Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Spanish Film Booking

Author Topic: Spanish Film Booking
Cheryl Lizzio
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Cheryl Lizzio   Author's Homepage   Email Cheryl Lizzio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All
We run a small single screen theater in a small community. Our numbers are starting to go down so we are trying to figure out something new to do. Our community is made up of about 60% Mexican as we were once the largest capital in US for Nursuries so many generations came and still come. We are thinking if we could play a Spanish movie once a month to start on one of the nights we are closed we might be able to get that audience. We played BH chihuahua when it came out years ago, and all the times we played it the audience was over 80% Mexican most who didn't speak English so we really think it may go..BUT where do we get the movies? I have asked our bookers, I have asked the studios, etc and no one can help. So I was hoping someone on here might be able to help us. Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2018 03:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pantaleon/Lionsgate releases a few Spanish movies a year. You can also request the Latin American Spanish dubbed version of most wide release films. Or, try giving the Theater Ears app a try.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2018 10:03 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pantelion mostly releases silly comedies. You would have to look elsewhere for action, sci-Fi, drama, or intelligent films.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-05-2018 10:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to network with people in the Hispanic community to find out what movies they want to see. If you're doing one-off showings, also look into the best days and times. Although I have never run them, I've been told that Sunday mornings are actually an ideal time for this audience.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-06-2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact their consulate they usually have a atache that looks after cultural export of films and could put you in touch with the correct film studios and their representative

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-06-2018 03:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My local multiplex played Do It Like an Hombre last year, and it literally had lines around the side of the building. It ran for 2-3 months, and for most of that time in one of the larger screens.

Agreed that networking with local Spanish speakers to find out if there are any specific movies they'd like to see is a good start. If they've found out about movies from friends and relatives in Mexico which have not had a formal US release yet, you may have to deal direct with distributors in Mexico (if no US distributor has yet been subcontracted), and may also have to consider playing it without subtitles. Subtitling is the biggest single distribution cost of releasing a foreign language movie, and it'll only be done if either a US distributor believes that the audience is big enough, or is an arthouse or archive subsidized by grants or philanthropic donations (the most likely funding route for subtitling classic foreign releases).

When I lived in the UK, the theaters around me would play a lot of unsubtitled Bollywood movies, for this reason. It was a pity - with an investment in subtitling them plus some English language marketing, I'm sure that they would have found a significant audience among those who don't speak Hindi.

Cheryl Lizzio
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2018 08:42 AM      Profile for Cheryl Lizzio   Author's Homepage   Email Cheryl Lizzio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-15-2018 03:33 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Most mainstream movies are available with Spanish subtitles or dubbed in Spanish. In many cases, the Spanish files come on the same drive as the English files.

Check with Lionsgate. They have a division named Pantelion Films. Some of their recent titles are Ya Veremos, Overboard, La Boda de Valentina, and 3 Idiotas.

Check with Hola Mexico Film Festival. They currently have nine Mexican films "on tour" in the US.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-15-2018 04:07 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love the logo for that Hola Mexico thing. A film reel bent into a taco.. [Big Grin]

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2018 08:21 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi. maybe tru technicolor or motion picture.
WE recieve all KDMs from them spanishand subtitle.
THey can give you the contacts iguess.

Mike Moreno
Mexico

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: