Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Man is killed by movie theater recliner seat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Man is killed by movie theater recliner seat
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-16-2019 04:59 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daily Mail (my emphasis)
Father-of-one, 24, died in front of his wife when his neck got wedged under a Vue cinema seat's electronic leg-rest as he kneeled to search for his keys and phone

A cinema-goer died in front of his devastated wife from 'catastrophic' injuries after his neck became wedged under an electronic leg-rest, an inquest has heard.

Ateeq Rafiq knelt down after struggling to find his keys and phone.

The 24-year-old had been at the cinema with his wife Ayesha Sardar on March 9 last year and bought tickets from a machine for seats in Gold Class, screen 17.

After realising his keys and phone were missing he got up off his seat with the footrest in the raised position and went under the seat. A engineering expert who conducted tests of the chair told the court that about three-quarters of a tonne of pressure then clamped down on Mr Rafiq's neck.

Writing on social media Mr Rafiq's wife Ayesha Sardar described her last moments with her husband, who she called her 'best friend'.

'When I held your hand for the last time I felt you squeeze it with a different strength, a strength which kind of indicated you knew you were leaving me and Aairah forever,' Ayesha wrote.

'I was calling your name and I was holding you as much as I could and I told you I’m there with you like I promised you from day one.

'I was the last one to ever see you with your eyes open, the last one to hear your voice and the last one to see you smile and I’m so grateful to Allah SWT every day for giving me that chance as your wife.

'I remember you telling me you love me for the last time and I told you I love you back and our life together ended there for a while.'

'My Ateeq, see you soon inshallah.'

In another post, Ayesha revealed the close bond she and her husband shared, saying the 'nights are the worst' since his death.

'I just think of each and every day we spent together over and over again in my head,' she wrote.

'I think of what we used to talk about and how close we were to each other… we could sit there for hours and spend days on end with each other.

'There is really nobody out there who will ever replace you. My best friend. My love and my beautiful husband. I can’t wait to see you again and hold you and tell you much I missed you.'

Birmingham Coroners' Court heard that Mr Rafiq's body had turned blue after the accident and that it had been 10 to 15 minutes before he had been released.

Area coroner Emma Brown said his wife had tried to hold the footrest up when it had started to come down on him but wasn't able to operate the buttons to stop it.

Paramedics arrived and Mr Rafiq was taken to Heartlands Hospital where he died on March 16 after suffering a 'catastrophic' hypoxic brain injury.

Mechanical engineering expert Charles Stephens Simmons-Jacobs, who conducted tests on the cinema seat, said: 'I tested the force by making up a test rig that made up the pivot points.

'It was estimated to be between two to 7.5 kilonewtons - which equivalates to three quarters of a tonne landing on his neck.

'The reason it had this much force was so that it could lift somebody legs up and down.

'There was no reason for this much force for a double acting actuator to be use for a footrest.

'A seat with a single acting actuator would be able to lift the footrest by hand.

'I would have thought someone who has to inspect the seats would know there was something wrong with the seat if they couldn't lift the footrest compared to the other seats where they could life the footrests.

'On this chair we were looking for possible entrapment.

'If we find we cannot lift the footrest up then we know that when that footrest is coming down it's coming down with force and could entrap somebody.

'I would consider if you had mechanical apparatus that you make money from I would expect somebody would check them out every now and then in a risk assessment.'

In a statement, Ayesha Sardar described her husband as a 'loving father, son, husband and friend.

'He was always happy and positive and took every day as it came.He had a brilliant sense of humour and the greatest of hearts.

'There is not a day that goes by when we do not think of him. He is now a beautiful memory for his three year old daughter.'

Mr Simmons-Jacobs was asked to visit the Vue Cinema at Birmingham's Star City complex on March 27 last year as part of a city council inquiry.

He told the court the 'gold class' seats were fitted with a pressure pad, meaning the controls only worked when a customer was seated.

After a customer vacated one of the seats, the control box waited for four seconds before returning the headrest and footrest to vertical positions, the inquest heard.

The seat occupied by Mr Rafiq - C5 - was found after the accident to have a blown fuse.

Describing the tragedy Mrs Sardar she said her husband had used her mobile phone as a torch to look for his phone and keys.

She said at one point his whole body was under the seat with only his legs visible.

'The footrest started to come down trapping his neck. He called out in pain. I continued to get the footrest off. This was trapping my fingers.

'I then noticed there were no lights displayed on the control panel at the side of the chair. I realised I needed to get help and I ran outside Gold Class.'

After trying to get help Mrs Zardari went back into the cinema.

'I noticed his breathing was very bad. It appeared as if he was suffocating.'

Mrs Sardar said she found one member of staff and after about five minutes others arrived.

She said she had asked whether her husband was breathing and that when they did pulled him out, his body was blue.

The inquest continues.

The worrying aspect of this to me is that it sounds like a design flaw, not a malfunction. The footrest actuator is designed to apply that much force, and it has no way of knowing whether it is being applied to lift someone's legs or strangle them.

There are ways you could build in safeguards against this - for example, a pressure switch in the seat that prevents the recline mechanism moving unless someone is sitting in it at all, period, and no automatic movement following a timeout when somebody gets out of the seat in the reclined position.

However, if I were the manager or owner of a theater that had recliners with that setup, I would be seriously worried about liability issues right now.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-16-2019 06:40 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, anything with such power should have some kind of fail-safe. It's not that trivial to simply implement a fail-safe though, in such a situation.

Detecting the difference between crushing someones limbs or lifting them, might already be an interesting task.

The butt-in-seat detection seems like a nice solution, but how reliable will it be? And how do you distinguish between someone actually sitting there or a bunch of heavy coats being dumped on that same seat? There might still be a significant weight difference, but how reliable will the mechanism be?

And what about a low-tech solution in this case? Like a simple kill-switch in the form of a red emergency stop button, that simply kills the power to the actuating mechanism?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-16-2019 10:08 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this case, the problem with a kill switch would have been that his wife didn't realize that he was in serious difficulty until his neck was already held stationary in a position that was strangling him. Cutting all power to the device would actually have worsened his chances of survival at that point (if I'm reading the story correctly).

What we seem to have had here was a fail deadly automation system. The mechanism will automatically move after a set timeout period, in this case causing a fatal injury. The only way that action can be overridden is by someone sitting in the seat (to activate the occupancy detection switch and therefore make the control buttons live), which they couldn't do, because the victim crawling underneath it is in the way.

I'm shocked that this could have happened. If this can happen to even an adult, the risk to kids is even higher. I guess that the designers of the seat simply never thought of the possibility that anyone would want to stick their head under it, and therefore did not design any risk mitigation into it.

I truly hope that at the very least, the automatic retraction after a timeout period feature has been disabled on all of this seat model that are in use in the field.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 01:24 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the part of the automatic returning moving surfaces the first time. It seems the window is also just 4 seconds. Any responsible engineer knows that this kind of construction is bound to end up in misery. I also don't understand why you would disable the controls in that case, what's the worst that could happen? Someone playing around with his/her neighboring seat?

First I thought there was a runaway or uncommanded action involved. That's where a kill-switch could at least avoid the worst.

You could design the system in such way that all seats can be commanded to normal position from a central console, but it's not like I can't see that going wrong. What if the untrained employee hits that button during a show or misses that patron that is still crawling under the seat, looking for his keys?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 01:35 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like those seats should be designed with some kind of a cover between the footrest and the seat body that prevents people from crawling under them.

Same idea as the underride guards on high wheeled trailers.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-17-2019 06:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh.

Agreed that the chair should have been designed better. I used to work with a bunch of aerospace engineers; I was always impressed how they were concerned not only with reducing failures, but with how to make things fail in the least harmful way. Other industries should learn from this.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 09:02 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
Sounds like those seats should be designed with some kind of a cover between the footrest and the seat body that prevents people from crawling under them.
Constructing something that folds in and out together with the rest of the seat isn't simple and you will probably still end up with the possibility of people sticking their fingers into any remaining opening...

Thinking about it, the safest design I could come up with is checking for resistance while moving to the "down/closed" position. While moving to the "up" position can incur considerable resistance, moving to the "down" position should not do so. Also, the chance of crushing something while opening up into the reclining position is pretty minimal.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2019 09:24 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didin't this, or something very similar, happen at least once before,
about a year or two ago, or am I just having a massive case of DejaVu?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 10:07 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This report is of an inquest into an accident that took place on March 9 last year, so I'm guessing that you heard about it when it actually happened.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
You could design the system in such way that all seats can be commanded to normal position from a central console, but it's not like I can't see that going wrong.
True, and installing that ability would significantly increase the cost of putting recliners into an auditorium. When I've been doing installs and seen these seats going in while I've been pulling speaker wires (or whatever), the only connection I've noticed is to a mains power supply. There is no GPIO or other signal wiring to anywhere else, so these things can't be operated remotely. Installing GPIO wiring for 100 seats (or a NIC on the control board and the necessary LAN infrastructure, if you wanted to have them controllable via IP), and especially the relay boxes or network switches that would be needed if you wanted the ability to control each one individually from a remote location, would be hideously expensive.

I'm guessing that the "automatic return" feature is to prevent ushers from having to press a button on 100 individual seats between shows if a customer leaves their seat at the end of a show without resetting it to the upright position, in order to ensure that the auditorium looks neat and tidy when the next audience comes in. Ushers tripping over footrests in the dark if they're cleaning during a credit crawl after everyone has left is another factor. Nevertheless, having ushers press buttons on 20-30 seats between shows is vastly preferable to what happened in this case. Theater staff can be given safety training on how to handle these things: customers can't.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 11:41 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are sests with a master remote that will recline or return all seats in a room for cleaning underneath, and resetting for a show... people do clamber up and out of reclined seats for some reason.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-17-2019 02:01 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Didin't this, or something very similar, happen at least once before,
about a year or two ago, or am I just having a massive case of DejaVu?

Remember Neo: It's the mind that bends, not the recliner...

But yes, I remember it being covered exactly here. I don't know if it was the same incident though. I vaguely remember it to be in Birmingham too. If this would've been the second death in that same cinema, then those recliners-from-hell would certainly deserve some honorary mention.

quote: Leo Enticknap
Nevertheless, having ushers press buttons on 20-30 seats between shows is vastly preferable to what happened in this case. Theater staff can be given safety training on how to handle these things: customers can't.
New in your local cinema: "In-flight" Safety Instructions. [Wink]
Actually, the 4DX presentation I've seen did have something like a short safety video... Going to the movies is becoming more like flying every day...

Ed Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2019 06:02 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an article from March 21, 2018

It appears that it was the same theater and involved another "Gold" seat:

Washington Post Article

Copy of the article:

quote:
March 21, 2018

LONDON — A man has died of a heart attack after reportedly getting his head trapped in a movie theater seat in Birmingham, England, as he tried to retrieve a dropped cellphone.

The incident, which took place at the Vue Cinema in the Star City entertainment complex, was described as a “freak” accident.

According to The Birmingham Mail, the man had dropped his cellphone between two “Gold Class” seats and was attempting to retrieve it when an electronic footrest came down on his head, wedging him underneath. Customers pay more to sit in the reclining Gold Class seats, described as “luxury seating.”

Sources told The Mail that the man's partner and Vue staff desperately tried to free him.

“He was stuck and panicking. His partner and staff tried to free him but couldn’t.”

“The chair leg-rest was eventually broken free and he managed to get out,” the account added.

West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed it was called to reports of a patient in cardiac arrest on March 9. The man was taken to a Birmingham hospital in a “serious condition” but died of his injuries a week later, on March 16.

In a statement, Vue International confirmed the man's death: “Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening. We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March.”

Vue said a “full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing.”

A health and safety investigation from Birmingham City Council also was underway.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-20-2019 04:37 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With two very similar deaths within two years of operation, I'd say we have a little 737-MAX situation at hand here.

I can see how this auto-return situation can become a potential death trap when people drop stuff... something that could happen to all of us.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-20-2019 12:23 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My garage door opener has two sensors, one a light beam across the bottom of the doorway and the other some kind of a pressure sensor. If the light beam is interrupted or if something jams the door on its way down the mechanism will automatically reverse and open the door again.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-22-2019 12:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and every powered car window will also roll back down if it encounters a resistance.

Considering theaters are populated by people who can't seem to hang on to their stupid phones (we observe at least two or three folks flashlighting their way around under the seats almost every night) not to mention kids who have a habit of crawling into spaces where they don't belong, I'm amazed this hasn't been addressed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: