Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC being sued for seat collapse

Author Topic: AMC being sued for seat collapse
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2018 01:54 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Customer suing AMC for seat collapse.

NJ.COM

quote: NJ.COM
A South Jersey moviegoer who says he was seriously hurt last year when his seat at the AMC Loews theater in Cherry Hill in suddenly collapsed has sued the corporate owner of the cinema for his injuries.

James Braxton Jr., of the Sicklerville section of Winslow, claims he sustained "serious, disabling and permanent" injuries while taking in a movie with his wife Marcia Quarles-Braxton at the AMC Loews Cherry Hill 24 on Route 38, according to court papers.

The injuries Braxton suffered as a result of the April 21, 2017 mishap include a concussion, a strained back, exacerbation of a previous injury to his right knee, head pain, neck pain and memory issues, the lawsuit says.

Braxton's suit says the theater allowed the chair to be installed in a way that allowed it to collapse and permitted the "exceedingly dangerous" seat to exist for a significant period of time. During that time, the theater didn't properly maintain the seat, according to court papers.

Braxton and his wife, who is also a plaintiff in the lawsuit, are each seeking more than $50,000.

The defendant in the suit is Leawood, Kansas based American Multi-Cinema, Inc.

Not quite sure what to say about this one. Yes, AMC has an obligation to see that their facilities are maintained and safe, but it seems, based upon the news story, that the victim is exaggerating his injuries. My guess is AMC will settle this and we will never hear about the outcome.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-12-2018 03:19 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I originally misread it as "talking in a movie with his wife" and thought, Serves him right [evil]
Yeah, sounds like his lawyer is making a high opening bid. I'd really like to see how he could get a concussion.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-12-2018 05:02 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A concussion could happen if he was leaning against the back of the seat and it collapsed such that he hit his head on the seat in the row behind him or on the floor.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-12-2018 07:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand how you can "allow the seat to be installed in such a way that it can collapse."

Outside of leaving parts out during the install, I don't see how a seat could ever collapse due to the way it's installed.

Maybe it's a stadium theater and the seats are attached to the vertical risers rather than to the floor...then I could see it, if the seat just came out of its mount.

No matter how it happened, to get that list of injuries, the guy must have been doing handstands on it or something.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: