Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » NPR 1A Program on Movie Theater Industry

Author Topic: NPR 1A Program on Movie Theater Industry
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2019 10:44 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm listening to this on the radio right now. It will appear at https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510316/1a once the "theatrical window" (all stations have had a chance to broadcast the show) has expired. They discuss declining attendance and increasing prices, competition from streaming services, etc.

Still listening, but it's interesting so far.

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2019 12:27 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't listened to it yet, but films like this latest Avengers film prove that you can still fill seats if you play the right content. In this context, "right" doesn't necessarily mean good - it means films that will draw customers.

Domestic boxoffice hit a record last year. That's largely due to increasing prices, although according to the trades, the average ticket price is just over $9 ("The Numbers" has it at $9.11 and "Box Office Mojo" has it at $9.03 and $9 really isn't very much money. Look at the price of almost any other entertainment outside of the home.

On the other hand, as I've posted before, AMC, the largest theater chain, only averages 92 patrons per day, per screen. That's quite incredibly awful and I'm amazed they can stay in business at that level. They did lose $487 million in 2017, but had a slight $110 million profit in 2018.

I'm not going to pretend to know more than theater owners, but it does seem to me that this rush to pull out all the seats to install lounge seating is not necessarily the best strategy. Every time a show sells out because there's not enough capacity, money is being left on the table. Unlike back in the day, when a film like Star Wars played for a year, patrons who can't get into a show don't necessarily come back - they just might wait for home video, which isn't that long a wait these days.

In Manhattan, the Regal E-Walk (13 screens) was originally 3276 seats and it's now around 1344. Landmark opened a new theater where the smallest screens have just 19, 22 and 25 seats. That's not the way I want to see a movie. At the (AMC) Loew's Lincoln Square, screen #1 (originally called the Loews) used to have 814 seats. It's now a Dolby screen with just 289 seats.

But film attendance has been declining since 1947, so it's nothing new. And even in the 1960's and 70's, the "golden age" of roadshow attractions in very large theaters, overall attendance was pretty bad. In 1946, there were about 86 million weekly domestic admissions. By 1950, it dropped to 50 million. In 1964 it was 20 million. In 1984, it was 23 million. In 2002, it achieved a modern peak of 30 million. In 2018, it was 25 to 26 million. (Of course, the population has gotten much larger over the years, so movies per capita has dropped even when the total number of weekly admissions has remained the same.)

In the coming years, I think it's inevitable that many theaters will be closing. On the other hand, after a series of closures in NYC, there are a number of a new theaters in the works: Alamo is opening a 12 screen downtown and a 10 screen in Staten Island, Regal is opening a 14 screen on the lower east side and Regal is opening a 7 screen in a new development in Flushing, Queens - a total of 43 screens.

But not including those, NYC has lost 40% of its theaters since 1999, 15% of the net screen count since 2001, 32% of the seat count since July of 2012 and 59% of the seat count since mid-1987.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2019 12:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Brooks
Domestic boxoffice hit a record last year. That's largely due to increasing prices, although according to the trades, the average ticket price is just over $9 ("The Numbers" has it at $9.11 and "Box Office Mojo" has it at $9.03 and $9 really isn't very much money. Look at the price of almost any other entertainment outside of the home.
I don't know where they're coming up with that $9 figure. It sure seems like that average should be at least a couple or so bucks higher. Just going off what's available in my region, which has some of the lower living costs in the nation (along with fucking low wages), matinee ticket prices for ordinary screens are at or near $9 and the evening ticket prices are between $11 and $14. Throw in a premium thing like IMAX with Xenon the cost is in the $17-$20 range per ticket. And that's here in freaking Lawton, Oklahoma.

For a couple taking a night out at the movies in my town it's easy for a pair of tickets alone to cost close to $40. A trip to the snack bar can push the total cost to $50 if they share a popcorn and drink and over $60 if they get their own drinks and popcorn. God forbid if they have kids and want to pay for a babysitter. Or eat out before the show. The cost will balloon out from there well north of $100. I don't know what the "average person" is making in New York City or Los Angeles. But I do know that not very many people in my town are making solid six-figure annual incomes. Strangely a LOT of things are getting priced as if everyone is rich, not just theater tickets. Price gouging is happening with housing, health care, higher education, cars and more. Yet somehow the nation's official inflation rate is low.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-01-2019 04:27 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're at $10 and $8, so average out to $9.

I don't know how they count and what they average to come up with $9 for the country. Do they factor in discount houses? Matinee prices? All of the add-ons? Taxes?

The local AMC is an AMC Classic, which means a dollar house in most places, but here it is $3.99 before 5 and $5.99 evenings. And they run first run. Yes, catch a matinee of the Avengers for $3.99. Not sure how they get away with it other than they are AMC. When I mention it to the distributors I work with, they always express surprise (and then book the movies in their anyway).

So, at least in this corner of the universe, a $9 average doesn't seem out of line.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-02-2019 11:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brooklyn NY -- I haven't gone to a movie for a few years now that doesn't cost $12, and because I like to go to LIEMAX 3D (it's the only way I can enjoy 3D -- RealDim 3D is the reason people hate 3D) -- that LIEMAX trip tops out at $24. Non-IMAX, non-blockbusters, 16 bucks, $12 if you are an old fart like me. And I simply eat at home before I go out to avoid the concessions ripoff. I never could understand why people feel they absolutely HAVE to strap on a feed bag containing very expensive, barely edible quasi-food in order to watch a movie and then bitch and moan about how expensive it is.

BTW, I heard that this AVENGERS is already out on some torrent site. Can anyone confirm that?

Ed Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2019 03:02 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a direct link to the podcast:

https://the1a.org/audio/#/shows/2019-04-25/hollywood-roundup/117452/@00:00

Mark Lane
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2019 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lane   Email Mark Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The local AMC is an AMC Classic, which means a dollar house in most places, but here it is $3.99 before 5 and $5.99 evenings. And they run first run. Yes, catch a matinee of the Avengers for $3.99. Not sure how they get away with it other than they are AMC. When I mention it to the distributors I work with, they always express surprise (and then book the movies in their anyway)."

We are showing Avengers Endgame and only charge $3.00 for weekdays and matinees, $5.00 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Discount days are often $1.00.
We don't go through a booker, we work directly with the studios and our relationship with Disney has grown stronger. Disney doesn't care what we charge, they only focus on our bottom line.

New to this forum.. will update the profile soon.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2019 11:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I don't know where they're coming up with that $9 figure. It sure seems like that average should be at least a couple or so bucks higher. Just going off what's available in my region, which has some of the lower living costs in the nation (along with fucking low wages), matinee ticket prices for ordinary screens are at or near $9 and the evening ticket prices are between $11 and $14. Throw in a premium thing like IMAX with Xenon the cost is in the $17-$20 range per ticket. And that's here in freaking Lawton, Oklahoma.
We've been over this before.

You guys have got to remember that large cities (100,000 and more) aren't the only places that have movie theaters.

And, the average price is not calculated on the "adult ticket price." It's calculated on the TOTAL gross from each cinema divided by the total number of tickets sold at all prices, including cheaper kids prices.

Our ticket price for adults here at the Roxy is $7.75, and the Montana Theatre down the road from us in Miles City is $6.50. The Cottonwood Theatre in Big Timber is $7.00, and the very famous Washoe Theatre in Anaconda (a classic art-deco house with 1400 seats) is $5.00.

The Hyart Theatre in Lovell, Wyoming, which has the best sound system in about a 20-state region, is $5.00, and the Vali Twin in Powell, WY is the highest price of this whole group, at $8.00.

These are just the few I know about firsthand.

And all of us have even lower prices for kids.

None of the above listed towns have populations over 9,000. We're all first run theaters (all but the Washoe and the Cottonwood are showing Avengers Endgame right now) and there are THOUSANDS more like us all over the country.

That's why the average price isn't higher.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2019 12:48 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Yet somehow the nation's official inflation rate is low.
I think the basket they use doesn't reflect the reality for most people. Because every single thing I can think of, except for electronics, computers and recorded music, has far exceeded the official inflation rate, from candy bars to public transit to college to healthcare to housing prices. Healthcare alone, which is reportedly 25% of GDP, should be substantially driving up the inflation rate.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-04-2019 12:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that makes the "core CPI" figure mostly bullshit is the fact they exclude food and fuel prices. If you're in a more modest income bracket those volatile food and fuel figures take a larger percentage bite out of the budget than someone pulling down a six figure annual income. Anyone of modest means can have most of their take home pay killed by the basics.

quote: Mike Blakesley
None of the above listed towns have populations over 9,000. We're all first run theaters (all but the Washoe and the Cottonwood are showing Avengers Endgame right now) and there are THOUSANDS more like us all over the country.
Yet the vast majority of America's population is in urban centers where it costs a lot more for everything, including trips to the movies. The shift of people leaving rural areas as well as smaller cities and towns for bigger metros is increasing (despite the stupid high costs of living in big cities). I don't live in a giant sized city yet I'm paying more than that stated average for movie tickets. Add to that the activity of chains like AMC and Regal buying up other chains, eliminating competition. That only encourages prices to rise more. I think they're using a bit of spin to come up with that average figure. An indie theater in a small town would have the same weight in the average as a big multiplex in a giant city that sells far more tickets. I think if they took the total number of tickets sold, factoring in the prices paid for each ticket the average price would come out higher.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: