Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Amounts given for change

Author Topic: Amounts given for change
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-29-2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something interesting (or at least I find it interesting).

I just finished playing Book Club and at least 95% of the people who came to see it were older women.

Accordingly most of the people who came were paying for a single ticket, unlike most movies where the majority of tickets are sold in pairs.

Since my adult admission price is $9, I give away a few rolls of $2 coins for change every week and maybe one roll of $1 coins. Most people pay for two tickets at $18 with a $20 bill and get $2 change, of course.

This week, for the first time since I set the $9 admission rate I actually gained $2 coins and gave away $1 coins every night. So I was hoofing it down to the bank just to get rolls of $1 coins today.

That's really unusual, and it's just due to the unusual make-up of the audience who came to see Book Club. This didn't happen with any of the 50 Shades of Grey movies or any other chick flicks that I've played so there's something about Book Club that sets it off from every other recent movie.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2018 05:41 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be happy my mom didn't show up. She's 92 and still writes checks!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-29-2018 06:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have known a few theatres that do things like give change in $.50 coins or $2 bills (both of which are uncommon in the US). I always thought that it was a nice, memorable gesture that costs nothing, but makes customers happy.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-29-2018 06:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were some really (really!) old ladies who came to this show, a lot of whom I've never seen before and probably will never see again.

Most nights there were maybe one or two men in the audience, but there were a couple of nights when there were nothing but women. There were no teenagers and very very few people under about 50 years old.

I don't think I've ever had a movie before that drew nothing but old ladies.

One really old lady came out after the show last night with a little gang of her equally old friends and was saying, "I wonder if the library will have enough copies of that book for all of us." [Big Grin]

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2018 08:15 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened Book Club today - getting ready for the granny invasion. Usually on the second week they figure out that we are playing the film.
By the look of the poster you should put salad and white wine on the concession stand. I have never seen a movie poster with so much salad on it - those salads are going to get a lot of movie work after this hit.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-30-2018 09:15 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to bring in more old broads show Leisure Seeker and/or Finding Your Feet. Ignore the Tomatometer, the old broads really, really loved these two movies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2018 11:31 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've given out 50 cent coins for years. Every day we hear, "Wow, I haven't seen one of these in years," and some people actually collect them, which is crazy because we buy anywhere from two to 10 rolls a week at the bank. The lady at the bank told me we're the only business in town that buys them.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2018 12:32 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But some people, especially old ladies, absolutely hate 50 cent coins. These same people typically also dislike $2.00 bills.

They act like you've handed them fake money.

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: