Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » After six years, Deaflicks is no more

Author Topic: After six years, Deaflicks is no more
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2018 06:51 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denver Post 19 August 2018

Dealflicks, Inc. the startup once billed as the Priceline of movie ticket sellers, has thrown in the towel after years of struggling to gain traction.

The San Francisco company, which promoted deals on tickets and concessions, sent an email to customers saying its service has ended.

Founded in 2012, Dealflicks aimed to partner with theaters to offer discounts of as much as 60 percent on movie tickets and concessions during periods when theaters are mostly vacant. In its early days, the founders promoted the service by driving around the country in a converted Toyota Sienna to visit local theaters.

The company, which started in Los Angeles, offered savings on tickets by selling vouchers and combining ticket sales with deals on concessions. In February, Dealflicks was available for only 3,000 screens, a small fraction of the roughly 40,000 movie screens in North America. It suffered a major blow in 2016 when its largest partner, Carmike Cinemas, was acquired by AMC Theatres -- Los Angeles Times

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2018 09:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's not for lack of trying, I guess.

Those guys would come to the Rocky Mountain NATO convention, and instead of paying for a booth, would register as regular attendees and then proceed to hang around the trade show, cornering people and being the slimiest kind of "salesmen." They would glom onto you during the offsite events under the guise of being "friendly" but the discussion always returned to them trying to set up a meeting to discuss Dealflicks. They would do the same thing at the dinners. I wound up avoiding them as much as possible because they just gave me the creeps with their fake sincerity.

The convention management let them get away with it the first year because they came with a story about deciding to attend the convention at the last minute (and booth spaces were indeed sold-out), but when they pulled the same trick again the next year, they were told they had to either pay for a booth or leave people alone.

The third year, they weaseled in by sponsoring a seminar, but still didn't want to pay for a booth, still preferring to wander the trade show bothering people who were trying to either socialize or get other business done. Finally the management had enough and told them they couldn't come back unless they played by the same rules as the other vendors and we haven't seen them since.

There were a couple theaters in our group that signed up with them, but I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 08:33 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, they can probably go sell time-shares now.....but they'll likely need to go ahead and "pay for a booth" to do that!

Rusty Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Rusty Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Rusty Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They would also come to POS vendor booths like mine (Sensible Cinema Software) and wait/try to speak to us while we were talking to potential customers even sometimes going as far as to tout Dealflicks and tell the people who we were talking with what POS vendors they were integrated with.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2018 09:13 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They took me out to lunch once.

I told them no.

But I got a free lunch!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2018 06:49 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mythical "free lunch"....well done!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: