Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Bob Maar's Joke-A-Thon   » Naughty Words

Author Topic: Naughty Words
Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-01-2002 03:55 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top Ten Times in history when saying Fuck was appropriate:

10. "What the fuck was that?"-Mayor of Hiroshima
9. "Where did all these fucking Indians come from?" -Custer
8. "Any fucking idiot could understand that!" -Einstein
7. "It does SO fucking look like her!"- Picasso
6. "How the fuck did you work that out?"- Pythagorus
5. "You want WHAT on the fucking ceiling?" -Michelangelo
4. "I don't suppose it's gonna fucking rain?" -Joan of Arc
3. "Scattered fucking showers...my ass!"-Noah
2. "I need this parade like I need a fucking hole in my head!" -JFK (Okay, that one was a bit much)
1. "Who the fuck is going to know?"- Bill Clinton

|  IP: Logged

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 07:28 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated R

The word "nigger" came about from a Southren mispronunciation of the word "Negro." Right. So why don't they eat with a knife and a "fuck?"

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated PG-13

Don't spoonerize these words in polite conversation:

Hunt Cares

Fireman Buck

Sheep Dip

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-11-2005 01:00 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1004 days since the last post.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-11-2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated PG [Smile]

SACRED HEART PARISH

Waterlooville

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK

The other day I tripped going up the Presbytery stairs with a pile of papers and slid painfully (but unharmed) down most of the flight. Each step I bounced off was accompanied by a colourful word of the kind priests allegedly don't use which at least shows I have a fair number stored in my subconscious reserved for unguarded moments.

When Jesus says "Do not swear at all" [Matthew 5:341 we may not realise that he was referring not to "naughty words" but to the taking of elaborate (and unkeepable) oaths binding the person who made them to a course of action. "I swear by my own life ... I swear by God's name". It would be interesting to know what Jesus would make of swearing by the Bible to tell the truth for example.

What also would Jesus make of the information that his name, according to a 1997 survey of the offensiveness of swear words and insults on TV, comes only 26th out of 30 with a rating of 1.1 out of 4 preceded by a long list made up of the anatomical, the racist, and the depraved? One can almost believe it is true that someone was asked "Who is Jesus Christ?" and answered "Isn't that a swear word?"

'Inappropriate speech' is effective if it pulls people up with a start and makes a point. When Clark Gable says to Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind (1939): "Frankly my dear I couldn't give a damn" it may seem small beer but it wasn't then. It had a point like Eliza Doolittle's "not bloody likely". Nowadays there is so much 'f...ing and b...ing' in the media that it has become the equivalent of "um" and "er".

We may not be aware that the Bible has a place for bad language. The prophet Jeremiah attacks hypocrisy in the language of a trooper. But it has all been ironed out in the translations. Possibly this is just as well as otherwise we would never concentrate on the message. The playwright Dennis Potter said that if he was dealing with a controversial theme he would always put in a few "f....s" to put sensitive people off the scent and help them miss the point!

Does our language help our message? The most offensive language in the Bible, looked at from one point of view, is Jesus' own. When he said "I am" he equated himself with God and committed the ultimate 'blasphemy'. Not bad language as we see it, but at the time deeply shocking, and totally true.

Perhaps we should just all swear in Welsh. "Blydi" has a poetic feel to it especially if mispronounced. [Big Grin]

[ 09-04-2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: