Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinema recommendations in Salt Lake City area?

Author Topic: Cinema recommendations in Salt Lake City area?
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2018 01:58 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My extended family is meeting up in SLC in the near future, and we are likely to get out to the movies once or twice.

I'd love to hear any recommendations for venues to visit (or those to avoid).

I'm always interested in giant screens and immersive audio, but also any locations that are special or unique for some reason.

If the right retro title is playing somewhere, we might want to check that out as well.

Thanks,
Geoff

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-15-2018 07:34 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Megaplex at Jordan Commons certainly falls into the unique category (including compared to other Megaplex properties) with its mall food court-like “lobby” and design overall. It doesn’t have Atmos in any of its auditoriums, but they do have an IMAX. Auditoriums 13 and 14 in partcular are huge and feature both standard stadium seating and a cluster of recliners. Both used to be THX certified. Even with some missteps they’ve made in updates over the years, I still think it’s one of those properties everyone should see at least once. They do have Atmos rooms at a couple of their other properties. Mark will be here in a moment to claim the place is a dump and that you should go to one of the Cinemarks around town. Just ignore him.

There is kind of an interesting Cinemark XD auditorium in Layton. It’s from the early Tinseltown days and was by far the biggest Cinemark auditorium I’d ever seen back then with a layout I’ve never since seen either. It’s been completely redone, but even with recliners has rows as wide as 26 seats.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2018 06:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have Regal out there on 5400S Redwood Rd. They may have Atmos out at this location.

You have LHM Megaplex Junction 13 up in downtown Ogden..

Wish the Villa was still showing movies .... best venue to watch 70mm since it had that Cinerama screen in there.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2018 06:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None actually. The nearest decent theaters are in either Lovell, WY or Caspar, Wy. Everything in Salt Lake Silly is very run of the mill and bare bones sound systems, unexciting Atmos systems too. Avoid the Megaplex District Theater. Absolutely gawd awful sound there.

Mark

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2018 01:04 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the Kaysville theatre in Kaysville, UT. It is about 30 minuted north of Salt Lake City. Very well kept triplex. Movies are $2.00 and $3.00 depending on when you go. They typically have 4-6 movies each week.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2018 09:20 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We toured the Villa Cinerama many years ago with 'Van' the THS man out of Odgen UT. Had our THS movie theatre conclave in the area and I remember the huge curved Cinerama screen with curtains that the Villa had.
Got to tour the booth with Its 70mm projectors.
While now a rug store It could be turned back into a 70mm/DCP curved screen theatre very easy. The owner did not destroy the inside.
Go by and check out the Villa Cinerama Theatre when in town with It's great neon marquee If they still turn It on at night.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: