Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Garbage (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Garbage
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-24-2019 04:24 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like we're going to be getting a different garbage service here about mid-summer. So far everything just goes into a big bag and gets put out for pickup on Monday morning when it gets loaded into the garbage truck by a couple of guys and hauled to the dump.

The new system will be a "curbside recycling" with automated pickup so everyone gets two bins, one for garbage and one for recycling, and the garbage truck driver never leaves the truck to do the pickup. You just put the bins out and they are picked up and dumped into the truck using automatic arms.

This is apparently still in the planning stage so I'll have to get some more clarification on it (such as do popcorn containers go into the garbage bin or the recycling bin) but my question for you folks is, if you already have this system at your place how do you manage it? It's my understanding that everyone is supposed to sort their garbage into two different piles but how do you do that when people are bringing their trash out into the lobby? Two garbage cans? Do people even bother to sort it or do you have to do it yourself after it has all be dumped into a single pile? Any other suggestions or gotchas with this system in regard to running a theatre? If there's something that I should be asking for or complaining about there's probably a better chance of getting the changes made while this planning process is underway than after it has been put into place.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-24-2019 06:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. I thought this might be about the alternative rock band Garbage.

Trash sorting sounds like a serious PITA for any business that serves a lot of customers. We all know good and well some (or a lot) of people simply will not play along with the rules. They'll throw their trash in whatever container is most convenient out of laziness. Or they'll do it over politics, 'cuz fuck recycling. Here in Lawton the city used to have several recycling drop-off sites across the city. The sites were unmanned, basically a series of dumpsters with labels on them for different materials. The city was forced to kill the program because too many assholes would dump all kinds of trash in the material-specific bins. Some businesses would even sneak huge piles of their own trash onto the site to shave the costs of their own commercial waste bills.

Long ago when my dad was stationed in Iwakuni, Japan we had to sort our trash. This was back in the late 1970's when Japan was still in the process of modernizing its infrastructure. They still had benjo ditches in most cities and towns. Flush a toilet and it would empty into a ditch by the street and that would empty into bigger canals, rivers and then the ocean. Some parts of the world still operate like that. Benjo ditches would make anyone appreciate the concept of sewer pipes and sewage treatment plants. Recycling was one of the first big clean-up trends there. There was only so much space on those islands. Not a lot of room for giant land fills like we have in so many parts of the US.

Our city did upgrade all its garbage trucks and provided residents with these large, standardized containers. The pick up process is more automated now. But there's no city-sponsored recycling effort. For most folks their recycling effort pretty much begins and ends by voluntarily taking plastic shopping bags back to Walmart.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-24-2019 08:54 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around here, there have been recycling efforts for at least 30 years now, but what strikes me is how non-standardized they are and how every country, town, province, municipality comes up with their own set of rules of how to divide your trash into containers and/or bags.

One of the most confusing systems I've ever used is the "blue bag" system in Belgium, where I literally have to look up on-line if stuff needs to go into the "blue", "red" or "yellow" bag.

Imagine how confusing this is, when you need to implement this in a business. Maybe it works if you provide three colored trash-cans for locals, who know how the system works, but what when you service many customers from out of your "recycling region", who have no clue what to put where?

For a cinema, where the type of trash is somewhat limited, you could, maybe solve it by putting on the bins which item needs to go where, but for any more public place, such a recycling system is simply due to fail, not because people don't want to recycle, but because the systems are confusing and that's what I'm witnessing right now.

I was in a German airport lately, where I really struggled to divide my trash over the 4 bins they provided... When is something considered to be soft plastic? What if something is made out of both metal and plastic? Etc.

Most professional businesses around here need to buy their own trash-handling, at least when it exceeds a certain volume. You pay extra, based on weight, if you provide the trash undivided, so there have been efforts with multiple trash cans all around here, but what needs to go into each is different, depending on where you are.

I know some cinemas that simply label their trashcans with stuff like "plastic", "paper", "residual waste" or some use icons, depicting which item goes where. The latter one works the best for me, but which system yields the best end-result, as in the best-sorted trash, I don't know. Others still provide single trash-cans, seemingly just paying extra for their trash-handling but skipping the added logistics of providing multiple trash-cans, labeling and separated waste storage.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-24-2019 09:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen documentaries how some garbage removal services automatically separate various kinds of refuse in elaborate conveyor systems featuring magnetic processes, water pools, etc. But that automation isn't cheap or widespread. Another thing that reminds me of living in Japan or even certain features of American life decades ago was the fact customer paid "deposits" on certain kinds of products. A soda pop bottle is one example. The same goes for an aluminum can or even a 2 liter plastic bottle. If you monetize the recycling process it will get everyone to participate. Throw away a plastic pop bottle and you're literally throwing away money.

We don't do that so much in 'Murica anymore because it's a flag-waving, patriotic thing to be a wasteful, pollution-spreading pig.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-24-2019 09:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the deposit system here for drink containers and milk jugs. You return them to the nearest Sarcan depot which is a work project for people with mental disabilities.

I just took a bag of bottles out to Sarcan yesterday, in fact. Got $13.75 for it. I just put all of that stuff in a bag in the basement and take it to Sarcan when it looks full.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-24-2019 11:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curbside recycling has been the norm for as long as I've lived in America, and was starting to make an appearance when I left Britain (where the receptacles are called "wheelie bins"): although it was difficult to implement in many British cities, because the density of roadside parking (thanks largely to the fact that many houses do not have any off-road parking spot or garage) combined with the narrower streets (typically, only one lane in each direction) was such that there was literally no place to leave the bins where the truck's robot arm could reach them.

For a home it's no big deal - we simply have a landfill trash can and a recycling trash can in the kitchen, and take the bags from both to their respective wheelie bins on Tuesday evenings, before putting them out in the street. I can imagine that it would be a much bigger problem for a business in which members of the public discard stuff, though - even if you provide separate landfill and recycling cans, you're at the mercy of your customers actually to pay attention and put their trash in the correct can. If they don't, it'll cost you significant staff hours in sorting the stuff.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-25-2019 08:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recycling has been a bit of a ruse to the public. By and large, it is a feel-good move that doesn't do what people think it is doing.

There are some items that recycle very well. Aluminum...that is an excellent recycling container. You melt it, you get aluminum back and it costs a fraction of what it takes to get new aluminum again.

Paper can definitely recycle but there are conditions in there an the yield is less than "my" standard of recycling, aluminum.

Plastics...there is little to no chance at getting people to get the nuance of plastic. For the record, the recycle numbers are the key..."1" and "2" plastics recycle. "5" sort of recycles. All other plastics...landfill. Try and teach that to the curbside recycler. And it isn't easy since you have both recyclable and non-recyclable clear-plastics. And really, they should have different bins for the ones that are being recycled (then you might get "4" worthwhile)...but the numbers would need to be "in-your-face" not barely molded into the bottle or device to aid in one getting it into the right place.

Some plastics also "gum up" the works...like plastic bags and will shut down a line.

In short, plastic recycling is a lot of work, is often misunderstood, and more often than not, is going to the landfill rather than being recycled.

We used to reuse glass containers (thinking soda bottles here but many glass containers can be sterilized and reused rather than recycle). We should get back to that.

We should also recognized the cost factor and yield of some "recyclables" and not bother until such time we have a way to make it make sense. And for some of those, simply not use them in manufacture unless there is no better alternative.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-25-2019 11:41 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always had the idea (based on no actual research on my part) that one of the most efficient ways to "recycle" trash would be to have a large incinerator and use the heat from that to generate electricity.

It's my understanding that some large cities actually do this and I'm not sure why more don't since it seems to be an ideal way to dispose of trash without requiring the people to do anything in particular with it. You would greatly reduce the volume and get some benefits back. I suppose the costs are high to get something like this started but acquiring special garbage trucks to sort trash and the like isn't free of charge either.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-25-2019 11:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The city just takes your theatre's trash? Around here, city trash is just for residential addresses. Businesses usually have a dumpster for trash.

How do other businesses deal with this? It seems unreasonable to expect customers to sort their trash, and even more unreasonable to expect employees to sort their customers' trash.

In addition to "paper," "plastic," etc., is there just just a collection for "trash"? My city collects "trash" twice per week (for residential addresses) and "recyclables" (in one bin, unsorted) on a different day each week. I think that they take cardboard on trash day, though.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-25-2019 11:53 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The city garbage pick-up is for everyone, both residential and commercial. They pick up the garbage one day each week, which day depends on where you are since they run the garbage truck in different areas every day.

We pay a fee on the water bill for garbage pickup. It's currently $5 per week plus a $9 per month "environmental recycling levy".

There used to be a spring and fall "clean up day" when you could put out anything that wouldn't normally be picked up (furniture, washing machines, trees) and the work crew came around with dump trucks and a front end loader to take everything away. They cut that back to just a "spring clean up day" once per year, and then stopped doing it altogether about ten years ago. I've always disagreed with them discontinuing that since it's a good way to encourage people to clean up their yards and it gives people who have something big to dispose of a way to do it, but the city said the cost of doing it was too high. You also have to pay an admission fee to take your own garbage to the dump, and I don't think that's a good idea either. It encourages people to dump their garbage elsewhere (or just not pick it up in the first place) and then someone else has to clean it up. I've had a few occasions where someone else's bags of trash have magically showed up on my garbage stand and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-25-2019 01:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our city has a couple of bulk-removal services. Residents can place cut tree branches in piles by the curb for pick-up. Tree limbs go in their own pile at the city dump, but don't get buried in the land fill. I think they're ground up and recycled. Residents can place bigger items like old mattresses, couches out by the curb, but have to call for a special pick-up. Residents can also haul bulk items out to the landfill for a $3 fee each visit.

Once a year we have a spring cleaning event in the parking lot of McMahon auditorium. There are separate stations for all kinds of things. People drop old air conditioners, refrigerators and other appliances at one station. There's a station for collecting old motor oil. Obviously they'll take piles of magazines and newspapers. Aluminum is valuable. Overall it's a popular, annual event.

quote: Steve Guttag
Plastics...there is little to no chance at getting people to get the nuance of plastic. For the record, the recycle numbers are the key..."1" and "2" plastics recycle. "5" sort of recycles. All other plastics...landfill. Try and teach that to the curbside recycler. And it isn't easy since you have both recyclable and non-recyclable clear-plastics. And really, they should have different bins for the ones that are being recycled (then you might get "4" worthwhile)...but the numbers would need to be "in-your-face" not barely molded into the bottle or device to aid in one getting it into the right place.
Worldwide we desperately need a change in our approach to manufacturing products with plastic, particularly any products that are disposable -like a 2 liter soda pop bottle. Too much of this stuff is getting into the waterways and oceans. It breaks down into micro size pieces small enough to be consumed by marine life at the bottom of the food chain. The tremendous level of micro plastics in oceans and lakes presents a serious health threat to humans. That plastic is working its way up the food chain and finding its way onto our dinner plates.

The debate about global warming is one thing. But it is an undeniable fact humans have turned many ocean zones into life-less, polluted toilets. The zones where fish are still plentiful are shrinking due to rampant over-fishing on an industrial scale. And many of the fish being caught are compromised with chemical and granular pollutants. If we keep going in this direction the only fish relatively safe to eat will be fish raised in farm environments.

quote: Frank Cox
I have always had the idea (based on no actual research on my part) that one of the most efficient ways to "recycle" trash would be to have a large incinerator and use the heat from that to generate electricity.
Burning trash has the consequence of greenhouse gas emissions. Some kinds of trash (like plastics) should not be burned. All kinds of harmful fumes can be released into the air.

In regards to power generation, I've seen some large scale landfills (such as one in Los Angeles) build pipe lines to use the gases that develop down deep in the pile for energy.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-25-2019 03:36 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Another thing that reminds me of living in Japan or even certain features of American life decades ago was the fact customer paid "deposits" on certain kinds of products.
We also have deposits systems over here, but they vary wildly between countries. For me, traveling regularly between at least three of them, it's not always making matters that simple.

Germany tends to have deposits on almost anything, ranging from plastic bottles, to even tin cans, only a few strange exceptions: If something contains milk, there is usually no deposit on it. All stores that sell the stuff, are obliged to accept empty bottles and cans. So if you buy a can of soda pop at a gas station, you can deposit it at the next one.

The Netherlands only has deposits on larger bottles, mainly plastic bottles. Smaller bottles and cans like 0.5l and 0.33l varieties don't carry a deposit. The system works almost entirely via grocery stores and supermarkets, where you can return those bottles, usually using a machine that scans those bottles and issues you a receipt. Those same machines are in use across Europe, where they have deposits on certain containers.

In Belgium, there is no deposit on anything, except on some glass bottles. But you're supposed to dispose plastic bottles via the "blue bag", which should ensure some kind of recycling.

I remember there was a big backslash for Coca Cola in the Netherlands, about 10 years back, when they decided to switch from disinfecting and refilling used and recycled plastic bottles to melting them down and extruding new ones from the molten material. The reason was: Those used plastic bottles often looked pretty beat-up, they wanted to increase their "image" and "perceived quality".

Plastics are a big problem for our environment, there is certainly no denying it. We've found micro particles of plastic in almost anything now. We only now start to realize the real impact in the long run. The fact that most plastics do not degrade, but eventually end up as micro-particles that enter our food chains on all levels, should scare the shit out of all of us, as we're certainly not made to consume plastics.

I don't know if a deposit system and re-usable containers is the answer to everything, because there are so many products out there and it's already an almost impossible task to have both Coca Cola and Pepsi use the same bottles, for example.

I think it's better to make containers out of stuff that's either very easily recyclable or bio-degradable, which is already a pretty tough nut to crack for some packaging. But no matter what, getting traditional, non-degrading plastics out of our disposable packaging should really be a top priority, or else we'll end up eating and drinking it.

An example that replacing plastics isn't always easy: A local McDonald's recently switched from plastic straws to straws made from some kind of paper product. Those things have an awful mouth-feel, so much that I simply don't want to use them and rather drink right from the cup.

Now, drinking right from the cup would be a far better experience if the thing wouldn't be made out of the most wobbly kind of material. If it would be sufficiently stable, I wouldn't need any more straws, not even a cap on top of it. But it's a perfect example how it's not all that easy to replace something simple like a plastic straw with something that's a true alternative.

Another alternative would be a little bit more flexibility from the big boys: Usually, when I'm on the road and I want a coffee, I pull over at a gas station and fill my own thermo cup at a self-service coffee machine. But recently, they had outfitted such a gas station with a Starbucks. No-way-in-hell they wanted to fill my coffee directly into my thermo cup, it had to go into their packaging.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-25-2019 04:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid there were standard glass soda pop bottles that were all the same size and shape but the different brands were painted directly on the bottles (Coca Cola, 7-up, whatever) so they weren't interchangeable except as to vending machines and the (wooden) cases that they came in. But both the cases and the bottles had a deposit on them and could be returned to any of the places that sold the product.

Now all of that comes in either plastic bottles or aluminum cans but they still have a deposit on them and you return them to Sarcan.

Beer comes in either a glass bottle or an aluminum can. Beer bottles are all standardized with a paper label glued onto them so they are interchangeable between any of the brands of beer. You return both the cans and bottles to Sarcan, though. Some years ago they changed the glass beer bottles from "stubbies" to "tall" for reasons that I never heard, but there was something like a six month time period when you had to return all of your "stubbies" to Sarcan if you wanted to get your deposit back.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-25-2019 06:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
By and large, it is a feel-good move that doesn't do what people think it is doing.
It depends on the city and the type of refuse they are set up to handle. In Salt Lake City, garbage and recycle refuse go to two different places. Garbage goes into Trash Mountain and recycle gets to go through exactly what it says it is. Most plastic is ground up and then recycled by selling the ground up stuff to companies that reclaim it. I think over the next ten years you will see plastic containers disappear and be replaced by biodegradable containers that break down in just a years time.
There used to be a CRT recycling place in Ogden, but I believe that is gone now for lack of CRT's. They used to separate the gun out of the neck and the screen from the bell of the tube with a special nichrome wire that melted its way though the glass. Then they'd vacuum all the phosphor off the screen and the remaining glass was mulched in a big machine and the glass put into bins and sold.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-25-2019 10:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, it isn't that there aren't plastic recycling places but a large portion of the plastics don't recycle or don't recycle well enough to justify the process. Again, type 1 or type 2 do recycle and people should be "trained" to be on the look out for those to get them to the recycling centers. Sometimes a type 5 can be handled. Type 4 rarely.

I'd highlight the Type 1 and 2s to get people to be on the lookout for those.

I agree that we need to use better materials to begin with rather than single-use pollutants. Except straws! Paper straws don't work well. Then again, I rarely use straws and drink straight from the glass/cup. Exceptions are in high-spill areas like theatres and stadiums. But at home or a sit-down restaurant, including fast food...I'm good with drinking right from the vessel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: