Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Check your fire extinguishers! (Kidde recall)

Author Topic: Check your fire extinguishers! (Kidde recall)
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-04-2017 02:08 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Kidde fire extinguishers with plastic handles and push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers manufactured between 1973 and last month are under recall.

The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail during a fire emergency. Another risk is the nozzle detaching with such force that it could pose a hazard.

The recall requires the device be replaced.

One death has been reported — in 2014, emergency responders in the U.S. were unable to get their extinguisher to work at the scene of a car fire following a crash.

Kidde Recalls Fire Extinguishers with Plastic Handles
quote:
Description:This recall involves two styles of Kidde fire extinguishers: plastic handle fire extinguishers and push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers.

Plastic handle fire extinguishers: The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017, including models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015. The extinguishers were sold in red, white and silver, and are either ABC- or BC-rated. The model number is printed on the fire extinguisher label. For units produced in 2007 and beyond, the date of manufacture is a 10-digit date code printed on the side of the cylinder, near the bottom. Digits five through nine represent the day and year of manufacture in DDDYY format. Date codes for recalled models manufactured from January 2, 2012 through August 15, 2017 are 00212 through 22717. For units produced before 2007, a date code is not printed on the fire extinguisher.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-04-2017 06:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to be a big deal, based upon the number of units affected.

I heard about this yesterday and it turns out that my kitchen fire extinguisher at home has been recalled.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-04-2017 09:24 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got a recall for all the fire extinguishers we have in stock and they're not even that brand. I suppose Kidde makes extinguishers for a bunch of different brands.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-18-2017 08:57 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
All Kidde fire extinguishers with plastic handles and push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers manufactured between 1973 and last month are under recall

The recall requires the device be replaced.

So are they offering to replace extinguishers as old as the year before I was born?! That's pretty outstanding customer service if so. We must be talking about tens of millions of units, if not hundreds. Perhaps they figure that only a tiny proportion of units in the field will actually be returned to them.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-18-2017 09:34 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a phone number to call if you have one of the affected units and they will send you a new one.

I suspect that most of the older units will be out of service and junked years ago since you have to have them tested and recertified every 12 years and in a lot of cases it's cheaper to just buy new ones instead. So I don't think there will be a lot of 13+ year old fire extinguishers around anyway.

I"m sure it's costing a fortune, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: