Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Consolidated Theatres restores their snipe ahead their centennial

Author Topic: Consolidated Theatres restores their snipe ahead their centennial
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-14-2017 06:56 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consolidated Theatres restored centennial snipe

|  IP: Logged

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my trip to Hawaii back in February I did catch a movie at Consolidated Ward 16, and it opened with the famous trailer. When I saw it, it looked to have already been restored, like an OCN transfer with titles re-done digitally. It sounded great too, so obviously that was remastered. I didn't know you could go one step further. For one thing, I'm glad that the Facebook and Twitter logos look to be gone, those kind of undercut the experience.

I hope to hear from our friend Claude if he does catch this restored trailer later on this week or year, to see if it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-14-2017 04:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Connor, according to the article Paul had posted, Consolidated's restored trailer will make it's debut with the new STAR WARS film beginning tomorrow night. I was at a Consolidated theatre last week and they were using the trailer that was not restored along with a specially add on with well known Hawaiian entertainers discussing movies they have seen at a Consolidated theatre when they were growing up. Consolidated recently published SHOW PARADE, a handout and in iit is an article on how the trailer was created when the company celebratned it 75th anniversary 25 years ago. It is too bad my dear friend Faith Tom who wjas Vice President of Theatres Operations at Consolidated had passed away seven years ago. When she was around, I never paid to see movies at a Consolidated theatre because she always gave me passes. I was also invited to special showings and movie premieres. I still remember the night when Faith had to check a print of GODFATHER 3, a couple of days before it opened and she invited her sister and me to see it with her at the Cinerama Theatre after thst night's last show was over at 12:30 am Despite the late hour, I enjoyed the movie very much and felt honored to see the latest GODFATHER film with my two friends in that large theatre

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2017 10:23 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great and the stereo surround sound must sound good, they spent some money to restore It, I am surprised they did not use a larger and better type font lettering at the end in place of the white type that says Consolidated Theatres. Maybe next time they re do the trailer on the 200th anniversary they can upgrade the name of the company with nice large Hawaiian rainbow lettering or something in ocean blue. Still It so nice they still show this before the movie starts. Was not this the chain that Cinerama Theatres/Pacific Theatres owned? Claude thanks for your notes about seeing Godfather at the Cinerama Theatre. I think this Godfather film was shot in flat 1.85 so It must have looked small in the middle of the giant curved Cinerama screen in mono sound. Best of luck to Consolidated Theatres on your centennial and may the curved screens light up for many years in the future for a new generation to enjoy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: