Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » GDPR and theatres

Author Topic: GDPR and theatres
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-19-2018 01:57 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading some articles about the impact of the EU's GDPR (alphabet soup anyone?) on small businesses and it occurs to me to ask what steps, if any, you folks who have theatres in the EU are taking to insure that you comply with that regulation.

I operate a weekly email mailing list for my customers but since it's of local interest only and I'm not in the EU I don't see any way that it would have any impact on me.

What about the rest of you fine folks?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-19-2018 05:48 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, very funny it comes up here as well...everyone is a bit overnervous here currently.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me clueless but what is GDPR?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-19-2018 01:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
“General Data Protection Regulation”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

It governs how the personal information of citizens of the European Union may be used and/or exported from Europe.

James Biggins
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2018 06:10 PM      Profile for James Biggins   Email James Biggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The implementation has caused more than a few headaches, but the principle, of giving people more control over how their personal data is used, can only be a good thing.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-20-2018 01:51 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pretty far reaching law. For the average movie theater, the impact will be somewhat limited, although if you want to do it "right", then you'll have a lot of homework to do.

Also, 8 of the 28 EU member countries haven't even finalized their own implementation of the law yet, so they're officially behind schedule and won't make the deadline. The EU also only formulates regulations, the member states have to implement their own laws based on those. The result is often interesting, as the differences between the implementations allow different interpretations on some key aspects...

The law doesn't only apply to EU organizations, but also to international organizations dealing with EU organizations or citizens.

The whole law/regulation in a nutshell: All organizations operating within the EU are required to:

- Keep track of all the personal data they collect and maintain from all their customers.
- Keep track of all the external entities with which they share this personal data and maintain a binding agreement with those entities that explicitly states the purpose and under which conditions this data can be used.
- Install a "Data Protection Officer" who is responsible for the ongoing task of "Data Protection" inside the organization.
- Ensure that all personal data will be either destroyed or "anonymized" when there is no longer any applicable use for the personal data being stored. There is also a requirement to ensure that all entities sharing the data do the same.
- Formally report all leaks of personal data to the responsible reporting entity in the responsible member state, once such a leak has been detected.
- Actively and unambiguously inform customers or individuals dealing with said organization about how they treat their personal information, where their personal information will be stored, with whom it will be shared and under what conditions it will be destroyed or anonymized.
- Provide customers or individuals dealing with said organization with a complete extract of all the information stored about them, if he/she demands as such.

I'm pretty sure that no company or organization of any measurable size will be entirely "GDPR compliant" on the 25th of May, when the legislation is going to be enforced (at least, if the member state you're operating in has installed their final version of the law yet).

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2018 10:39 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is interesting Marcel; the GDPR is a regulation, and an EU regulation as I understand does not need to be translated into local law in the same was that a directive does.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-21-2018 01:03 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is indeed a difference between a EU directive and regulation.

A regulation is effective and enforceable across all member states, even if the member states didn't implement local laws. It's still expected for the member states to implement relevant local laws though.

The Dutch implementation of the GDPR is known as "AVG", which is a shorthand for "Algemene Verordening Gegevensbescherming" and for example, the German implementation is called "DSGVO", which stands for Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (which indeed sounds very German [Wink] ).

The GDPR is a somewhat different beast though, while itself is a regulation, it has been agreed upon that all member countries will implement local laws and accompanying procedures, before the deadline of 25th this very month. This also includes something like a "Governmental body" per member that actively monitors the compliance of the organizations active within the member's jurisdiction and also serves as forefront for privacy issues. So, data leaks need to be reported to this body and organizations and citizens can also file complaints regarding privacy issues to this same body.

So, enforcement of the GDPR will be done on a member level, not on an EU level. Some members, like Belgium, haven't finished their implementation yet. Now, it would be interesting if they actively start to enforce Belgian companies, while their own government hasn't even sanctioned the local laws yet...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: