Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Used screens

Author Topic: Used screens
Tristan Ratterman
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2018 11:16 AM      Profile for Tristan Ratterman   Email Tristan Ratterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

Thanks for accepting my application to be on the forum. I recently had the opportunity to purchase the perforated screens out of a chain cinema. They are quite large but could easily be re-sewn for use in a smaller theatre. Is there any market for these? Nothing wrong with them other than they could be cleaned once being re-installed. No holes, rips, or tears. If texting is more convenient, my number is  -

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2018 05:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, but your phone number was blocked out because it's against the forum rules to put your contact info in posts ... other members can use the "Who?" button to contact you.

And, this post should have appeared in the "Equipment Wanted/For Sale" forum.

(To be fair, the rules don't seem to specifically mention phone numbers being prohibited, although personal emails definitely are. This is probably because the rules were written long before every person on the planet had a cell phone!)

I would suggest reading over the rules page.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-13-2018 03:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you propose is technically doable.

However, unless under a year old, the screens have "turned." White screens become yellow and silver screens become grey.

I have always considered used screens about the same as used handkerchiefs or toilet paper.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-13-2018 04:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screens make great patio covering since they still allow light to pass through..

..but, home cinema owners loves used screens for their projects.

Some aren't too fussy about condition.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-13-2018 04:08 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really seen a market for used cinema screens. Some used cinema gear and furniture finds its way into the home cinema market, but used cinema screens aren't even usable there, since the perforation is usually too large.

Although a cinema screen isn't cheap, it's usually not the most expensive part of the cinema operation and those things do wear out and need regular replacement.

Also, if those screens are silver screens, the only use I can come up for them is for well-ventilated tents...

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-13-2018 07:35 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to know how they are stored, folded, rolled, and type. Silver screens generally can't be folded and be any good after.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-13-2018 09:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you kidding? Silver screens aren't good the day they're made! [Razz]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-14-2018 10:02 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who said anything about good? But storing them isn't going to improve them. I know you just could not help yourself.

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2018 09:37 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a pretty big thing here (South Australia) many years ago. A lot of chains, smaller operators or regional operators often used hand-me-downs from elsewhere in the chain, or from the big city theatres. It's still common to find screens, curtains and equipment that are in their second, or even third venue.

I have a pearlescent screen, about 5m by 2.5m that I'm currently pondering how to remove sticky tape residue from for a home or touring application. Knowing the venue it came from, I wouldn't be surprised if I was the third owner, or even later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: