Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » No more genuine art houses in San Jose, CA

Author Topic: No more genuine art houses in San Jose, CA
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2018 09:07 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.....There are fundamentally no more art houses in San Jose, CA.

There seemingly have always been arthouses in San Jose. They had them in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

In the 80's, area was serviced by the Camera 1, Camera, 3 and the Town 3. These 3 are now defunct. The camera 3 has become a variety entertainment center with movies on only 1 screen. Most of the films are second run and revival films. Sports and other items on the other two screens.

Then came the Camera 7 in the Pruneyard Shopping Center. They initially played almost all art product. It is now under new ownership and plays mainly hollywood product.

This same company also operated the Camera 12, but it mainly showed hollywood product. It closed about 5 years ago.

The Cinearts at Santana Rowe came into existence about 10 years ago. It was all arthouse films hence the name of the theatre. Cinemark's interest in these style of cinema has faded, and it now shows mostly hollywood films on it's screens.

Very rarely do I go to San Jose anymore for films. The sign of the times.....

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2018 10:00 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike time to re open the Century 21 dome theatre SJ as they are going to save It and build around It. Put back the huge curved Cinerama screen and just show classic older films. Run only the best new scope art films that don't play in San Jose. Bring back some showmanship with pre show entertainment, curtains working again,campy trailers and Grindhouse weekends. The money dot com crowd needs to get out of the house and stop looking at their computers all day and night. Time for Drafthouse Cinemas to come into the San Jose CA area and show what Century/AMC is not doing.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2018 11:14 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Camera 12 closed in September 2016. The final films to play there include Ben-Hur, Don't Breathe, Hands of Stone, Jason Bourne and The Sea of Trees, judging from the photo I took of the lobby while I was in town for the 2017 Cinequest Film Festival.

David Farris
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2018 09:38 AM      Profile for David Farris   Email David Farris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Towne 3 in San Jose is in fact still operational and going strong. It's been a mainly Tamil theater since the early 2000s (management has changed configurations a few times); I went a few weeks ago and it sold out Chekka Chivantha Vaanam on two screens!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: