Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Bob Maar's Joke-A-Thon   » Region Jokes A.K.A. Different Living Areas

Author Topic: Region Jokes A.K.A. Different Living Areas
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-17-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a joke, but very true to Boston! Very funny if you're from or know the area well.

TO ALL YOU 'OL BOSTONIANS ... you're gonna love this !!!!
and to any new Bostonians ... take notes!

Going to college in Boston?
"Mary-mutha-ah-gawd, you gotta be wicked smaht!"

But we bet you don't know some things.
Like, what's a three decka?
A packie?
How about a rotary?
Ever banged a U-ey?
Worn dungarees or ordered a frappe?
Even a Rhodes scholar would have a tough time deciphering the language Boston calls its own.

"New Englanders have had a long and strong tradition of eccentric ways of expressing themselves,
especially in Boston," said Boston University Linguistics professor Michael Feldman.
"It's very distinctive."

Indeed ~ and we'd have a pissah time tryin' to stump ya, then make fun of ya behind ya back . . .
but that's wicked mean. Instead, here's a little primah to take with you on the T, while you're on
the Common or in the Gahden, maybe catchin' a Pats game or sipping a regulah coffee at Dunks.

American Chop Suey ~ Found in school cafeterias, this delightful dish doesn't resemble anything
American or Chinese. It's macaroni with meat and tomato sauce.

Bangin' a U-ey ~ A U-Turn ... this is what you do while driving after you miss a turn and you have to turn around.

Book it ~ To high tail someplace, as in, "I better book it to Stah Mahket before it closes."

Bubblah ~ Spelled bubbler, it's a watah (water) fountain.

Der ~ An interjection indicating disdain for someone else's stupidity, as in,
"The old Gahden was way betta than the Fleet! Der!"
A.K.A. 'Duh!'

Down Cella ~ The basement.
As in; "run down cella and get me a dishtowel outta the drya."
Derived from upstairs.

Dungarees ~ Jeans. Hardly heard anymore, unless you're at some sort of senior citizens event.

Frappe ~ What the rest of the nation calls a milkshake.
But in Boston, a milkshake is just flavored milk ... no ice cream allowed.

Fried and Bizaah ~ Wee-yud, (Weird).
"That dude is wicked fried."
"Yah, he's totally bizaah."

Fudge-icle ~ To the rest of the world, a frozen chocolate pop is a Fudgesicle, but in Boston, the 's' is silent.

Hermits and black and whites ~ Cookies. A hermit is a molasses and raisin bar.
Black and whites, known anywhere else as half moons or half and halfs, are round,
cakelike cookies with chocolate frosting on one half, vanilla on the other.

Jimmies ~ Sprinkles you put on ice cream.

Packie ~ Liquor Store. You'll have to make a packie run if you want a kegga (keg party.)

Pissah ~ Good.

Rotary ~ a traffic circle. And in Massachusetts, those in the rotary have the right of way.

Scrod ~ a generic name for white fish. We think it's cod, but no one's sure. Usually breaded and laden with butter.

So Don't I / So Aren't I / So do I / So am I. "I have tickets to Aerosmith tonight."
"Oh my Gawd, so don't I!" "No Suh!" "Yah huh." "Wicked Pissa!"

Three Decker ~ Pronounced three decka, it's a three story house in which each story is a separate apartment.

A time ~ A party. "We're going to a time for Sully at McGuire's."

Tonic ~ Soda.

Wicked ~ Extremely. "Nomaaah's a wicked good baseball playa."

Yah huh and no suh ~ Yes and no. Usually heard during an intense conversation.
"I saw Mickey at Castle Island and he was with another girl." "No SUH!" "Yah huh."

Other tips: Don't say COPEly Square, it's COPley.

Worcester isn't WOOster, it's Wusstah.

Say Commonwealth Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue or Dorchester Avenue and you'll get pinched.
It's Comm. Ave., Mass. Ave., and Dot. Ave.

BOSTONIANS!!! . . . . ya gotta love us : )

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh please that list is friggin retarded. Everyone knows that you go to the packie when you need to go get another box of wine or maybe a thirdie rack. You get the kegs delivad!!! Anyone who lives in this fine Commonwealth already knows the proppa way to talk and everyone else should just stay the hell out!!! [Smile]

And your example of "A Time" is not correct...

"Were goin ova to patricks to have ourselves a time" is the correct way to use it.

But besides that it would be a wicked good list [Smile]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-19-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, my daddy always went to the packie to get a kegga! JERK HEAD!!!

And I'm coming home to have a friggin' time!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: