Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The viability of 4DX

Author Topic: The viability of 4DX
Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-05-2019 06:55 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last six or so months, about three 4DX equipped theaters opened within a radius of about 30 miles around me. Now, I’m not living in the middle of nowhere (although I know people who don’t agree with me on that), but it’s not like I’m living in central Manhattan either.

For those who don’t know what 4DX is and are too lazy to Google, it essentially converts your auditorium into a "cheap" 37.5D-themepark ride. It's essentially D-Box on steroids, plus it sprays water in your face (or into the air, so it falls back onto your head... and your face), puts smoke and soap bubbles in the theater, blows a random fan now and then, flashes some stroboscopes and releases some more or less toxic fumes into the theater now and then. With its "top notch" effects, it almost feels like an 80's disco party, minus the disco ball.

One major difference between 4DX and D-Box is that you need to offer an entire room to the system and can't mix it with regular seats. So, in practice, it's one of the smaller rooms that gets the 4DX treatment, unlike with many of the PLF formats, where it's mostly the bigger rooms that are selected.

I’ve been told that retrofitting 4DX into an existing theater will set you back anywhere from $700k to infinity, depending on the size of the theater.

Now, that's a sizable investment for a single theater, especially since the figure is a guideline for a room with about 100 seats.

Until now, those 4DX shows seem to sell pretty well, although the reactions I'm hearing are pretty mixed. It's still "new" and people seemingly are willing to try it. But I'm pretty sure the novelty wears off after one or two shows for most people.

Those 4DX tickets sell with a hefty up-charge, but still, you need to sell an awful lot of tickets to just get your investment back. Also, we didn't even cover the potential maintenance costs for those systems.

It seems like the big chains around here see it as a viable investment, or maybe they take it as a "loss leader", in the general race of grabbing people's attention. I'm wondering though, how many of those installs will still be around in 3 to 5 years...

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-05-2019 07:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I regularly find 4DX press news on new installations, and frankly, am clueless why they seem to be doing so well. Expensive trash for me.

- Carsten

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-05-2019 08:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

-

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-05-2019 10:32 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good way to make a bunch of people sick, unless the water is well chlorinated. And who wants to smell bleach while watching a movie? Not to mention getting water in your popcorn and on your glasses...

No thanks.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-06-2019 03:06 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen one show in 4DX now, for me that's sufficient to draw the conclusion that my expectations were met: It's an expensive gimmick, mostly adding distractions, rather than immersion. Zero repeat value.

Yes, the water will get on your glasses and into your popcorn. Although, the movie I saw (Glass) was in 2D, many people were confused why nobody handed them 3D glasses. Maybe they should've marketed this show 3DX or 4DX-1.

The water is apparently "purified" but not chlorinated. While that helps to keep the smell out, I guess that increases the need to regularly clean all the plumbing and also to increase the ventilation in the room, in order to avoid mold building up...

There is a button to disable the water effects though. But, the rain of your neighbor will still land partly on your head.

The theater where I went to, officially denied particular foodstuffs to be brought into the auditorium. Nachos with cheese sauce were not allowed, although you could guess what the couple behind me was eating...

Thanks to Martin for putting up some pictures of the interior of a typical 4DX theater.

I found this YouTube movie that lists all the effects and also shows the system in action.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-06-2019 11:09 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a theater would be better off sinking all that extra money into better sound systems. And maybe projection.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2019 12:43 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive experience a few of these rides. Honestly my favorite ever version was the original Soarin' at Disneyland.

I think these type things are best for 20 min theme park rides.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-06-2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the original, film based Soarin' attraction was a very well executed attraction. Besides new versions of the attraction itself, there are a few noteworthy copies of the concept, but most of them I've seen are pretty well executed.

But 4DX is nothing like Soarin'. While Soarin' gives you a pretty good sense of flying, the 4DX effects are by far not as sophisticated or immersive. Also keep in mind that none of the movies they show, was ever really made with 4DX in mind.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2019 05:40 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a good point about the movies in 4DX not being made with it in mind. I need to check one of the new instalations out some time just to see.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 12:43 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The worst of it is all this ugly-ass equipment hanging out in the open, in an otherwise nicely decorated auditorium....what the F**k were they thinking?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like where you have your kids' birthday parties after they've outgrown Chuckie Cheese. [Embarrassed]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2019 05:12 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an example of the style, "form follows function". It is also the reason that many shows have lots of truss and lights showing. It is supposed to impress the audience with the "tech!"

BLAH!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 06:36 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the barely exposed equipment in the room looks extremely ugly. What you don't see on the picture, is the two hoses in front of the screen for the smoke effects. They look kind of pathetic and like someone has just forgotten them there.

Looking back at the previous pictures, I noticed that they're actually not from a 4DX install, but an MX4D install... A VERY similar, but competing system.

The image below is from a rather large 4DX room:

-

As you can see, the motion base is shared with 4 seats, just like with MX4D. Those red cords were also between the seats in the room I visited. I guess they're there to avoid people standing there.

There is even more equipment on the sides than with the MX4D setup. Also, in the first row you see something that seems to be missing in the MX4D setup. The vertical bar holds the "face air", "face water" and scent sprayers. For all other rows, they're implemented in the seats in front of them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: