?)

Cum homine de cane debeo congredi - Excuse me. I've got to see a man about a dog

Cum tacent, clamant - When they are silent, they cry out. (Their silence speaks louder than words.) (Cicero)

Cura nihil aliud nisi ut valeas - Pay attention to nothing except that you do well. (Cicero)

Cura posterior - A later concern

Cura ut valeas - Take care [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-11-2005 07:33 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

D

latin to english

Da mihi sis cerevisiam dilutam - I'll have a light beer

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo - I'll have a pizza with everything on it

Damnant quod non intellegunt - They condemn what they do not understand

De bene esse - It shall be so, as long as it is well

De duobus malis minus est semper eligendum - One must always choose the lesser of two evils. (Thomas a Kempis)

De facto - Something that is automatically accepted

De gustibus non est disputandum - There's no accounting for taste

De nihilo nihil - Nothing comes from nothing. (Lucretius)

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem! - The devil made me do it!

Dic mihi solum facta, domina - Just the facts, ma'am

Dictum sapienti sat est - A word to a wise person is sufficient

Die dulci freure - Have a nice day

Diem perdidi - I have lost a day (another day wasted) (Titus)

Dies felices - Happy Days

Dies irae - The Day of Wrath, or Judgment Day

Difficile est saturam non scribere - It is hard not to write satire. (Juvenalis)

Difficile est tenere quae acceperis nisi exerceas - It is difficult to retain what you may have learned unless you should practice it. (Pliny the Younger)

Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium - Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence. (Seneca)

Dimidium facti qui coepit habet - Half is done when the beginning is done. (Horace)

Dira necessitas - The dire necessity. (Horace)

Divide et impera - Divide and conquer

Do ut des - I give so that you give back

Docendo discitur - It is learned by teaching. (Seneca)

Dominus tecum - May the Lord be with you (Singular)

Dominus vobiscum - May the Lord be with you (Plural)

Donec eris felix, multos numerabis amicos - As long as you are fortunate, you will have many friends (when you are successful, everyone wants to be your friend)

Dulce bellum inexpertis - War is sweet for those who haven't experienced it. (Pindaros)

Dum excusare credis, accusas - When you believe you are excusing yourself, you are accusing yourself. (St. Jerome)

Dum inter homines sumus, colamus humanitatem - As long as we are among humans, let us be humane. (Seneca)

Dum spiro, spero - While I breathe, I hope. (Cicero)

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum - While we have the time, let us do good

Dum vita est spes est - While life is, hope is. / While there is life there is hope

Dum vivimus, vivamus - While we live, let us live (Epicurean philosophy) [Smile]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-11-2005 07:36 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

E

latin to english translation

Ego spem pretio non emo - I do not purchase hope for a price (I do not buy a pig in a poke.)

Eheu fugaces labuntur anni - Alas, the fleeting years slip by. (Horace)

Eheu, litteras istas reperire non possum - Unfortunately, I can't find those particular documents

Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth

Epistula non erubescit - A letter doesn't blush. (Cicero)

Errare humanum est - To err is human. / It is human to err (Seneca)

Esse quam videri - To be rather than to seem

Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis - Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe. (St. Augustine)

Est modus in rebus - There is a medium in things. (Horace)

Est queadam fiere voluptas - There is a certain pleasure in weeping. (Ovid)

Esto Perpetua - Let it be forever

Et tu, Brute - You too, Brutus (Caesar's last words)

Etiam capillus unus habet umbram - Even one hair has a shadow. (Publilius Syrus)

Ex animo - From the heart (sincerely)

Ex cearulo - Out of the blue

Ex gratia - As a favour

Ex mea sententia - In my opinion

Ex nihilo nihil - Out of nothing, nothing comes / is made
Ex uno disce omnes - From one person learn all persons (From one we can judge the rest.)

Exceptio probat regulam de rebus non exceptis - An exception establishes the rule as to things not excepted

Excitabat fluctus in simpulo - He was stirring up billows in a ladle. (He was raising a tempest in a teapot.) (Cicero)

Exitus acta probat - The outcome proves the deeds (the end justifies the means) (Ovid)

Experientia docet - Experience is the best teacher

Experientia docet stultos - Experience teaches fools
[Smile]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-12-2005 07:19 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

E

latin to english translation

Ego spem pretio non emo - I do not purchase hope for a price (I do not buy a pig in a poke.)

Eheu fugaces labuntur anni - Alas, the fleeting years slip by. (Horace)

Eheu, litteras istas reperire non possum - Unfortunately, I can't find those particular documents

Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth

Epistula non erubescit - A letter doesn't blush. (Cicero)

Errare humanum est - To err is human. / It is human to err (Seneca)

Esse quam videri - To be rather than to seem

Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces

est videre quod credis - Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe. (St. Augustine)

Est modus in rebus - There is a medium in things. (Horace)

Est queadam fiere voluptas - There is a certain pleasure in weeping. (Ovid)

Esto Perpetua - Let it be forever

Et tu, Brute - You too, Brutus (Caesar's last words)

Etiam capillus unus habet umbram - Even one hair has a shadow. (Publilius Syrus)

Ex animo - From the heart (sincerely)

Ex cearulo - Out of the blue

Ex gratia - As a favour

Ex mea sententia - In my opinion

Ex nihilo nihil - Out of nothing, nothing comes / is made

Ex uno disce omnes - From one person learn all persons (From one we can judge the rest.)

Exceptio probat regulam de rebus non exceptis - An exception establishes the rule as to things not excepted

Excitabat fluctus in simpulo - He was stirring up billows in a ladle. (He was raising a tempest in a teapot.) (Cicero)

Exitus acta probat - The outcome proves the deeds (the end justifies the means) (Ovid)

Experientia docet - Experience is the best teacher

Experientia docet stultos - Experience teaches fools [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-12-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

F

latin quotes

Faber est suae quisque fortunae - Every man is the artisan of his own fortune. (Appius Claudius Caecus)

Fac ut gaudeam - Make my day

Fac ut nemo me vocet - Hold my calls

Fac ut vivas - Get a life

Facilius est multa facere quam diu - It is easier to do many things than to do one for a long time. (Quintilianus)

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur - We are more easily led part by part to an understanding of the whole. (Seneca)

Facito aliquid operis, ut te semper diabolus inveniat

occupatum - Always do something, so that the devil always finds you occupied. (St. Jerome)

Facta, non verba - Deeds, not words (Actions speak louder than words)

Factum est illud, fieri infectum non potest - Done is done, it cannot be made undone. (Plautus)

Fallaces sunt rerum species - The appearances of things are deceptive. (Seneca)

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus - Untrue in one thing, untrue in everything

Fama crescit eundo - The rumour grows as it goes. (Vergil)

Fama volat - The rumour has wings. (Vergil)

Farrago fatigans! - Thuffering thuccotash!

Fas est et ab hoste doceri - It's proper to learn even from an enemy. (Ovid)

Fax mentis incedium gloriae - The passion of glory is the torch of the mind

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas - Happy is he who has been able to learn the causes of things. (Vergil)

Feliz ano novo - Happy new year

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt - Men readily believe what they want to believe. (Caesar)

Festina lente - Make haste slowly

Fiat lux - Let there be light

Fide, non armis - By faith, not arms

Fides quaerens intellectum - Faith seeking understanding

Finis coronat opus - The ending crowns the work. (Ovid)

Flamma fumo est proxima - Flame follows smoke. (Plautus)

Fluctuat nec mergitur - It is tossed by the waves but it does not sink

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit - Perhaps someday we will look back upon these things with joy

Forsan miseros meliora sequentur - For those in misery perhaps better things will follow. (Virgil)

Fortes et Liber - Strong and free. (Alberta)

Fortes fortuna adiuvat - Fortune helps the brave men. (Terence)
Fortiter Fideliter Forsan Feliciter - Bravely, faithfully, perhaps successfully

Fortuna caeca est - Fortune is blind. (Cicero)

Frangar non flectar - I am broken, I am not deflected [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-15-2005 11:13 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

G

Latin Sayings Translated

Gaudeamus igitur (iuvenes dum sumus) - Therefore, let us rejoice (while we are young)

Gladiator in arena consilium capit - The gladiator is formulating his plan in the arena (i.e., too late) (Seneca)

Gloria virtutis umbra - Glory (is) the shadow of virtue

Gnothe seauton (Greek) - Know thyself

Graeca sunt, non leguntur - It is Greek, you don't read that

Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi sed saepe cadendo - The drop

excavates the stone, not with force but by falling often. (Ovid)

H

Latin Translation

Helluo librorum - A glutton for books (bookworm)

Heu! Tintinnuntius meus sonat! - Darn! There goes my beeper!

Heus, hic nos omnes in agmine sunt! - Hey, we're all in line here!

Hinc illae lacrimae - Hence these tears. (Terence)

Hoc est in votis - This is in my prayers

Hoc est verum et nihili nisi verum - This is the truth and nothing but the truth

Hoc tempore obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit - In these days friends are won through flattery, the truth gives birth to hate. (Terence)

Homines libenter quod volunt credunt - Men believe what they want to. (Terentius)

Homines, dum docent, discunt - Men learn while they teach. (Seneca)

Homo vitae commodatus non donatus est - Man has been lent to life, not given. (Pubilius Syrus) [Big Grin]

Honores mutant mores - The honours change the customs. (Power corrupts)
Horas non numero nisi serenas - I count only the bright hours. (Inscription on ancient sundials.)
Humum mandere - To bite the dust

Bob Maar

- posted 10-15-2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

I

latin phrases

Id certum est quod certum reddi potest - That is certain that can be made certain

Id imperfectum manet dum confectum erit - It ain't over until it's over

Id tibi praebet speciem lepidissimam! - It looks great on you!

Ille dolet vere, qui sine teste dolet - He mourns honestly who mourns without witnesses. (Martialis)

Illegitimis nil carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Illiud Latine dici non potest - You can't say that in Latin

Illius me paenitet, dux - Sorry about that, chief

Imitatores, servum pecus! - Imitators, you slavish crowd! (Horace)

Imperium et libertas - Empire and liberty. (Cicero)

Impossibilium nulla obligatio est - Nobody has any obligation to the impossible. (Corpus Iuris Civilis)

In absentia - In one's absence

In aere aedificare - Build (castles) in the air. (St. Augustine)

In alio pediculum, in te ricinum non vides - You see a louse on someone else, but not a tick on yourself. (Petronius)

In dentibus anticis frustrum magnum spiniciae habes - You have a big piece of spinach in your front teeth

In dubiis non est agendum - In dubious cases, you should not act

In his ordo est ordinem non servare - In this case the only rule is not obeying any rules

In hoc signo vinces - In this sign, you will be victorious. (Eusebios)

In libris libertas - In books (there is) freedom

In magnis et voluisse sat est - To once have wanted is enough in great deeds. (Propertius)

In medio tutissimus ibis - In the middle of things you will go most safe. (Ovid)

In omnia paratus - Prepared for all things

In pari materia - Of like kind

In posterum - Till the next day

In quaestione versare - To be under investigation

In silvam ne ligna feras - Don't carry logs into the forest. (Horace)

In spiritu et veritate - In spirit and truth. (Versio Vulgata)

In vinculis etiam audax - In chains yet still bold (free)

In virtute sunt multi ascensus - In excellence there are many degrees. (Cicero)

Indulgentiam quaeso - I ask your indulgence

infra dignitatem - Undignified (beneath (our) dignity)

Inhumanitas omni aetate molesta est. - Inhumanity is harmful in every age. (Cicero)

Iniqua nunquam regna perpetuo manent - Stern masters do not reign long. (Seneca Philosophus)

Iniuria non excusat iniuriam - One wrong does not justify another

Intellectum valde amat - Love the intellect strongly. (St. Augustine)

Intelligenti pauca - Few words suffice for he who understands

Intelligo me intelligere - I understand that I understand. (St. Augustine)

Inter nos - Between us

Inter vivos - Living

Interfice errorem, diligere errantem - Kill the sin, love the sinner. (St. Augustine)

Inventas vitam iuvat excoluisse per artes - Let us improve life through science and art. (Vergil)

Ipsa scientia potestas est - Knowledge itself is power. (Bacon)
Ipse dixit - He himself said it. (Cicero)

Ira furor brevis est - Anger is a brief insanity. (Horace)

Isso fede - This stinks

Ita erat quando hic adveni - It was that way when I got here

Iustita omnibus - Justice for all [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-19-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

L

latin quotes to English

Labor omnia vincit - Work conquers all things. (Virgil)

Labra lege - Read my lips

Latet anguis in herba - A snake lies in the grass. (Vergil)

Latine loqui coactus sum - I have this compulsion to speak Latin
Laudant illa, sed ista legunt - Some (writing) is praised, but other is read. (Martialis)

Laudatores temporis acti - Praisers of time past

Lectio brevior lectio potior - The shortest reading is the more probable reading

Lege et lacrima - Read it and weep

Leve fit, quod bene fertur, onus - The burden is made light which is borne well. (Ovid)

Lex malla, lex nulla - A bad law is no law. (St. Thomas Aquinas)
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt - Men gladly believe that which they wish for. (Caesar)

Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes - Our thoughts are free. (Cicero)

Liberate Te Ex Inferis - Save yourself from hell

Libertas inaestimabilis res est - Liberty is a thing beyond all price. (Corpus Iuris Civilis)

Liberum arbitrium - Free will

Licentia liquendi - Liberty of speaking

Licentia poetica - Poetic licence. (Seneca)

Litoralis - Beach bum

Locus classicus - The most authoritative source

Locus enim est principum generationis rerum - For place is the origin of things. (Roger Bacon)

Lupus in fabula - The wolf in the tale (i.e. speak of the wolf, and he will come) (Terence)

Lux et veritas - Light and Truth

M

latin sayings to English[/b]

Magister mundi sum! - I am the master of the universe!

Magna cum laude - With high honor

Magnas inter oper inops - A pauper in the midst of wealth. (Horace)

Male parta male dilabuntur - What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost. (Ill-gotten gains seldom prosper.) (Cicero)

Malum consilium quod mutari non potest - It's a bad plan that can't be changed. (Publilius Syrus)

Mater artium necessitas - Necessity is the mother of invention

Materiam superabat opus - The workmanship was better than the subject matter. (Ovid)

Me fallit - I do not know

Me iudice - (I being judge) in my judgement

Me transmitte sursum, caledoni! - Beam me up, Scotty!

Mea culpa - My fault

Mea culpa - My mistake

Mea mihi conscientia pluris est quam omnium sermo - My conscience means more to me than all speech. (Cicero)

Medice, cura te ipsum! - Physician, heal thyself! (Versio Vulgata)

Medici graviores morbos asperis remediis curant - Doctors cure the more serious diseases with harsh remedies. (Curtius Rufus)

Medicus curat, natura sanat - The physician treats, nature cures
Medio tutissimus ibis - You will go safest in the middle (Moderation in all things.)(Ovid)

Melius est praevenire quam praeveniri - Better to forestall than to be forestalled

Melius frangi quam flecti - It is better to break than to bend

Melius tarde, quam nunquam - Better late than never

Mellita, domi adsum - Honey, I'm home

Mendacem memorem esse oportet - A liar needs a good memory. (Quintilianus)

Mens agitat molem - The mind moves the matter. (Vergil)

Mens regnum bona possidet - An honest heart is a kingdom in itself. (Seneca)

Mens sana in corpore sano - A sound mind in a sound body. (Juvenalis)

Meum pactum dictum - My word is my bond

Mihi cura futuri - My concern is the future

Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi - Excuse me. I've got to see a man about a dog

Minime senuisti! - You haven't aged a bit!

Minus habens - Absentminded

Mirabile dictu - Wonderful to say/relate. (Vergil)

Modus Operandi - Way of operating

Mors ultima linea rerum est - Death is everything's final limit. (Horace)

Multi famam, conscientiam pauci verentur - Many fear their reputation, few their conscience. (Pliny)

Multis post annis - Many years later

Multum in parvo - Much in little

Multun, non multa - Much, not many (quality not quantity)

Munit haec et altera vincit - One defends and the other conquers
Mus uni non fidit antro - A mouse does not rely on just one hole. (Plautus)

Musica delenit bestiam feram - Music soothes the savage beast

Mutatis mutandis - What was to be changed having been changed [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-24-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

N

Latin to English

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas es - Knowledge is power. (Sir Francis Bacon)

Natura nihil fit in frustra - Nature does nothing in vain
Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

Ne feceris ut rideam - Don't make me laugh

Ne quid nimis - Nothing in excess. (Terence)

Nec possum tecum vivere, nec sine te - I am able to live / I can live neither with you, nor without you. (Martial)

Nec verbum verbo curabis reddere fidus interpres - As a true translator you will take care not to translate word for word. (Horace)

Necessitatis non habet legem - Necessity knows no law

Nemo autem regere potest nisi qui et regi - Moreover, there is no one who can rule unless he can be ruled. (Seneca)

Nemo dat quod non habet - No one gives what he does not have

Nemo hic adest illius nominis - There is no one here by that name

Nemo liber est qui corpori servit - No one is free who is a slave to his body

Nemo nisi mors - Nobody except death (will part us). (Inscription in the wedding ring of the Swedish Queen Katarina Jagellonica.)

Nemo risum praebuit, qui ex se coepit - Nobody is laughed at, who laughs at himself. (Seneca)

Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet - No man is more deaf than he who will not hear

Nemo timendo ad summum pervenit locum - No man by fearing reaches the top. (Syrus)

Nervos belli, pecuniam. (Nervus rerum.) - The nerve of war, money. (The nerve of things.) (Cicero)

Nescio quid dicas - I don't know what you're talking about
Neutiquam erro - I am not lost

Nihil agere delectat - It is pleasant to do nothing. (Cicero)

Nihil aliud scit necessitas quam vincere - Necesssity knows nothing else but victory. (Syrus)

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione - I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult

Nihil declaro - I have nothing to declare

Nihil est ab omni parte beatum - Nothing is good in every part. (Horace)

Nihil est incertius volgo - Nothing is more uncertain than the (favour of the) crowd. (Cicero)

Nihil est miserum nisi cum putes - Nothing is unfortunate if you don't consider it unfortunate. (Boethius)

Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit - No fort is so strong that it cannot be taken with money. (Cicero)

Nihil est--In vita priore ego imperator romanus fui - That's nothing--in a previous life I was a Roman Emperor

Nil admirari - To admire nothing. (Horace)

Nil agit exemplum, litem quod lite resolvit - Not much worth is an example that solves one quarrel with another. (Horace)

Nil desperandum! - Never despair! (Horace)

Nil homini certum est - Nothing is certain for man. (Ovid)

Nil Sine Numine - Nothing without providence
Nisi credideritis, non intelligetis - Unless you will have believed, you will not understand. (St. Augustine)

Noli equi dentes inspicere donati - Do not look a gift horse in the mouth. (St. Jerome)

Noli me tangere! - Don't touch me! (Versio Vulgata)

Noli me vocate. Ego te vocabo - Don't call me. I'll call you
Noli turbare circulos meos! - Don't upset my calculations! (Archimedes)

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem - Don't force it, get a bigger hammer

Nomina stultorum parietibus haerent - The names of foolish persons adhere to walls (Fools names and fools faces are often seen in public places.)

Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat - It's not the heat, it's the humidity

Non compos mentis - Not in possession of one's senses

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema - I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem

Non erravi perniciose! - I did not commit a fatal error!

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via - There is no easy way from the earth to the stars. (Seneca)

Non est ei similis - There is no one like him

Non est vivere sed valere vita est - Life is not being alive
but being well (life is more than just being alive)

Non Gradus Anus Rodentum! - Not Worth A Rats Ass!

Non illigitamus carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis - Not for you, not for me, but for us

Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis - We do not fear death, but the thought of death. (Seneca)

Non multa, sed multum - Not many, but much. (Meaning, not quantity but quality.) (Plinius)

Non omne quod licet honestum est - Not everything that is permitted is honest. (Corpus Iuris Civilis)

Non omne quod nitet aurum est - Not all that glitters is gold

Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi - Not all those who own a musical instrument are musicians. (Bacon)

Non omnia possumus omnes - Not all of us are able to do all things (We can't all do everything.) (Virgil)

Non omnis moriar - Not all of me will die. (Horace)

Non scholae sed vitae discimus - We do not learn for school, but for life. (Seneca)

Non semper erit aestas - It will not always be summer (be prepared for hard times)

Non sequitur - It does not follow

Non sibi sed patriae! - Not for self, but country (US Navy Motto)

Non sibi sed suis - Not for one's self but for one's people

Non sum qualis eram - I am not what / of what sort I was (I'm not what I used to be.)

Non ut edam vivo, sed vivam edo - I do not live to eat, but eat to live. (Quintilianus)

Non, mihi ignosce, credo me insequentem esse - No, excuse me, I believe I'm next

Nonne de novo eboraco venis? - You're from New York, aren't you?

Nonne macescis? - Have you lost weight?

Nosce te ipsum - Know thyself. (Inscription at the temple of Apollo in Delphi.)

Nulla regula sine exceptione - There is no rule/law without exception

Nulla res carius constat quam quae precibus empta est - Nothing is so expensive as that which you have bought with pleas. (Seneca)

Nulli secundus - Second to none

Nullius in verba - (Rely) on the words on no one (Horace)

Nullo metro compositum est - It doesn't rhyme

Nullum est iam dictum quod non dictum sit prius - Nothing is said that hasn't been said before. (Terence)

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium - There is no free lunch!

Nullum saeculum magnis ingeniis clausum est - No generation is closed to great talents. (Seneca)

Nullus est instar domus - There is no place like home

Nullus est liber tam malus ut non aliqua parte prosit - There is no book so bad that it is not profitable on some part. (Pliny the Younger)

Numquam aliud natura, aliud sapientia dicit - Never does nature say one thing and wisdom say another

Numquam non paratus - Never unprepared

Numquam se minus solum quam cum solus esset - You are never so little alone as when you are alone. (Cicero) [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-24-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

O

Latin to English

O diem praeclarum! - Oh, what a beautiful day!

O praeclarum custodem ovium lupum! - An excellent protector of sheep, the wolf! (Cicero)

O quam cito transit gloria mundi! - O how quickly passes the glory of the world!

O sancta simplicitas! - Oh, holy simplicity! (Jan Hus)

O tempora, O mores! - O the times, O the customs! (Cicero)

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem! - Oh! More! Go on! Yes! Ooh! Ummm!

Obesa cantavit - The fat lady has sung

Omne ignotum pro magnifico est - We have great notions of everything unknown. (Tacitus)

Omne initium est difficile - Every beginning is difficult

Omne trium perfectum - Everything that comes in threes is perfect

Omnes aequo animo parent ubi digni imperant - All men cheerfully obey where worthy men rule. (Syrus)

Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt - All frozen pizzas taste lousy

Omnes una manet nox - The same night awaits us all. (Horace)
Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat - All (hours) wound, the last kills. (inscription on solar clocks)

Omnia iam fient quae posse negabam - Everything which I used to say could not happen will happen now. (Ovid)

Omnia mea mecum porto - All that is mine, I carry with me. (Cicero)

Omnia mors aequat - Death equals all things

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit - Everything changes, nothing perishes. (Ovid)

Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis - All things change, and we change with them

Omnia vincit amor; et nos cedamus amori - Love conquers all things; let us too surrender to love. (Vergil)

Omnium rerum principia parva sunt - Everything has a small beginning. (Cicero)

Optimus magister, bonus liber - The best teacher is a good book
Ora et labora - Pray and labor. (St. Benedict)

Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits! [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-25-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

P

Latin to English

Pace - Be at peace

Pacta sunt servanda - Agreements are to be kept. (Cicero)

Pactum serva - Keep the faith

Palmam qui meruit ferat - Let him who has earned it bear the reward

Pars maior lacrimas ridet et intus habet - You smile at your tears but have them in your heart. (Martialis)

Parva leves capiunt animas - Small things occupy light minds (small things amuse small minds)

Patria est communis omnium parens - Our native land is the common parent of us all. (Cicero)

Pavesco, pavesco - I'm shaking, I'm shaking

Pax et bonum! - Peace and salvation!

Pax tecum - May peace be with you (Singular)

Pax vobiscum - May peace be with you (Plural)

Peccatum tacituritatis - Sin of silence

Pecunia in arbotis non crescit - Money does not grow on trees

Per angusta in augusta - Through difficulties to great things

Per aspera ad astra - Through the thorns to the stars

Per varios usus artem experientia fecit - Through different exercises practice has brought skill. (Manilius)

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim - Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

Periculum in mora - There is danger in delay. (Livy)

Perpetuo vincit qui utitur clementia - He is forever victor who employs clemency. (Syrus)

Perscriptio in manibus tabellariorum est - The check is in the mail

Pessimus inimicorum genus, laudantes - The worst kind of enemies, those who can praise. (Tacitus)

Philosophum non facit barba! - The beard does not define a philosopher

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate - Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily

Plusque minusque - More or less

Poeta fit, non nascitur - A poet is made, he is not born

Poeta nascitur, non fit - The poet is born, not made

Poli, poli, di umbuendo - Slowly, Slowly we will get there

Pone ubi sol non lucet! - Put it where the sun don't shine!

Possunt quia posse videntur - They can because they think they can

Post tenebras lux - After the darkness, light

Potes currere sed te occulere non potes - You can run, but you can't hide

Potest ex casa magnus vir exire - A great man can come from a hut. (Seneca)

Potius Mori Quam Foedar - Death Before Dishonor (Massachusetts Maritime Academy Honor Guard Motto)

Potius sero quam numquam - It's better late than never. (Livy)

Praemonitus pramunitus - Forewarned, forearmed

Praetio prudentia praestat - Prudence supplies a reward

Prehende uxorem meam, sis! - Take my wife, please!

Pret toujours pret - Ready, Always Ready (304TH Signal Battalion Motto)

Primum non nocere - The first thing is to do no harm (Hippocratic oath)

Primum viveri deinde philosophari - Live before you philosophize, or Leap before you look

Primus inter pares - First among his equals

Pro bono publico - For the public good

Pro di immortales! - Good Heavens!

Pro opportunitate - As circumstances allow

Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent - A good seed, planted even in poor soil, will bear rich fruit by its own nature. (Accius)

Promoveatur ut amoveatur - Let him be promoted to get him out of the way

Propino fibi salutem! - Cheers!

Proximus sum egomet mihi - I am closest to myself. (Charity begins at home.) (Terence)

Pueri pueri, pueri puerilia tractant - Children are children, (therefore) children do childish things

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum - Garbage in, garbage out
Puris omnia pura - To the pure all things are pure. [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-27-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

Q

Latin To English

Quad nesciunt eos non interficiet - What they don't know won't kill them

Qualis pater talis filius - As is the father, so is the son; like father, like son

Quam bene vivas refert, non quam diu - The important thing isn't how long you live, but how well you live. (Seneca)

Quam se ipse amans-sine rivale! - Himself loving himself so much-without a rival! (Cicero)

Quam terribilis est haec hora - How fearful is this hour

Quemadmodum possums scire utrum vere simus an solum sentiamus nos esse? - How are we to know whether we actually exist or only think we exist?

Qui bene cantat, bis orat - He who sings well, prays twice

Qui dedit benificium taceat; narret qui accepit - Let him who has done a good deed be silent; let him who has received it tell it. (Seneca)

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum - Let him who wishes for peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Qui docet discit - He who teaches learns

Qui dormit, non peccat - One who sleeps doesn't sin

Qui habet aures audiendi audiat - He who has ears, let him understand how to listen

Qui ignorabat, ignorabitur - One who is ignorant will remain unnoticed

Qui nimium probat, nihil probat - One who proves too much, proves nothing

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit - He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow. (Ovid)

Qui omnes insidias timet in nullas incidit - He who fears every ambush falls into none. (Pubilius Syrus)

Qui scribit bis legit - He who writes reads twice

Qui tacet consentire videtur - He that is silent is thought to consent

Qui tacet, consentit - Silence gives consent

Qui vir odiosus! - What a bore!

Qui vivat atque floreat ad plurimos annos - May he live and flourish for many years

Qui vult dare parva non debet magna rogare - He who wishes to give little shouldn't ask for much

Quia natura mutari non potest idcirco verae amicitiae sempiternae sunt - Since nature cannot change, true friendships are eternal. (Horace)

Quid agis, medice? - What's up, Doc?

Quid Novi - What's New?

Quid nunc - What now?! (a nosy busybody)

Quid pro quo - Something for something (tit for tat)

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - Anything said in Latin sounds profound

Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur - Why do you laugh? Just change the name and the tale is told of you. (Horace)

Quidvis Recte Factum Quamvis Humile Praeclarum - Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble

Quieta non movere - Not to move (things lying) quiet

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Who shall keep watch over the guardians? (Luvenalis)

Quis separabit? - Who shall separate us?

Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando? - Who, what, where, with what, why, how, when?

Quo ad hoc - As much as this (to this extent)

Quo animo? - With what spirit? (or intent?)

Quo fas et gloria docunt - Where right and glory lead

Quo signo nata es? - What's your sign?

Quo vadis? - Where are you going? / Whither goest thou?

Quod bonum, felix faustumque sit! - May it be good, fortunate and prosperous! (Cicero)

Quod erat demonstrandum (QED) - Which was to be shown or demonstrated

Quod erat faciendum - Which was to be done

Quod incepimus conficiemus - What we have begun we shall finish
Quomodo cogis comas tuas sic videri? - How do you get your hair to do that?

Quomodo vales - How are you?

Quos amor verus tenuit, tenebit - True love will hold on to those whom it has held. (Seneca)

Quot homines, tot sententiae - As many men, so many opinions. There are as many opinions as there are men/people. [Big Grin]

Bob Maar

- posted 10-31-2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

R

Latin to English

Radicitus, comes! - Really rad, dude!

Radix lecti - Couch potato

Raptus regaliter - Royally screwed

Rara avis - A rare bird

Ratio et consilium propriae ducis artes - Reason and deliberation are the proper skills of a general

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert - Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris - Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's

Regnat non regitur qui nihil nisi quod vult facit - He is a king and not a subject who does only what he wishes. (Syrus)

Relata refero - I tell what I have been told. (Herodotos)

Rem tene, verba sequentur - Keep to the subject and the words will follow. (Cato Senior)

Repetitio est mater memoriae/ studiorum/ - Repetition is the mother of memory/

Requiescat in pace - Let him/her rest in peace. (May he/she rest in peace)

Rerum concordia discors - The concord of things through discord. (Horace)

Res firma mitescere nescit - A firm resolve does not know how to weaken

Res severa est verum gaudium - True joy is a serious thing. (Seneca)

Respice post te, mortalem te esse memento - Look around you, remember that you are mortal. (Tertullianus)

Respice, adspice, prospice - Examine the past, examine the present, examine the future (look to the past, the present, the future)

Revelare pecunia! - Show me the money!

Rex regnant sed non gubernat - The king reigns but does not govern

Rident stolidi verba Latina - Fools laugh at the Latin language. (Ovid)

Ridentem dicere verum quid vetat? - What prevents me from speaking the truth with a smile? (Horace)

Risu inepto res ineptior nulla est - There is nothing more foolish than a foolish laugh. (Catullus)

Romani ite domus - Yankee go home! (Monty Phyton's The Life of Brian)

Romani quidem artem amatoriam invenerunt - You know, the Romans invented the art of love

Rumores volant. / Rumor volat - Rumors fly. / Rumor flies [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: