Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Tubs or bags (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tubs or bags
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2019 01:39 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do people prefer popcorn tubs or bags

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-29-2019 02:01 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally prefer tubs, because they're more stable and make less sound during the movie, but that's just me.

Tubs be a bit more expensive and increase your trash volume (not so much the weight) quite a bit though.

For smaller volumes, you also have cardstock based containers, which are also fine in mine opinion.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-29-2019 10:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubs, for the reasons that Marcel mentioned (noise, mostly). Also, bags have a reputation for leaking butter, although that seems to have been mostly solved with newer bags.

Also, from the theatre's point of view, it is faster to fill a bucket than a bag with popped corn, so it should be possible to serve more customers with fewer staff.

If serving without butter, the white-and-red-striped cardboard boxes seem to work fine (they would leak butter and salt, though).

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-29-2019 11:27 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always used tubs. I had the outfit that I buy my popcorn supplies from send me two or three bags as a sample to try out one time, thinking that I could save substantial money by using bags, and within thirty seconds of receiving them I decided that they were not for me.

Tubs stand up by themselves and are easier to fill since you don't have to try to open them. And they look prettier than a bag, which is also an important feature when it comes to selling popcorn.

As for trash volume, it's easy to re-stack them when picking up the trash so they don't take up more space than they did when they were in the stack behind the counter.

The only disadvantage is that sometimes the tubs stick together in the stack a bit and you have to give them quite a yank to get them to separate. I think it's because the box they came in got banged too hard at some point between the factory and here and the tubs got wedged together since it seems to happen fairly frequently for a week or so and then it doesn't happen again for months.

But I would never want to use anything but tubs.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2019 03:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubs...not even a close call. Bags only benefit the exhibitor (cheaper and take up less space in storage). Tubs are much better for dispensing the product and holding the topping (for which I'm only interested in real butter).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-29-2019 05:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the chains use bags, which is proof that the best thing to use is tubs.

We use four sizes... 32, 46, 85 and 130 ounce. The 85 is our best seller by far, with the 130 being second.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-29-2019 05:41 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
If serving without butter, the white-and-red-striped cardboard boxes seem to work fine (they would leak butter and salt, though).
The self-folding type boxes often tend to leak (both salt and butter), because they're not glued together, but I've seen them pre-folded and glued together. They are almost as good as tubs for anything up-to a "medium sized" serving, just not entirely as stable. For anything bigger, I'd always go for tubs.

quote: Frank Cox
As for trash volume, it's easy to re-stack them when picking up the trash so they don't take up more space than they did when they were in the stack behind the counter.
Do you collect them separately or do you actively sort your trash?

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2019 08:51 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local health inspector will not allow dispensing butter type liquids in paper containers like boxes.

Buttered popcorn must be in a coated bag or in a coated container (bucket or tub)

This pretty much limits the choices for containers where butter type coatings are included. Salt is not the concern like the liquid substances that can penetrate the container and then contaminate the contents.

Buckets and tubs tend to be left on the floor after the show while the bags get sealed and taken home. This is especially true when there was a refill involved.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-29-2019 10:04 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pick up the popcorn containers and stack them as the first thing when I start cleaning the auditorium. So it's easy to put the stack in the bag before sweeping up the rest of the litter.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-30-2019 05:11 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you expect people to leave the tubs at their seats and not take them with them and dump them in the trash themselves?

quote: Kenneth Wuepper
Our local health inspector will not allow dispensing butter type liquids in paper containers like boxes.
That's a general requirement for any food packaging around here, unless the paper is made from a food safe paper (which excludes recycled resources) and printed with 100% food-safe ink. That's why practically anything here is coated.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2019 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer eating the left over popcorn in the morning right out of the warmer or popper. Its always better the next day!

Mark

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-30-2019 09:56 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's about a 50-50 split between people who bring them out to put them into the trash in the lobby and those who leave them on the floor in the auditorium. It really doesn't matter to me whether people bring them out or leave them. I stack what's brought out to the lobby first, then start cleaning the auditorium.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2019 08:18 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started with paper bags last year. Ultimately, I do like them more mostly because I feel they're less wasteful and them being less costly is also nice.

But, a lot of them will leak if you aren't careful about putting too much topping on. (I always had issues with everyone putting way too much on no matter how much I tried hah)

Moved over to the tubs and customers really like them more and you can serve customers way faster. I still have my small in paper bags until the stock runs out and because of that everyone orders mediums or large sizes now.

They really do increase trash volume. I had to add another garbage can. After about 150+ people all leave, they fill up extremely fast with tubs.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-31-2019 09:10 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use bags only. Different colors for sweet and salty. Coated for sweet, uncoated for salty. We fill larger number of these bags in advance to admission, the slightly extended handling time for filling them is not such a problem, as after so time, staff aquires routine. the different colors allows to separate them easier. But, we don't pour butter over our popcorn here.
What you refer to as 'tubs' - it's plastic, right?

- Carsten

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-31-2019 10:49 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The containers that I use look like this:

-

They are made of a stiff paper. They're just the same as disposable paper drink cups, but bigger.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: