Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Drive-In Robbery FOILED!

Author Topic: Drive-In Robbery FOILED!
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2019 08:02 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://cw39.com/2019/09/16/showboat-drive-in-worker-fatally-shoots-attempted-robbery-suspect-deputies-say/

Showboat Drive-In manager fatally shoots attempted robbery suspect, deputies say SEPTEMBER 16, 2019

HOCKLEY, Texas — One suspect is dead and another is on the run Monday morning after the men tried to rob employees at a drive-in movie theater in Hockley, Texas, according to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies and local firefighters responded to the the Showboat Drive-In at 22422 FM 2920 around 2:30 a.m. after reports of a shooting. Sheriff Ed Gonzalez tweeted the suspects tried to rob the theater as an employee and the night-side manager were closing up shop. Investigators believe the suspects were at the theater and waited for closing at 2 a.m. before making their alleged attempt.

“While they were upstairs alone, they heard some rummaging or something going on downstairs,” Gonzalez said. “They came down and immediately found one male that was apparently hiding, possibly in the closet, some type of utility closet.”

Investigators said the employees asked the first suspect, who was possibly armed with a knife, to step out of the closet and he did. The man quickly ran away without confronting the employees. He left on foot, but Gonzalez said it’s possible there was a car waiting for him.

Sheriffs said employees were then confronted by a second suspect who was partially masked, wearing gloves and armed with a bat.

“It’s possible he had been in the closet or possibly a back restroom,” Gonzalez said.

Deputies said the manager claims the suspect attacked her with the bat, forcing her to draw her pistol and fire. The suspect was hit at least once. Investigators confirmed he died at the scene.

“These folks are just trying to run a business out here— brings up nostalgia from here, I remember coming to a drive-in theater similar to this when I was growing up,” Gonzalez said. “It’s pretty isolated out here, so they did what they needed to to protect themselves.”

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2019 01:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my drive in. Glad my staff made it out safely. A shame a young man lost his life for no good reason :/

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2019 08:21 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn people trying to rob the place. Just a sad thing. Shame someone had to die over this. Shoot to wound.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-23-2019 08:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people say that you should shoot to kill because, as the saying goes, "Dead men tell no tales."

If a guy breaks into your house and you only wound him he could make some claim that you shot him maliciously and put YOU in legal trouble instead of him.

But that's why we have "Castle Doctrine" laws.
(i.e. If a person breaks into your house you have the right to presume that he means to do harm.)

We could go around and around on that point, for years, and get nowhere.

I'll tell you why you should never shoot to wound.

One of the cardinal rules of using firearms states: "Never shoot a gun at anything unless you intend to destroy it."

I believe that's a good rule.

Therefore, if somebody breaks into your home or business and you decide that it is necessary to use a gun, shoot to kill. If you don't shoot to kill then you must not have been 100% sure that it was necessary to use a gun in the first place.

If you're going to use a gun, you are essentially saying, "Final Answer."

If you don't really mean it, you shouldn't even pick the gun up in the first place.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2019 09:15 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do get your point about if you going to choose a gun then use it. But... As a life long gun owner I could not disagree more about the rest. Certain shots are for certain circumstances in gun carrying/body protection. They teach you that in concealed carry class. Imagine if all police aimed for the head? I don't like to argue politics tho. And everyone has their opinion. We are all owed an opinion.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2019 07:11 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to still live in a time in which people are deterred from committing a crime by the fact that the house or business they want to commit the crime in my be owned by a legal gun owner.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-24-2019 07:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarrod Reddig
Imagine if all police aimed for the head?
My understanding is that they are trained to aim for the middle of the torso, which is effectively the same thing in terms of its likely outcome. The follow the same principle that Randy identifies, i.e. shoot to kill, because if your victim receives a gunshot and survives, they could potentially (a) counterattack against you, and/or (b) sue you. If they are dead, they can do neither.

This incident took place in a rural, isolated location (as the sheriff interviewed pointed out), where the time taken for a police response is such that the business owner being armed is the only viable method of defense against violent crime (which this was: one of the burglars had a knife). Again, without wanting to get too political, I think something that people who oppose the right (of citizens) to arm themselves don't take on board is just what a huge geographic area the USA is outside the major metros, and that in much of it, you can't just dial 911 and expect professional law enforcement to be there in 3-4 minutes.

A related issue is that almost all the highly publicized incidents in which police misuse of firearms has been alleged (e.g, the Australian woman who was mistakenly shot in Minneapolis by an officer responding to her own 911 call, or the autistic kid and his parents who were shot by an off-duty officer in a Walmart in Corona recently) have taken place in inner cities or suburbia, which is likely adding to the "guns = bad and unnecessary" mindset among some who have never lived or worked outside such an environment.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-24-2019 08:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarod Reddig
I do get your point about if you going to choose a gun then use it. But... As a life long gun owner I could not disagree more about the rest. Certain shots are for certain circumstances in gun carrying/body protection. They teach you that in concealed carry class. Imagine if all police aimed for the head? I don't like to argue politics tho. And everyone has their opinion. We are all owed an opinion.
You don't always have to shoot, even if you did draw your gun.

You can always take a different course of action, besides shooting, or you can stand down altogether.

You could handcuff the perpetrator. If you don't have handcuffs you could tie the guy up. You could lock him in a closet. Once you have the crook at bay, call the police and let them take it from there.

Did you see the news piece about the cattle rancher in Oregon who caught a bicycle thief with a lasso? Yep! He roped the guy just like a steer! [Big Grin]

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hero-oregon-cowboy-lassoes-attempted-bike-thief/

quote:
EAGLE POINT, Ore. -- Twenty-eight-year-old Robert Borba is one of the last of a kind; A real, honest-to-goodness, cow roping cowboy.

Robert works at a ranch outside Eagle Point, Oregon. But he recently gained notoriety not for his prowess in the cow corrals, but because of what he did among the cart corrals of a Walmart parking lot.

This past June, Robert says he moseyed over to the Walmart for some dog food, and on the way out he heard a woman screaming.

“’Stop him! Stop him! He stole my bike! He stole my bike!’ And I kind of look around and all of a sudden this guy goes whizzing by me on a bicycle,” Robert said.

As security cameras show, there was no way to catch him on foot. So the cowboy did what cowboys do. He saddled up to save the day, armed with little more than a lasso.

“A couple swings and then I threw it at him, just like I would a steer,” Robert said.

“He’s like, ‘What are you doing, man? You got a badge?’ And I’m like, ‘No, I ain’t got a badge,’” he said.

Robert called 911 himself, describing to the incredulous operator how he was able to detain the suspect.

“We got a guy who just stole a bike here at Walmart. I got him roped and tied to a tree,” he said on the call.

“What!?” the operator said.

“I got him roped from a horse and he’s tied to a tree.”

The cavalry arrived moments later, led by Eagle Point police officer Chris Adams.

“I looked up and from the horse there was a rope connected to the ankle of a gentleman on the ground holding onto a tree,” Adams said.

At the left in the above photo, you can see the suspect on the ground, roped and tied like steer headed for the pen.

John Wayne couldn’t have it done better.

“I’d take him by my side any day,” Adams said.

“I told the cop, I said, ‘Man, you guys ought to pick up a rope and throw that gun away. You might have better luck with it.’ He started laughing,” Robert said.

He said taking action to stop a thief was just the right thing to do.

“If it was my wife or my little girl, I would hope somebody would help her if I wasn’t around,” he said.

Heroes, like cowboys, are getting harder to find, especially modest ones like Robert, who want absolutely nothing in return.

When it was, over police say all Robert asked for was his rope back. He coiled it up, tipped his hat, and then rode off into the sunset.

The point here is that there are often non-lethal options available and, if there is a non-lethal option, it is wise to take it.

However, if non-lethal options aren't available under reasonable circumstances you shouldn't hesitate to shoot.

We can go through all sorts of gray areas... What if it's a mentally retarded person? What if it's a drunk guy who came into the wrong house? Yeah, there are millions of things you can go back and forth on.

After you have gone through all the steps... Determine the threat. Assess the risk. Weigh you options. Etc, etc... If you determine that it's time to shoot, pull the trigger.

Two shots. Center of body mass. Game over.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2019 09:00 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo from the classes I took for concealed carry class they teach you a a few different locations to shoot. Kill shot is the heart so yes the upper torso. In a situation like the drive-in incident they would recommend drawing the weapon and backing out of the place while yelling you are armed and will use deadly force. All this stuff counts if and usually when you go to court over the incident afterwards. If your getting attacked then all bets are off. That probably what happened here. Truth of the matter is even those trained can't always do whats right in the heat of the moment. Big reason why civilians shouldn't do so. Also the guilt of killing someone is something that would weigh on you over the years.

Haha nice Randy! I hadn't heard that story. Yes thats a great way to foil a robber!

Ya sometimes just drawing a weapon can be enough to deter a criminal.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-24-2019 10:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing to consider is the fact that the employee was a woman who was confronted by a masked man. That makes it more reasonable for the woman to use deadly force.

If the employee was a man of my size and stature the use of deadly force could be questioned.

Without knowing more, I would say that the shooting was justifiable.

Not saying that the shooting was a good thing.

It's never a good thing when somebody gets killed, no matter what the circumstance.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2019 09:17 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile, just outside Calgary (Alberta, Canada) a rancher has been acquitted in the criminal case but now being sued by the "victim" would-be robber.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/okotoks-rancher-edouard-maurice-sued-by-trespasser-shot-on-his-property-1.4608161

Unfortunately, this is how it seems to play out here. That said, and despite the politicians who argue for more or less "gun control" for law-abiders in response to criminal gun violence, in all but the most urban settings, Canadians are generally quite adamant about their right to own and use firearms. I once read a statistic that we were perhaps #3 in world for per capita gun ownership. As I recall, it wasn't the U.S., but the Swiss who were #1 owing to the fact each household must own one. It's very likely that this survey was counting it in terms of "individuals who own at least one firearm" and not total firearms.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2019 05:42 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed Randy. Yes id say it was justifiable.

Wow Dave that sounds messy.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-25-2019 10:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This second one sounds more dubious.

The incident took place outdoors. There was distance between them. There was no confrontation or threat of imminent harm.

The person or persons were apparently breaking into cars but, from a distance, how can you be sure?

Firing a "warning shot" is a dumb thing to do.

Shooting a .22 cal. rifle at a person from a distance isn't a wise thing, either.

I would say that, in this case, the shooter was NOT justified in pulling the trigger.

Having the criminal case dropped really doesn't mean much except that the criminal case's proceedings can't be used as part of the civil case.

It's really hard to make a guess on this one because there isn't much information.

Did the perpetrators make threats? Were they chasing after the property owner? Were they shooting back?

In this case, I think the smart thing to do would be to call the police and keep an eye out, writing down descriptions of people and taking as much information as you can until the cops get there.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2019 11:17 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
I am glad to still live in a time in which people are deterred from committing a crime by the fact that the house or business they want to commit the crime in my be owned by a legal gun owner.

Except the data doesn't support that. In places with high gun ownership, there's more crime, not less crime. There's very little legal gun ownership in NYC since it's extremely hard to get a gun license here and NYC has the lowest crime rate of any large city in then U.S. and the murder rate is the lowest it's ever been and below what it was even in the 1920's and 30's.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-28-2019 08:14 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, I don't think the amount of guns is really the biggest factor. The amount of fear and self-control in a society is a much more important factor.

Switzerland for example, has a very high rate of gun ownership, not as high as the U.S., but still #2 or #3 of any "civilized" country. Yet the amount of people dying from gunshots per capita in Switzerland is far far below that of the U.S.

Personally, I think that potential deadly weapons should be licensed and people should learn how to handle them, otherwise they're just very dangerous toys. We do that almost globally with other potential deadly weapons called cars. Imagine how a country like the U.S. would look like if we just allowed anybody to drive a car without any training?

I'm lucky enough to have gotten some training at pointing guns in the right direction. Without any training, I wouldn't be able to hit anything that would be further than 10 feet away from me...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: