Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Avengers: Endgame does NOT have any in-credits scenes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame does NOT have any in-credits scenes
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-25-2019 02:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just putting this info out there in case anyone wants to make a boxoffice sign or something stating that there are NO mid- or end-credits scenes in the new Avengers movie. Once the minor cast names appear onscreen, the major cast's autographs are shown along with their names (which is kind of cool) and then...that's it.

I expect more than one patron is going to sit through the whole credit roll and then go ... what??!

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-25-2019 04:22 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine we could go back to this time where a movie properly introduced itself at the beginning and was finished once the end-credits got rolling? [Wink]

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2019 04:54 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine this time when a movie properly introduced itself and finished when "THE END" came on screen.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2019 08:35 AM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So. It sounds like they're pulling a Star Trek 6 and capping out this era of Marvel movies with signatures.

To me, the cast signatures at the end of ST6 was a meaningful wrap up to nearly 30 years with the original Enterprise crew. Its fairly emotional even when I dive into it to this day.

I wonder if I will feel the same way with Endgame. Probably not, unfortunately. There's just not been enough time to manifest the same connections.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-25-2019 10:13 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, was hoping for a scene that teased an entire reboot and retcon to the whole series [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-25-2019 12:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Foyster
Imagine this time when a movie properly introduced itself and finished when "THE END" came on screen.
I don't mind the scrolling end credits but I hate the current trend of not putting the title up front. (WHY?!!) It gives me the strange feeling that the movie still hasn't really started yet and I find it harder to settle into the story for some reason.

This movie has an opening title card but it's about 15 or 20 minutes in.

Also I should clarify for anybody who hasn't looked at it yet.... when I said "that's it" in my first post, I meant in terms of pictures on the screen. There is still the standard 13 or so minutes of credits after that.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-25-2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't mind the scrolling end credits but I hate the current trend of not putting the title up front. (WHY?!!) It gives me the strange feeling that the movie still hasn't really started yet and I find it harder to settle into the story for some reason.
It's one of those overused trends that made your movie feel "different" and therefore more important...

And I agree with you, it's just plain stupid. I remember Avatar (2009) putting it at the end of the movie, just before the credits... There might be a few others guilty of the same practice, but I can't come up with a different one at the moment.

Everything that happens before the main title card, at least for me, tends to feels like an introduction. Maybe, for a sequel it does make sense to have an introductory moment, where you recap how you got here, but that doesn't need to be 15 minutes...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-25-2019 05:35 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, Apocalypse Now (at least the 70mm version) did not have opening credits, which took lots of negotiating with the usual contracted entities. Somewhere along the way the credit contracts must have been altered to allow no credits until the end.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2019 05:54 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original 70mm release of Apocalypse Now did not have any credits at the end either. I once ran a 35mm print of it as well that did not have either.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2019 06:20 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original engagements of Apocalypse Now had an accompanying pre-printed program with the credits. As I recall, there was a credit sequence on a seperate reel that could be run when the programs ran out. Visually, it was the the titles superimposed over the jungle getting napalmed.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-25-2019 06:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original 70mm release of Apocalypse Now was done as a unique roadshow style release. No credits on the front or tail of the film. However, audience members were given printed booklets with the film title, cast credits, etc.

End credits were attached to later re-releases of Apocalypse Now. I recall seeing one version with the credits listed on a black screen and another one where the credits were super-imposed over the footage of the Kurtz compound being blown to bits. Early home video releases had those end credits attached. The 2-disc Blu-ray of Apocalypse Now (which also contains the Hearts of Darkness documentary goes into detail about the release. It also explains that footage of the compound destruction and why they had to demolish it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-26-2019 03:30 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
As I recall, Apocalypse Now (at least the 70mm version) did not have opening credits, which took lots of negotiating with the usual contracted entities. Somewhere along the way the credit contracts must have been altered to allow no credits until the end.
I remember George Lucas actually paying a fine to the Directors Guild of America for not adhering to common opening credits for the Star Wars sequels under his watch.

There indeed are no credits in the opening scenes of any of those Star Wars movies, but at least they consistently put the name of the Episode at the very front of the movie.

I remember playing the 35mm Redux version of Apocalypse Now. As far as I remember, it indeed didn't have a title card or credits at the start, like the original. But it did have proper credits at the end. The first time the words Apocalypse Now appear is when they first approach Colonel Kurtz's outpost.

We used to play the movie with a short introduction speech, where the movie was properly introduced. I guess that somehow compensated for a missing title card at the beginning. [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-26-2019 06:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The George Lucas credit thing was more complicated because the movie opened up with Lucasfilm Ltd. Some claimed that was a credit with his name and required the normal opening credits.

You can do a no-opening credit movie without violation (there are numerous ones, even today) but if you list one, then there are the required ones finishing with the director.

Oh, on Apocalypse Now, no 70mm print I ever ran had end credits. All 35mm prints had them (again, of all that I have run over the years).

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-26-2019 08:07 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be apocryphal, I have never bothered to confirm it, but I was told that IATSE demanded their logo bug be in the credits, as per contract, so it is shown on a wall or something during the movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-26-2019 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So last night, there were a handful of people who stayed throughout the credits and there was indeed a collective "Whaaaaa?!" from them when the screen lights came back up.

There IS, however, a soft-but-audible clanging sound over the ending Marvel logo, sounds like a hammer hitting an anvil or similar. Lots of online speculation on what that could mean. I told one lady I know (an uberfan) that there was no ending scenes, but "there is a sound," I said. She came out of the show just wide-eyed with excitement over what that could be. So... maybe it's best to let people discover for themselves. It's truly something for those die-hard fans, maybe the most cryptic Easter egg ever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: