Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Have you unlocked some secrets to social media posting that you want to share?

Author Topic: Have you unlocked some secrets to social media posting that you want to share?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-28-2019 12:01 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite paying for boosted posts on Facebook, I have often been disappointed the the response to our posts. Recently I've started playing around with SnapChat and Instagram. I'm just curious if anyone has found some things that seem to help get attention on your social media posts.

Two things I've learned is that anything targeting younger people needs to be on SnapChat rather than Facebook. The past few years I've been getting frustrated with the diminishing number of applications we received when I posted on our FB page and local jobs pages. A few weeks ago I gave SnapChat a try after some frustration at figuring out their ad platform, I posted a paid ad saying we are hiring, and wound up getting the most applications we've had in quite some time.

Today I made a post on FB for the top 10 reasons to go to the movies on Thanksgiving. The post was a 1080 x 1920 image which didn't reveal the bottom 1/3 or so of the image. This resulted in the most clicks of any recent post. I'm not sure yet how to apply this to our regular posts, but it's a new bit of insight.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2019 05:00 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I made a post on FB for the top 10 reasons to go to the movies
on Thanksgiving.

My top reason for going to the movies on Thanksgiving was that
The Union paid time-and-a-half, and double time for the late show.

- - Christmas too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2019 12:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get quite a lot of "reach" on our posts (number of people who saw it) but we don't get a lot of engagement. I've tried about everything...."what's your favorite Christmas movie," "here's our top 50 list, which of these have you seen?" and such like that. I'm not sure what to do about it or if I really need to do anything about it.

I usually do one or two posts a week - the first one is usually on Wednesday or THursday and I put up the onesheet of whatever movie we're playing that weekend; midweek, I put up another picture (usually a "still" from the movie or a different one-sheet image) and say something about "it's the number one movie in the USA" or "it's one of those movies that you really need to see on the big screen...don't miss it!" kind of thing.

If I have the info available, I'll do a "fun facts" about the movie we're playing. Disney's remakes have been good for that -- I did one for Cinderella with details about the elaborate costumes, the locations, etc. People seem to dig that kind of stuff.

I also like to do posts marking any kind of anniversary or nostalgic things we have going on -- like, I usually put up a picture of our outside Christmas lights because they're kind of a local landmark. One year I did a post about our indoor Christmas decorations which have been unchanged in about 40 years. We're even still using the same "happy holiday season" trailer that we used in the film days -- it's about 35 years old, and I did a post about that. Those always get "warm reactions" from people who are nostalgic.

And of course whenever we do ANY kind of upgrade, remodel or such, I put up pictures and plenty of details. People love to see money being put back into the local businesses. We always get a lot of great responses from those.

A lot of theater Facebook pages (and websites) don't have any pictures of the theater itself.....put up those kind of pics, especially if you have a unique or historic building.

And encourage people to share your posts. One thing I've never done (but have thought of, and seen others do) is to run a share or "like" contest -- 'like this post and we'll enter you in a drawing for a free gift card' or something like that. I've been meaning to try that but haven't done it yet.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-29-2019 05:20 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
And encourage people to share your posts. One thing I've never done (but have thought of, and seen others do) is to run a share or "like" contest -- 'like this post and we'll enter you in a drawing for a free gift card' or something like that. I've been meaning to try that but haven't done it yet.
I do like and share contests every week for our drive-in to give away a few tickets. Along with a boost, these will get some decent activity. However, I haven't had the same result with our cinema.

Pictures of beautiful sunsets often get a lot of likes and shares on our drive-in page, but I don't know that it does much good for the business other than reinforcing that we exist (which has some value).

Still, I'm trying to figure out how to reach the under 30 crowd more reliably. I know the main platforms they are using are Instagram and SnapChat, but I haven't really figured out either. For SnapChat I made some stickers with our QR code and put them on the entrance and exit doors. This has helped, but we're still only about 50 followers.

I need to figure out a method for driving interaction. I've been trying to post something a couple times a week, and have done a couple paid posts. I need to figure out how to do some sort of promotion to drive responses and/or adds.

Instagram is a whole other animal. I haven't begun to figure out how it works, aside from sharing images.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2019 01:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here... every kid is on Instagram and TikTok and (to an extent) Twitter. Nobody under about 18 seems to be on Facebook anymore.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2019 06:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems the way the mega companies have figured out how to use these social media platforms in ways that are deceptive, but oh so effective. They get some YOUNG, hot looking wannabe model or wannabe actor, sometimes plying them with free product or even paying them, and they are encourage to talk positively and energetically about their products as if it is just an off-the-cuff show-and-tell discussion on the kid's "channel."

If all goes as the ad agency for the company has planned and the "personality" begins to "trend," they are in the money -- those viral channels bring in millions.

The deception of course is that while the trending "personality" may talk about other products, they are really just another continuous paid commercial, much like the TV infomercials, only with younger and prettier people and with a lot less transparency as to what's going on.

If you can get one of those young personality types to talk about movies that you are playing which they no doubt will love because they are woke (and it just so happens they love to watch them at your theatre because it is woke), seems that is the way the social media thing works. Just posting info about an engaging contest or, reasons to see a movie on Thanksgiving, while you and I think that is pretty clever -- very clever actually, the key is to have some 15 yr old present it with all the excitement that a 15yr old can muster.
Of course you need to put your ethics in a lock box for the duration.

Here's a sleazy fact: Ad agencies hire aspiring kid actors to go in groups of 2 or 3 to infiltrate groups of their peers at school and talk-up a product without ever revealing that they are in the employ of the ad agency representing the product's manufacturer.

The advertising business has always been pretty sleazy, but the internet and twitter and youtube only elevate it to a new level of uber sleaze.

In short, what works on social media is YOUNG people talking and selfie-ing about the movies you show and your theatre. I am glad old enough to only have had to worry about placing ads in a newspaper and maybe producing some radio spots to promote my shows. I leave it to you younger folks to have to deal with social media. Personally, I am most comfortable with anti-social media.

Hey Twitter... [fu]

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2019 09:55 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been getting a good deal of interaction with polls. For instance, if we're opening two films this weekend, on Tuesday or Wednesday I might post a poll of "Which film are you most looking forward to seeing this weekend?" with the title of each film as the option and a square image of each.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: