Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How is Infinity War selling?

Author Topic: How is Infinity War selling?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-11-2018 08:58 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't gauge the hype on this one. I'm excited to see it. And I know several others who are. But I also know several people who are confused by it or don't understand it or whatever. IMAX shows on opening night here aren't sold out yet, and usually they would be by now. How is it going where you are?

|  IP: Logged

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2018 09:02 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/avengers-infinity-war-fandango-presale-marvel-1202750313/

quote:
“Avengers: Infinity War” isn’t opening for another two weeks, but the Marvel title is already on a record-breaking track.

Currently, the superhero tentpole is selling more than double the amount of tickets on Fandango that “Black Panther” sold at the same point in the sales cycle. In fact, “Infinity War” is currently outpacing the last seven Marvel movies combined, including massive titles like “Thor: Ragnarok,” “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” “Guardian’s of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” and “Captain America: Civil War.”

The upcoming “Avengers” pic, which opens on April 27, is pacing to be the Fandango’s top preseller among April releases, as well as the the top superhero preseller in the company’s history.

“‘Infinity War’ has built up such unprecedented anticipation that it’s pacing to break records, the likes of which we have never seen before for a superhero movie,” Fandango managing editor Erik Davis said. “Moviegoers are rushing to guarantee their seats in advance for what is sure to be one of the most talked-about movies of the decade.”

The film is on track for a heroic $175 million to $200 million opening. Only seven other films in history have topped $175 million in their debuts and only five have hit the $200 million mark.

Among the superheroes sharing the screen will be Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth’s Thor, Chris Evans’ Captain America, Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther, Chris Pratt’s Star Lord, Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange, and Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-11-2018 09:13 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's interesting. I just checked Fandango in my area (currently near Philly) and of all of the shows on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, exactly ONE show is sold out. A 7PM show on Thursday.

Weird. I thought I'd see more by now. Certainly the big IMAX shows.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-12-2018 10:02 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased my ticket earlier this week and noticed the seating chart had what I would consider to be quite a bit more than average seats already taken for a feature still over two weeks out, but still plenty of inventory available.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-12-2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that since people can now choose their seats that the ticket sales are distributing across the shows more evenly than they used to be? Rather than the 7:00 show selling out first, maybe people are looking at those seats in the 7:00 show and looking at the 8:00 instead. Then at the 9:00. Then at the 10:00. Then at Saturday. Then at the other theater down the street...

So the crappier seats are all waiting until the last minute in all of the shows now. I've been wondering for a while when that change was going to start happening. Maybe that's what I'm seeing...? Thoughts?

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2018 04:29 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if reserved seats is changing how people pre-reserve seats, but Boxoffice is predicting a $230 million 3-day opening and a $600 million total domestic take, so they still think this picture is going to be pretty huge.

They wrote:
quote:
Infinity War is redefining the ceiling of pre-release buzz for the superhero genre. Following last week’s increase in tracking projections, Fandango reported a few days ago that the massively anticipated semi-finale to the last ten years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is outselling all MCU titles (dating back to 2015’s Ant-Man) combined through the same point in the pre-sales cycle. Our own social media metrics continue to reach new heights for the genre, with Twitter activity notably performing 129 percent higher than Captain America: Civil War and 52 percent higher than Avengers: Age of Ultron at comparable points in the pre-release cycle. Outside the MCU, Infinity War is well ahead of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and approaching levels similar to those of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The Marvel epic’s chances at reaching that latter film’s all-time opening weekend record of $247.97 million are increasingly possible based on current trends.
At this time, Boxoffice’s tracking ranges for the next Marvel tentpole are:

Domestic Opening Weekend: $235 million – $255 million
Domestic Total Gross: $565 million – $650 million

As theaters get smaller because of lounge seating, I think we will see smaller opening weekends and sales more evenly distributed over opening weeks because the seats for very popular movies simply won't be there.

I know I keep on posting this, but all of NYC is down to about 74,000 seats. Manhattan now has under 35,000 down from 54,000 in 2012. In 1987, NYC had 175,000 seats.

The Regal E-Walk once had 3276 seats. It now has 1344. The Chesea Cinema 9 once had 2330. It now has 1507. The Cinema 1 and 2 used to have 1000 seats. Now it has 3 screens and a total of 335 seats. Etc. All this works fine for weekdays, but doesn't work for weekends and it boggles the mind as to why theater owners thought this was a good idea. They claim that lounge seating increased revenues, but I would venture to guess that's a temporary situation and that when they're turning people away because screens are sold out, they have left money on the table. It's like making a restaurant smaller without getting a reduction in the rent.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-22-2018 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's another interesting piece of this puzzle. How in the world is taking your seat count down to about 60%-70% of what it was helping anyone? I actually HATE the reclining seats. I find them really uncomfortable. But I'm probably in the minority on that.

I poked around a bunch of theaters in my area to see where the reserved seat openings are and for the most part the whole front row is open everywhere, most of the second row, and scattered seats throughout the auditorium. This leaves a) slim pickings for anyone showing up on the day and time they want to see the show, and b) all of the shows STILL not technically sold out.

So far the only one sold out in my Fandando area is the 7:00 IMAX 2D show on Thursday night. Coincidentally, the IMAX theater is about the only auditorium that does NOT feature reserved seating. When I expand to the Philly area there are a couple more, but not many.

Will that last row of seats actually sell on opening night creating a legit "sell out" show?

By the way, this isn't meant to be a criticism of the movie's ticket sales at all. I'm primarily curious about how the dynamics of ticket sales has changed due to reserved seating, and this would be a great movie to try to measure that. If this was Star Wars or Harry Potter or whatever, or even THIS movie before we had reserved seating, we'd be seeing a bunch of sold out 7:00 shows for the weekend by now. Even with the higher seat counts we had before everyone switched to recliners. We're not. And yet ticket sales are being reported as very high.

I find that really interesting. But maybe I'm the only one.

I'm not sure what it means, if anything. But I'd love to hear thoughts from others who have been around for a while if they feel like things have changed a bit.

Maybe it's nothing.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-23-2018 01:11 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that usual for me to actually pay for a movie ticket, but when I'm abroad then I tend to try to visit all kinds of cinemas.

But since the advent of reserved seating, I usually pick the show that offers me a seat in the center of the auditorium. If that seat is not available for that show, I'll choose another show, maybe in another theater or on another day.

I'm not sure what motivates people more though: Being among the first to see a new movie or seeing it in a comfortable way?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-23-2018 09:39 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will absolutely find an alternate show, even at another theatre, or not go at all if I can't get my preferred seat or something close to it. But given I go to morning/early afternoon matinees for new features most of the time, that almost never happens.

I checked out some seat maps for shows on Saturday again and there's still plenty of inventory at the Warren East and at AMC Northrock in Wichita. Evening shows in the best case look about half sold so far.

I'm still the only one in my row (G) and not one seat in any row in front of me has sold.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2018 03:40 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things to consider:

We get a lot more show times now that we're digital than we did back when we were 35mm, because it's more flexible. We had 5 screens over the weekend, 6 at one point, in a 10 screen facility. That never ever happened with 35mm. Of course, that means more ticket sales even if less auditoriums actually sell out and look less full. I imagine the trend is similar elsewhere.

I'm not sure what the average theater's policy is, but we typically 'sell out' with 15-30 empty seats which is about 90% full... any more than that and nearly everyone comes back to box asking for refunds because they don't want to sit in the front two rows/cant find seats together.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-30-2018 04:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a show that attracts lots of kids, we'll "sell out" about 40 under capacity, because 44 of our seats are in the balcony which is off limits to kids. So, under that criteria we had two sellouts over the weekend which is pretty rare for us.

Our best day was Sunday because we had a matinee.

But yeah, doing great business here.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-30-2018 04:07 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some good points too. Not everyone knew how to or had the capability to interlock, or in some cases were not allowed to.

A couple of times over the weekend my wife and I looked for a show and couldn't find one worth getting a ticket for. Almost all seats available for every single show were in the front corners. Yet none showed as "sold out". One such show only had one seat showing as available.

I remember the 90-95% days. But in the age of reserved seats I guess it's not really sold out until every seat is actually sold.

Well, let's hope for a long run and lots of money being made!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-30-2018 04:09 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did not get close to beating Black Panther opening weekend at the three multiplexes in this town. We'll see how holds up after 5 weeks.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2018 09:41 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$305.9 million domestic and $502.5 million foreign after just five days. I think the movie is doing amazingly well and it's probably going to break all kinds of records.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2018 06:58 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping with digital, they would be able to rotate the big screen times between different movies. With Deadpool out, Avengers is already not on RPX or IMAX on any of the Atlanta Regals after just two weeks. I was hoping maybe they could fit in a couple of shows a week to let us watch a blockbuster in a decent format.

But here's where I am fed up with theaters. I call a couple of the nearby Regals and ask them which auditoriums Avengers is playing in , and one lady at Perimeter POinte flat out told me I need to come to the multiplex, buy the ticket, and then I will find out which one. After I asked her to find out, she tells me, screen 2. I forgot if that is one of the big ones and ask her and she says no clue. Eff them.

So I call Atlantic Station which has it playing on three screens. He just gave me a generic - well it's not RPX or IMAX, so all three screens are comparable.

EFf these guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: