Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New screen advice needed

Author Topic: New screen advice needed
Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am attempting to help someone reopen a theater in the Midwest. The plan is to run a mix of commercial, art and classics. Among the many issues to resolve is installing a new screen.

The existing screen is a Hurley Superoptica. The tag shows it to be 22'6" x 50'. The screen has an approx. 6 ft depth of curve and is currently laced. It appears the screen is made of 1" unistrut.

The room is 60' wide and 90' deep and has 425 seats with side aisles.

I have zero experience with this much of a curve. Everyone that I have spoken with has an entirely conflicting option about screen type and how to hang it.

The theater will have digital installed, but will not be showing 3D. It will also continue to have 35mm capability as the owner has a film collection and the equipment is already there and functional.

Also, advice on an installer would be appreciated.

Thanks Travis

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2017 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most experienced screen installers I know is Franklin Designs. They are also insured as I once found out when they tore a 60K dollar screen. I have used them a lot over the years and zero problems. There are no doubt many others out there too.

Franklin Designs

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-12-2017 09:56 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
They destroyed a $60K screen and yet you've had zero problems with them! Also, was that screen made of diamonds?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-2017 09:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, that very company recently killed an auditorium we service when they tried to do some work behind the screen. The theater lost the weekend because of it and they damaged some of the sound equipment in the process too.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-13-2017 09:21 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, is the plan to replace the current screen with an equally curved screen?

In my opinion, a deeply curved screen only adds something useful if it's considerably wider than the seating area. Otherwise, it will primarily introduce headaches.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2017 05:45 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The curved frame though not original to the room, fits well in the room.

I am picking my battles and leaving the front end alone. Replacing the screen frame would necessitate replacing the curtain track and curtain.

I have been around Franklin Design. I have also suffered through an install with Chuck Shoemaker. I suspect that every installer has their good and bad days.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2017 12:00 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always liked a 1950's curved screen look. Some people don't like them but to me It adds something to the look of a movie. Every curved screen has a different curve to It, some more then others. Does anyone these days make a DCP lens to use on a deep curved screen to correct for problems, or can It be done with a chart projector alignment? I have been to some cinemas lately with extra large curved screens and they must have some correction in the lens set up as all the lettering did not bend on the sides but came across straight all across the curved screen and the light level was even with no distortion in the image. Glad you are keeping the curved frame.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: