Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 3d feature with 2d integrated short

Author Topic: 3d feature with 2d integrated short
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-22-2019 02:18 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something that I haven't encountered before.

Angry Birds 2 has a 6 minute short and the whole thing is one single dcp. The short is 2d and the movie is 3d so when and how can I tell people to put their 3d glasses on?

All I can really do is put the notice at the start of the dcp and then there's six minutes of 2d after that before the feature and the 3d starts. When I saw that the short was 2d I was hoping that the folks who made it had put a "put your glasses on now" notice between the short and the feature but no such luck. The short ends and the feature starts and there's nothing else in between.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-22-2019 03:25 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should play the entire thing in 2D and watch how many people are going to have a serious good time with the 3D. [Wink]

I wouldn't bother too much, there were other releases that mixed 2D and 3D and most times, people don't even notice where it starts. The first Alice in Wonderland for example, started in 2D in the "real world" and switched to 3D once they were in Wonderland. It did come with a short notice if I remember correctly.

Tron did something similar, the first part of the movie, in the "real world" also was just 2D, I don't remember them putting up a notice though, but I could be wrong on that one.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-22-2019 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just play the whole thing in 3D. Put your "put glasses on" notice at the beginning. Nobody is going to say anything about the short.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-30-2019 11:23 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody noticed all week. Or if they did, nobody said anything.

I expected at least a few people to say "Hey, the 3d isn't working" or something like that. Nope. No questions or comments about that at all.

Strange.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: