Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Why do new trailers seem to debut in theaters LAST? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why do new trailers seem to debut in theaters LAST?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-25-2019 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the social buzz right now is all about the new Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker trailer. So I eagerly tore into our Trail-Mix this weeks (because those buttholes at DCDC won't put us on satellite) and the damn SW trailer is not on it.

MAYBE it will be on next week's drive.

Meanwhile people are asking about it, and we are stuck showing the "older" trailer.

I know that "online" is "where it's at" these days, but if they would put the trailers into the theaters first, or at least concurrently with the online release, it might even drive more people to, oh I don't know, go see a movie in a theater. In a perfect world there would be trailers featuring content that would ONLY be seen in theaters...but no, we have to take the back seat.

If there was a plausible reason for this I would be fine with it, but it just seems like total stupidity to me.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-25-2019 06:25 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't get why the studios don't simply publish the DCP version of their trailers on-line, some indie distributors do so, but I don't know any major studio doing so... Even crazier are encrypted trailers...

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2019 06:34 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least in Germany Distributors make their trailers available through different online platforms like eclairplay.com and shark.de or dc.arri.de. Those 3 probably have 90% of all DCP trailers that exist.

Gofilex also delivers Trailers with their E-Delivery system.

No Trailer HDDs IN Germany...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-25-2019 06:40 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe, it's also more common to get feature DCPs via broadband.

Still, the absence of a good, international on-line content distribution network for assets like trailers and maybe even entire DCPs eludes me...

Ed Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2019 07:10 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you care to make your own DCP, You can download Star Wars Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Trailer 2 1080p DTS-HD MA 5.1 The Digital Theater

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-25-2019 08:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that has bothered me for a while. Studios could help push people to theatres by advertising that a certain trailer will debut on a certain movie. It may not help with most movies, but it certainly could help with Star Wars.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 02:10 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Episode I trailer was promoted as showing with Wing Commander, but Lucas got mad about that and had the trailer pulled- they were obviously using it as a reason to see that crappy movie.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 06:44 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great point. I'd love to see a push where they release a shorter trailer online, with a card at the end that says "To see the full trailer, visit your neighborhood movie theatre."

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 07:26 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive wondered this too. By the time we see some of these previews in theaters they have been circling everyones social media timeline for a month or so.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-29-2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, debuting a movie trailer online is really not the best move for movie studios. They really should appear in movie theaters first, that way customers can get their first impression of that trailer in a proper movie theater. It's not the same getting that first impression on a TV screen, computer screen or (God forbid) on a damned smart phone.

I would go even go a step farther with the trailers for highly anticipated movies, making those trailers an exclusive for the first few days in premium theaters (Dolby Cinema, IMAX, etc). The debut of a big tent pole movie trailer really needs to be seen for the first time on a huge screen with giant sound. Use those trailers as an additional "carrot" to convince people to see a certain movie debuting in theaters.

Personally I can remember the experience of seeing trailers for certain event movies for the first time in commercial theaters. I can still remember the experience of seeing the 70mm Total Recall teaser 30 years later because it was a simple yet very effective trailer. I wish there was a home video version of that trailer with an actual 5.1 track. The first teaser for Independence Day was great. I liked the first teaser trailer for Twister more than the movie itself.

I've watched lots of movie trailers on computer screens, some on my iPad and even on my smart phone. Even if I liked what I saw the details of the experience were instantly forgettable. Worse, the experience of watching on a small screen did little to sell me on watching the movie on a big commercial theater screen. I could just as easily watch the whole movie on the same kind of small screen.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2019 02:06 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> Why do new trailers seem to debut in theaters LAST?

Obviously, because the studios feel that theatres, even with their captive audience of known movie goers, is the least productive place to promote their films. Whether that is actually true or not is certainly debatable, but the people who control promotion for the studios certainly must believe it to be so.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-29-2019 03:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erroneous post.... please delete

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2019 06:03 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When are the "Trail Mixes" put together?

The trailer debuted Monday night (10/21), so if your package is refreshed every Monday morning, for example, they wouldn't have added it, because then it wouldn't have had its exclusive debut on Monday night like they wanted (and likely made a deal with Monday Night Football for).

For those that get their trailers by satellite, was it available via satellite on the night of 10/21 or soon thereafter?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-31-2019 10:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really have to question the "wisdom" of debuting a movie trailer on OTA broadcast TV during Monday Night Football. Perhaps there is a decent movie-ticket buying demographic watching that program. I'm sure there is also a contingent of viewers who watch pirated movies off Kodi boxes or modded Amazon Fire sticks. And there's always those football fans who just don't watch movies cuz movies are for nerds.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2019 11:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Perhaps there is a decent movie-ticket buying demographic watching that program.
They're just casting a wide net. Football always has a big audience.

quote: Scott Jentsch
When are the "Trail Mixes" put together?

The trailer debuted Monday night (10/21), so if your package is refreshed every Monday morning, for example, they wouldn't have added it, because then it wouldn't have had its exclusive debut on Monday night like they wanted (and likely made a deal with Monday Night Football for).

Ah, an exclusive deal with MNF. That answers a lot right there.

The Star Wars trailer finally showed up on our trail mix this week, which we got yesterday.

It should have been on the trail mix that came the week before the 21st. The theaters should have been able to debut it on the 18th.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: