Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Is D-Box finished?

Author Topic: Is D-Box finished?
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2018 03:30 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two theatres nearest me that had D-Box seating have ripped it out and converted the auditoriums to the more advanced 4DX. I'm wondering if this is signalling the end for D-Box installations?
I do tend to get motion sick on occasions (particularly when reading in a car, for instance) but never had a problem with D-Box. I have not tried 4DX yet, but I can't see myself liking it - being shaken around violently with smells and water being sprayed at me for 2 hours! I didn't like the Star Tours attraction in Disneyland, and I assume 4DX will be very similar.

Any of you guys tried 4DX? How does it compare to D-Box? Are you seeing a reduction in D-Box installations these days?

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2018 11:02 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really familiar with 4DX. Is the content (motion instructions) delivered in the DCP or separately? If separately, how is it synchronized? How much content is there?

Harold

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole motion seats thing seems like it's way better suited to a 3-minute theme park attraction than to a 2-hour movie.

I want to watch Batman driving like a maniac, not be in the Batmobile with him.

Paul Arch
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2018 01:46 PM      Profile for Paul Arch   Email Paul Arch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4DX has been on the rise in the UK thanks to a deal the company has with the Cineworld chain. My local Cineworld was one of the early cinemas to get the system. I personally didn’t like it. All the different effects just removed me from the movie rather than enhancing the experience. Plus not all the effects are timed that well to the movie. Great for a theme park ride, but personally should not belong in a multiplex. However my two sons (7 and 10 years old) loved it for Rouge One. I also hate that they removed a large scope screen and replaced it with a common width screen. One thing I also don’t get about 4DX, for something that is supposed to be emmersive, why not use Dolby Atmos or DTS X instead of 5.1 or 7.1 sound?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2018 02:52 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does 4DX include it's own proprietary sound system? I would think the 4DX and sound system are mutually exclusive and that the cinema can install whatever sound equipment they wish. Is that not the case?

Paul Arch
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2018 03:16 PM      Profile for Paul Arch   Email Paul Arch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4DX system has a time code that runs in tandem to the DCP. I believe the sound and 3D are the same as any other screen. The 3D in the UK for these screens is Real-D, so the sound is what was ever in the screen before it was fitted with 4DX. Article about my local when it opened; http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/what-s-on/bumpy-start-but-cineworld-ipswich-s-new-4dx-screen-is-a-helluva-ride-1-4622698

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-30-2018 08:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul can you post a "copy and paste" version of the article so we don't have to consent to the site's use of our information to read the article please?

I hate when sites put up a nearly full page overlay that you have to accept their using tracking cookies to see the bloody article.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-30-2018 11:19 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why you use something like noscript to control what programs websites are allowed to run on your computer. (Hint: very little without a very good reason.)

I didn't see any annoying overlay; just the article that I went to read.

quote:
Cineworld Ipswich’s general manager Sam Prior was watching me more than the movie. Having confessed earlier that I “don’t do well” with sudden motion, he admits he wasn’t sure I’d make it to the end. I admit I thought the same.

My wife enjoys regaling anybody who’ll listen with the tale of how I sat, stone-like, beads of sweat forming on my furrowed forehead, gripping the protective bar of the children’s tea-cup ride at Alton Towers as it trundled around the virtually flat track so slowly you lost all sense of time.

I’m the perfect theme park companion. If you see somebody sat on a bench, book in hand, surrounded by bags and coats be sure to give me a wave.

Checking the long list of do’s and don’ts dotted around the cinema didn’t put me at ease. I started to wish I was the world’s first pregnant man, the only respectable out left to me at this point.
Independence Day: Resurgence was great on Cineworld Ipswich's new 4DX screen.
Independence Day: Resurgence was great on Cineworld Ipswich's new 4DX screen.

Introduced from South Korea, 4DX is considered the biggest innovation in cinematic technology. The set-up in the 136-seater screen seven stimulates all five senses using specially designed high-tech motion seats and special effects like wind, fog, rainstorm, lightning, bubbles, water, rain and scents.

Exclusive to Cineworld in the UK, a special code runs in tandem with the soundtrack to create perfect synchronicity with the action on screen. During Independence Day Resurgence we were treated to everything from the sensation of sitting on a gently rocking boat, complete with mist and sea scents to swooshing up, down, left and right - sometimes all at the same time it seemed - during dogfights in space.

Shaun Jones, Cineworld’s head of operations, assured me earlier it wasn’t a throw-you- around, rollercoaster-type experience.

“Be open-minded,” he said, adding the extreme popularity of Ipswich’s IMAX made installing 4DX the next logical step. “It’s very precise to the movements of the film and you very quickly forget you’re in a moving seat. You’re just enveloped in the whole picture and experience of the film.”
Cineworld Ipswich 4DX, Cineworld Ipswich's general manager Sam Prior and Cineworld's head of operations Shaun Jones. Photo: Mark Witter
Cineworld Ipswich 4DX, Cineworld Ipswich's general manager Sam Prior and Cineworld's head of operations Shaun Jones. Photo: Mark Witter

He wasn’t wrong. At the start I lost count of how many times I turned to my wife - busy trying to turn the water spray feature off, me turning it back on when she wasn’t looking - and said “I can’t, I need to leave”. This was before the seats moved past the slight shudder setting. Every sip of drink, every attempt to find a fudge in my tub of sweets and get it into my mouth felt like the sort of challenge you see on the TV show The Cube.

Told you I was a wimp.

When looking away, then leaning forward and trying to stay loose in my seat - not advisable - didn’t work the thought of meekly walking past the packed rows of people having the time of their lives outweighed everything else. Manning up I turned my gaze to the curved 12.7m by 7.0m screen – think double-decker bus, but bigger.

I’m glad I did. It was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced at the cinema, which is virtually my second home.
Handford Hall pupils enjoy the 4DX screen at Cineworld Ipswich. Photo: Mark Witter
Handford Hall pupils enjoy the 4DX screen at Cineworld Ipswich. Photo: Mark Witter

It feels like you’re sat in the pilot’s seat of a spaceship as it zips through charred remains of some of our most famous landmarks while your plummet from the moon to Earth on a spaceship, puffs of air simulating alien lasers whizzing past your ear so much you try to dodge them, a burst of water in the face representing an exploding alien.

It was an amazing experience, one I can’t wait to repeat. Strangely my wife, the rollercoaster rider in the relationship, was less convinced. Although she’s looking forward to being won over when we go to see Suicide Squad in August.

The system took about two months to install and about 16 days for 4DX to actually create the format of the film.

“We’re really pleased with the installation. Our motto is the best place to watch a movie and we want to give audiences the choice to be able to come to the cinema and watch the movie of their choice in various formats,” said Mr Jones, confirming you can expect to see the chain install more 4DX screens in the future.
Fans enjoy the 4DX at Cineworld Ipswich. Photo: Mark Witter
Fans enjoy the 4DX at Cineworld Ipswich. Photo: Mark Witter

“I can’t give you the exact number but it was a substantial investment - but it was something we wanted to bring to the Ipswich area,” he added, confirming the 11-screen cinema would be getting an upgrade in its IMAX auditorium, with new spacious seats installed.

Many big Hollywood Studios have adopted 4DX, with more than 300 movies including Captain America: Civil War and Disney’s The Jungle Book screened in the format so far.

Winning the cinema innovation of the year award from the International 3D and Advanced Imaging Society in 2014 and the Elison Award silver prize in 2015 it’s been highly praised by famous film directors like Gravity’s Alfonso Cuaron, who has showed interest in making future projects in 4DX.

Cineworld Ipswich is only the company’s fifth site in the UK to offer 4DX, the others being Milton Keynes, Sheffield, Crawley and Stevenage.
Fans enjoy the new 4DX screen at Cineworld Ipswich
Fans enjoy the new 4DX screen at Cineworld Ipswich

Mr Prior said more than 210,000 people have tried the 4DX experience with Cineworld since opening last year and the Cardinal Park cinema was absolutely thrilled and excited to be expanding its entertainment.

“There’s nothing like it in the area... It makes you feel like you’re part of the movie, it’s totally immersive. We’re always looking at the latest innovations in technology and with our offering now including 4DX as well as IMAX we are giving customers more choice to watch a movie how they want. We’re confident Cineworld Ipswich will be the best place to watch a movie. We’re currently booking for Star Trek Beyond, so that’s certainly going to work well. It’s tailor-made for blockbusters.”

Cineworld is already looking to the next generation of technology.

“I think 4DX is the top end of innovation at the moment, but who knew two years ago they’d be able to bring 4DX to the cinema so it’s anybody’s guess at the moment. Undoubtedly there’ll be new technologies and as they come hopefully we’ll embrace them,” added Mr Jones.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2018 03:24 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
The two theatres nearest me that had D-Box seating have ripped it out and converted the auditoriums to the more advanced 4DX.
"More advanced" in the sense that 4DX adds water, fog and strobing effects and so on but the seat movement isn't as good as D-Box. 4DX has multiple seats attached to a single gimbal whereas each D-Box seat moves individually. It's a more effective system - and presumably a more expensive one.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-31-2018 03:32 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure D-Box will be working on an upgrade, just to be on par with 4DX.

4DX has been rolled out in quite a few cinemas around here, so cinema operators seemingly see it as a major source of up-selling. I've tried it once, to see if it's better than D-Box.

And I guess, it is. It has more things going than D-Box, it feels more dynamic and it is spraying all kinds of stuff around like scents and water mist...

Still, I hate the concept. Either you build a real motion simulator like a Disney ride or just stop trying.

It's a lot like with 3D, it might be interesting the first few minutes, but once you've gotten used to it, it's not really adding any new value. The discomfort of the glasses is not compensating for the extra effect anymore.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-02-2018 07:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I reading this correctly, that the audience has some amount of control of the effects -- say the amount of seat movement or water spray and they can switch effects on or off or level the way they want (my wife - busy trying to turn the water spray feature off...snip...the seats moved past the slight shudder setting)?

If that is correct, it's a smart move; most people will be glad to be able to shut off the water effects. There is only so much mist & water in the face that one can take before it becomes reeeeeally annoying. I sure would want to be able to have that thing switched off when there is a scene in a movie showing a guy getting water-boarded or drowning. And they call 3D a "gimmick"

See as how some people kvetch and moan about seeing no value in things coming out at them in 3D; I can't imagine how pissed they are going to be when bubbles are blown in their faces. Then all throughout NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, that pungent odor of human decomp coming at them, I am guessing will annoy quite a few. If you think 3D has lost its pull, I'm betting this nonsense will die much quicker.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-07-2018 06:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last moving seats used to good effect were in SHowScan Theaters. Nothing since has been worth a crap. And moving seats are right up there with Dolby Atmos. I have yet to hear even a half way decent Atmos mix or system. I'll stick with good 7.1 thank you!

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-07-2018 10:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem I have with Atmos as it give the exhibitor way to much latitude in how much "system" he is going to install. Sure a full system can boast 64 amp/speaker channels, but the computer can also play an Atmos soundtrack with much fewer channels as it just "knows" that there are only, say, 10 speakers around the room and adjusts accordingly. There is no guarantee the system will do much more that a good 7.1 or hell, maybe even a 5.1 traditional 1-to-1 system (1 channel & set of speakers to 1 location). With Atmos seems there can be a very broad arc in what goes into a system from the fewest allowable amp/speakers to the full 64 compliment (I assume Dolby must have a minimum requirement, yes?) With 5.1 and 7.1, at the very least you KNOW you are going to get 3 screen, mono surround and a LFE or 3 screen, split surrounds and a LFE.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2018 12:56 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's theoretically true, but it hasn't actually been true in the Dolby Vision theaters that I've been in. As I posted elsewhere, the AMC Empire has the following:

quote:
At the Dolby Vision theater at the AMC Empire 25 in NYC I count 50 to 52 "channels". There are 16 overhead speakers, 10 side surrounds x2, 3 rear surrounds x2, 2 auditorium woofers = 44 + either 5.1. or 7.1 if they have Left-Center and Right-Center screen channels. It's possible it's 2 less if they auditorium woofers aren't their own object channels.
There's also a new Dolby Vision screen at the AMC 34th St. Haven't been there yet, but I'll check it out when I go.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

First off, Atmos is not a channel based system so 64-channels is not, in any shape way or form, the "full system." The best way to think of the speakers and quantities of them as resolution for the system. The more speakers (with mating amplifiers) the better resolution the system has to locate an object somewhere within the space.

To that end, the smaller the venue, the fewer speakers are required to create the same effect (object localization). That is, if you have a 100-foot long theatre, you are, likely, going to need twice as many speakers along the side walls and ceiling to create the same effect as a room only 50-feet long.

As some will argue, going beyond 2K in resolution is lost on screens smaller that a certain size (and what size that is will vary with the person you ask).

This does not preclude the smaller venue from using more speakers/amp channels to increase its resolution but as once increases the speakers/amps within the same space, with each increment, the improvement attained decreases. At what point does adding the next row of speakers and redistributing them to even it all up yield no discernible difference? Furthermore, our ability to "resolve" sound above our heads is very low as compared to on the sides (ear location and all of that).

This isn't as arbitrary as you are making out to be, either. Dolby has an Excel spreadsheet called DARDT (Dolby Atmos Room Design Tool).

In this tool, you input key parameters of the theatre (length, width, height at the screen, height at the rear wall as well as what speakers and amplifiers you intend to use). Once all of that is done, it will TELL you what the minimum number of speakers/channels you need to make an effective Atmos system as well as the recommended number to make a better room.

It also takes into account the speakers you are using to ensure coverage, power handling and so forth. When all done, it will tell you how to aim said speakers too.

There is also the design/approval aspect of it too. Each Atmos room not only needs the DARDT filled out, but it is submitted to Dolby for approval before the KDM that unlocks the CP850/IMS3000 for Atmos decoding.

So, at least for now, if a room is running a DCP movie in Atmos, that room had to meet Dolby's minimum criteria (in terms of speaker/amplifier count and capability).

It isn't completely all voodoo stuff either. Dolby has documents that explain how speaker quantities are derived, where they are to be located in which situations speakers may be paired (two speakers playing the same thing) or culled (multiple speakers replaced by a single speaker...particularly on ceiling speakers).

In fact, one thing I'll give Dolby is that, as a format, it is being better supervised than other formats, immersive or otherwise. They have played an active part in deploying it. A problem I have with MDA/DTS-X is that it is a bit of the wild-west. You really don't know what you're going to get. With Dolby Atmos, for the moment, you should get a decent Atmos show (entirely mix dependent and still dependent on room quality) in every location. That is, it won't be the format's fault if you don't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: