Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "This is a cool theatre"

Author Topic: "This is a cool theatre"
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-27-2018 11:17 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned before that I try to use appropriate music before the shows.

I'm playing The First Purge this week and I overheard one guy tonight talking to his buddy.

"This is a cool theatre. Where else could you hear Slayer and Creed before the movie starts?"

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2018 12:22 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone is doing it right!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2018 01:04 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always nice to hear that from customers. I think most of us that work or own independent theatres try hard to go a little extra to make the experience something better than one can get at the megaplex down the road. It shows the hard work is paying off when you hear something like that.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2018 01:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small collection of "previews of coming attractions" clips that I rotate in, depending on the movie and its intended audience. Right now we're playing the new Mission Impossible, so, since that originated in the 1960s I'm using my 1960s vintage PCA clip.

I don't know if anybody notices this kind of stuff but I think it's fun.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-28-2018 02:19 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, semi-off topic, but looking for an opinion outside of my own bias.

Is there such a thing as a cool 70's or later era theatre?
Cool in the sense that the theatre is memorable and should be preserved. That is not like anything else. Has it's own character?

70's theatre are approaching the 50 year old mark. Are many left, and does anyone care?

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2018 03:12 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Is there such a thing as a cool 70's or later era theatre?
Cool in the sense that the theatre is memorable and should be preserved. That is not like anything else. Has it's own character?

I would say that some of the auditoriums with large constant-height screens built in the past several decades are memorable and should be preserved. "Large" means anything in the 70'+ range... in other words a screen big enough to make it worthwhile to leave home.

Some of the Harkins Cine-Capri and Warren Grand auditoriums meet those requirements, and I'm sure there are others.

Geoff

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2018 09:15 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my friend Jim was manager of the DelMar Theatre in Santa Cruz CA before Landmark took it over I gave him some of my Wultizer organ theatre CD's to play before the movie started. Sounded great at this art deco theatre by the beach. He even used a fanfare organ cut when the curtains came up a second time after the previews before the main feature. Jim and his helper Scott picked out some great movie palace pipe organ selections to play. No church type organ music but up tempo show tunes ect. Now that Landmark has taken over the DelMar all the organ music has ended along with even raising the curtain. Young people and the older movie crowd loved the organ music, showmanship and presantation was brought back to the DelMar for a brief time.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-30-2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The place that I have been that always got the most oohs and aahs (especially from young people) is the Byrd Theatre in Richmond, VA. I haven't been there in a number of years, but they had (and still have) an organist who performs before the shows on Saturday nights. The organ rises out of the orchestra pit, he plays for a bit, then the organ lowers and the film starts. In the summer, they do a brief sing-a-long before the show.

The Byrd is pretty much completely original from the 1920s, and is (or was, when I was last there) in terrific condition. Anyway, they put on a good show and audiences seem to appreciate that, especially those of us too young to remember when every theatre was like that.

The only remotely close modern equivalent would be a real Imax house, which is more impressive for the screen size than for the theatre itself. "Normal" theatres built after the 1960s are a dime a dozen. They might be notable for their programming or their staff or their location, but there isn't much about the buildings themselves that is memorable.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2018 07:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's funny to me is, when I first bought my theater people were still used to "movie palace" type theaters, so when they came inside they'd say "Oh, this is cute!" when they got to the auditorium. Then they got used to shoebox auditoriums, so they started saying "Wow, this is big!"

Then the PLF gigantic screen trend started happening, although not so much in Montana yet, so we'll probably eventually start to hear "cute" comments again.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2018 05:34 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear!

This is why I've always liked independents vs chain/corp. Doesn't matter if we are talking theatres, restaurants, or anything else. Its nice to see the owners own personal touches and flavor.

Before our theater's renovation it had little character left to it after years of changes (and lots of neglect). Most of the original touches had long been torn out, leaving much to be desired. About the only thing it had left going was its age. (1940)

That's why I made sure to keep the original auditorium sconces. I also kept the stage curtain and we ended up spicing the stage up with some real organ pipes on either side. There's no organ, but its a throwback to the old palace days. We did find a nice chapel reed organ from 1885 with a very ornate case to sit down front.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2018 07:09 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello James,
How about a picture of the non-organ organ?

Love to see it.

KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: