Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Fox Searchlight RIP

Author Topic: Fox Searchlight RIP
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2019 01:48 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Fox Searchlight (the arthouse arm of 20th century Fox) is part of Disney, best to prepare for its demise. Miramax completely failed under Disney, so I prepare myself for history to repeat itself.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-07-2019 03:06 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They haven't had a lot on their calendar lately, only three coming up. If Disney is going to cut things, I can see that being one of them.
Or maybe Disney will revive one of it's old labels is Touchstone still around) and start their own art brand, just to wipe out every bit of competition in the universe.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2019 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Croaro
Miramax completely failed under Disney
Not true at all. Miramax of and by itself achieved their greatest successes under Disney. Made or released in the Disney era: The Crow, Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Mighty Aphrodite, Trainspotting, Emma, Swingers, Sling Blade, The English Patient, Good Will Hunting, Scary Movie, The Crying Game, Life is Beautiful, Shakespeare in Love, Bridget Jones' Diary, Amalie, Kill Bill and plenty more.

The problem was one of scale. When you have a blockbuster mentality studio like Disney holding your paper, respectable successes like the films above don't cut it bottom-line wise. Miramax's biggest ever film, Chicago, made about $170,000,000 in its entire run. On a Disney scale that isn't even a good opening weekend.

I suspect you are right, and Fox Searchlight will vanish much like Warner Independent and Paramount Vantage did. Failures? Hardly, but just not adding enough to a major's balance sheet.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-07-2019 06:16 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are probably more examples like this, but, I shuddered when I realized that 'Alien' is now a property of the mouse madhouse...

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2019 08:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A High School Classmate of mine (Nancy Utley) is Chairman of Fox Searchlight. Will have to try to contact her and find out if she knows yet if they are staying or going.

Mark

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2019 11:56 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, maybe I'm confusing the date Disney acquired Miramax, with the date the Weinsteins left to form their own company.

I just remember there was a distinctive point where Miramax went downhill, and very rapidly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: