Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » An Inconvenient Sequel - Inconvenient indeed! (missing key)

Author Topic: An Inconvenient Sequel - Inconvenient indeed! (missing key)
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-16-2017 06:51 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of school classes coming tomorrow to watch An Inconvenient Sequel. Got the movie the other day, got the key and it's valid this morning for today and tomorrow.

So my plan is to check thing this afternoon.

And the key is invalid.

After comparing the filenames I came to the conclusion that the version I got is "OV" and the key the sent me is "US".

No problem -- I'll just phone Deluxe and get the proper key issued.

Did so, and they issued me the wrong (US) key again.

Called again and got asked for the exact CPL title, so I just took a photo of the content summary screen on my server and emailed that back to them showing the movie and the invalid key.

Phoned to insure that they got it, they did.

Not a peep since, and that was four hours ago. I sent them another email but I'm wondering if I'll have to cancel the show for those school kids tomorrow.

I sent an email to the teacher to ask him to phone me at 9am tomorrow before he starts loading the kids on the school bus to insure that the movie is actually going ahead.

I've never lost a show due to a missing key before. Any time I've had a bad key they send me another and I'm good to go in about ten minutes. I don't know what's special about this one.

EDIT: And one minute after I posted this I got a phone call from Deluxe stating that they will be sending me the correct key within the next few minutes.

Sheesh. I've never had so much hassle getting a key before.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-17-2017 05:11 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After (finally) getting a valid key I could play the movie for the school kids today.

And then after that show I had to go outside and pick up all kinds of trash that they threw on the ground. Too difficult to carry it to the trash can that's sitting right there.

Sheesh. I guess that "save the planet" message didn't make it past the front door.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2017 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised a school is showing that film. I haven't seen it but from what I've heard, I don't think it's exactly neutral.

It's also surprising that their teachers/chaperones didn't make the kids pick up their trash. That's one thing I really like about school shows here... we get kids from half-a-dozen schools in the area and they're really good about making the kids pick up their stuff.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2017 06:54 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem with the keys here at the Kingsway Theatre. I spoke to Paramount and they were having all kinds of issues with the keys for this stupid film everywhere it played. It made money here but it is a terrible film. Gore is such a douche - regardless of the point of view the film is not very good. Lots of rambling and head bobbing - pretty much a slow paced infomercial for the geezer crowd.
Highlight of the film is the power point presentation where they use the old scrolling bar graph trick that keeps rolling off screen to demonstrate the reduction in green house fart gases.
Of course the crowd that came to this film bought nothing at the bar and left all their trail mix bags and granny gribbles all over the floor of the theatre.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2017 09:21 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm surprised a school is showing that film. I haven't seen it but from what I've heard, I don't think it's exactly neutral.

You needn't be Mike. Teachers in Canada are highly-paid civil servants with rich benefit and retirement packages. Their unions actively promote, support and donate to (always left leaning liberal) politics and big labor. This goes back many years, not only have my kids been subject to the preaching, but I was as well decades ago. Nowhere close to balanced.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 09:40 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Bird
You needn't be Mike. Teachers in Canada are highly-paid civil servants with rich benefit and retirement packages.
I don't think there's anything wrong with paying your teachers a good salary and making sure their retirement is covered. In the end, it's them who're supposed to teach a new generation and without proper education, we're all pretty much lost in just a few short generations.

I think the downfall of this movie is that it mixes some "science-light" with politics. It just becomes an Al Gore propaganda movie after a few minutes.

I don't think it's wrong to expose a school class to such a movie, as long as the nature of it is acknowledged.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2017 10:15 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never begrudge anyone what they're paid Marcel. I do disagree when teachers introduce personal political bias to children. It takes all viewpoints and full effort of people to operate within all of them to make a society go. The irony of earning a great living whilst shaming those of us born with an inclination to operate within a more entrepreneurial spirit seems lost on some in the profession.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 01:17 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is (or at least was) an class on "Entrepreneurship" at the high school here. I was invited to speak to that class a time or two to describe how the theatre business works. That was quite a few years ago, though.

The irony of a class on entrepreneurship being taught by a salaried and unionized employee didn't escape me, though.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 01:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conscious of the "no politics" rule on this forum, I don't want to stray too much down this road. All I would opine is that as a general rule, the movie theater is probably a better forum than some for political propaganda, because no-one is forced to go there: you are pays your money and you makes your choice. I don't think that the new Al Gore pic is playing anywhere near me, but Hillary's America ran for six weeks at my local 'plex last summer. Presumably that was dictated by local demand (I was surprised at how long it was there for). No taxpayers' money was involved in making or distributing it, and anyone buying a ticket knew exactly what sort of viewpoints and arguments they'd be confronted with. The same applies to Al Gore's greenie rants. If either movie had played on PBS, or at theaters that claim 501(c) status, I would have a problem with that. I'd far rather have Dinesh D'Souza and Michael Moore slugging it out with polemics on the big screen with people paying a few bucks of their own free will to see these movies, than something poisonous and insidious like the BBC, which claims to be a politically neutral public service broadcaster, but which no-one could credibly argue was actually making good on that claim, while at the same time forcing people who oppose its politics to fund it.

I do agree, though, that this general rule breaks down when you're taking schoolkids to the theater, as part of their curriculum, and showing them something that they might not have developed the critical judgment skills to make a mature response to, and without exposing them to counterarguments.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 01:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Bird
I never begrudge anyone what they're paid Marcel. I do disagree when teachers introduce personal political bias to children. It takes all viewpoints and full effort of people to operate within all of them to make a society go. The irony of earning a great living whilst shaming those of us born with an inclination to operate within a more entrepreneurial spirit seems lost on some in the profession.
I think it entirely depends on the context of how this movie is shown, if it can be considered forcing some kind of political perspective on children.

If I'd be a teacher, I'd show it to showcase a nice, modern piece of political propaganda. Lure people in with some light facts and then use their mental acceptance and openness to introduce your own agenda. It's a much more pervasive way than the old-school propaganda of yesteryear.

Most likely, this isn't what happened, but without knowing the context, it's hard to judge. My best guess is that most kids just considered it a field day away from class. At least that's what we usually considered similar excursions back in the day. [Wink]

Like Frank already told us, seemingly the most basic message of the movie already got lost on them. Putting your trash in the trashcan isn't just "doing good for the planet" (although you could argue about the level of goodness in that for weeks [Smile] ), it's also echoes some form of respect for the place you live in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: