Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Bob Maar's Joke-A-Thon   » Heard this one on the radio.

Author Topic: Heard this one on the radio.
Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 12:31 AM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Their was this married couple getting ready for bed one rainy night when all the sudden the door bell rings. The gentleman of the house gets up and approaches the door to see who it is. He opens the door to find a drunk man out side soaked from the rain.The drunk man askes the other man if he could come out and give him a push. The gentleman of the house said "Go away, I dont have any intrest in helping you out". So he shuts the door in the drunk mans face and goes back to bed. His wife asked who it was and the husband said it was just some drunk guy outside wanting a push. The wife argued to the husband that they have been in situations before and have asked total strangers for help to. So the husband thought for a mineut and suddenly had a change of heart. So the husband got back up and grabbed a rain coat and rain boots and went outside. He shouted,"where are you at man?" "Im going to help you out". The drunk man shouted, " Im over here, on the swingset".

|  IP: Logged

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-16-2005 11:20 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 940 days since the last post.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-16-2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

No soap. Radio.

I keep getting email from people that says: "I don't get it. Please explain this joke to me."

Kinda takes the fun out of it, but if you really don't "get it", here you go:

"No soap. Radio." is classic anti-humor.
It has all of the telltale signs of a typical joke:

Situation - Mixture of mundane and absurd
E.g. Talking animals taking a bath
Cadance - Clipped sentences with inverted-checkmark emphasis.
E.g. "Two men walk into a bar"
Word choice - Short, simple words
Basic form - Situational setup, Conversation, Punchline
But in reality, it's simply not funny. There's nothing to "get".
And that's what's funny.
The humor is a result of the cognative disonnance caused by a violation of the expectation that it was a joke and therefore should be funny.

It works best in a social setting with a group of people who are in on the joke and a single person who has never heard it before. One person tells the "joke" and the rest of the group laughs/snickers/groans. This emphasizes the expectation that the joke should be funny, leaving the poor soul who's not in on it an unenviable choice: Either risk looking foolish by saying "I don't get it", or try to pretend they find it funny and laugh along with the rest of the group.

The most classic piece of anti-humor you're probably already familiar with.
Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: To get to the other side.

Other similar jokes cross the line from anti-humor to meta-humor.
For example:
Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Fish

"Fish" isn't a punchline, per se, as it has nothing to do with the question. However, the form of the non-punchline is (arguably) surreal. So, the seemingly unrelated punchline is resolved, but only by forcing the listener to cross meta-levels (which causes the kind of unexpected congnative dissonance we percieve as humor).

Editorial Comment:[/b] No Soap,Radio jokes were big in the 40's and 50's..Bob M[/b]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-16-2005 11:23 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated G [Smile]

No soap. Radio.

Two polar bears are sitting in a bathtub. The first one says, "Pass the soap." The second one says, "No soap, radio!"
Source: Daniel Lipkin, Stanford, CA, 1988

A hippo and a penguin are taking a bath together. The hippo says, "Pass the soap" and the penguin says, "No soap. Radio!"
Source: Matthew Gordon, Princeton, NJ, 1996

Two penguins are sitting in a bathtub. One penguin says to the other, "Please pass the soap." The other penguin replies, "Not soap. Radio."
Source: Daniel Sandler, Houston, TX, 1996

There are two ducks in the bathtub. The first one says, "Hey, gimmie the soap." The second says, "Radio!?! What Radio?"
Source: Laura Bennett, Lawrence, KS, 1996

Two nuns are in a bath. The first one says, "Where's the soap?" and the second one replies, "Yes it does, doesn't it?
Source: waughs@netcom.com, 1996

I'd like to thank everyone who wrote to point out the real punchline in this one. I'd completely missed it (Guess I don't have as dirty of a mind as some of you.) So, technically, this doesn't fall into the same category as the other jokes. However, due to the interesting superficial similarities (water, soap, nuns in their habits bearing a striking similarity to penguins), I'll leave it on the page

A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceburg. The penguin yells, "Radio!" and they both jump in the water.
Source: Lynette Hays, Spokane, WA, 1975

Two penguins are standing on an iceberg. The iceberg splits into two pieces, and the penguins start to drift away from each other. Just as they are about to lose sight of one another, one of them yells, "Pizza!"
Source: David Goss, Seattle, WA, 1996

There were two elephants sitting in a bath tub and one turns to the other and says "Pass the Soap" and then the other one says, "No Soap. Radio"
Source: John Treffeisen, New York, NY, 1973

Two lions were sitting in the tub together. One lion said to the other lion, "Pass the soap." The other lion said. "No soap radio".

Source: Sara Jansyn, scallionpancake@juno.com, 1998

Two penguins are sitting in a bathtub. The first one says, "Pass the soap." The other one replies, "What do you think I am - a Radio?"

Source: Steven Carter, Chicago, IL, 1998

An (insert ethnic group member here) is flying in an airplane. He points out the window at the countryside below and exclaims, "No soap...radio?"

Source: Ross Knights, ross@atg.com, 1998

Three penguins are sitting in a bathtub, and the first one turns to the one on the right, and says "Pass me the soap", and the other one says "No soap, radio!"

Source: Chris Hartleben, prophit@netaxs.com, 1981

Two penguins are sitting in a bathtub. One penguin says to the other, "Please pass the soap." The other penguin replies, "No soap. Radio!"

Source: Paul Perocchi, N.Andover, MA, 1966

Two hippies are sitting in a bath. One says, "Hey man, pass the soap." The other says, "No soap! Radio!" [Big Grin]

Source: Dave Benjamin, Wilton, CT, 1972

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 03:24 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FM radio story PG [Eek!]

..heard this on the radio few years back, and no joke:

Q: How do DOES (female deer) have a good time?
A: They go to the ELKS club and blow a few bucks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: