Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » JBL 4632-M/HF, JBL 4632 M/HF-T

Author Topic: JBL 4632-M/HF, JBL 4632 M/HF-T
Thomas Baham
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2018 06:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Baham   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Baham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for some help on converting a JBL 4632 Tri Amp to a Bi-Amp. Is this possible? I purchased two Bi amps and a sing tri Amp (Unknown to me, I goofed up) and now my sound guy says I need a Bi amp speaker. Is there anyway to convert the Tri amp to Bi amp? Or just connect one amp to both terminals on the Hi's and Mids? Need help, opening my theater in 2 weeks. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-14-2018 08:41 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have some work ahead of you.

You'll need to obtain the part 129-20064-00 which is a crossover network to allow the MF and HF to play from a single amplifier channel.

The crossover network, I believe mounts in the Mid-range assembly between the lower two drivers and the upper two. There should be a molex connector that provides the input/output connections for the crossovers. Swapping the Tri-amp version with the Bi-amp version should allow you to convert it.

I've never personally done this so I can't confirm first hand.

The part still shows as available so you should contact your JBL dealer for it.

If you hook your amp up to both the HF and MF in parallel, you'll destroy your HF driver (it would try to reproduce frequencies beyond its capabilities...hence the requirement of a crossover).

If you choose to try an aftermarket crossover, the crossover frequency is nominally 1.2KHz between the upper Mid and HF, but you'd have to wire it in the correct place (still located in the MF section).

Thomas Baham
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2018 06:36 PM      Profile for Thomas Baham   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Baham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve, my sound guy decided to add a third amp for that one speaker. He said it would be much easier. Thanks again

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-14-2018 10:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, in addtion to the amp, he is providing you with the proper active crossover too. The speaker itself provides no crossover for the HF section at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: