Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Jahlil Okafor Travels From Philly To New York To See Movies

Author Topic: Jahlil Okafor Travels From Philly To New York To See Movies
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2017 10:49 AM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Source

Jahlil Okafor likes movies. A new profile of him at SB Nation opens with Okafor watching Home Again with his girlfriend. And he mentions at curious fact: Okafor has “been known to take a train from Philadelphia to Manhattan just to catch a flick or two at the iPic.” That wording doesn’t explain how often he does this, but on multiple occasions he has literally taken a train from Philadelphia to New York in order to see a movie.

This is bonkers, of course. In order to see a movie at that theater in New York City, Okafor has to get an Amtrak train from 30th Street Station in Philadelphia to Penn Station in New York City, then get to the iPic theater in Lower Manhattan. It’s at least a two-hour trip each way.

Let’s try to work through Okafor’s thought process here: Center City, Philly’s downtown, has four movie theaters. But the three Ritz theaters are part of the Landmark chain and primarily show independent films, foreign flicks and documentaries. The fourth theater, the Roxy, is run by the Philadelphia Film Society and is old and small. (Okafor might not fit in one of its seats.) But there are plenty of big movie theaters that show all the new movies just outside Center City. Why would he go all the way to New York?!

On the other hand, Okafor makes $4.5 million a year. He’s 21. He’s just looking for ways to spend that much money! And, after looking up his favorite theater online, it does seem pretty nice. It has two levels of seating, and they’re called “Premium” and “Premium Plus.” Okafor can relax and see a crappy Reese Witherspoon movie while getting food delivered right to his table. There isn’t a theater this nice in the Philadelphia area, not even Movie Tavern.

Fortunately, construction has begun on a new movie theater right in Center City Philadelphia, at the site of the old Gallery mall. It’s expected to be open sometime in 2019. So if Jahlil Okafor is still on the Sixers at that time… well, that would be a more surprising twist than anything in an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-12-2017 11:15 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he's trying to spend all of that money, he's not trying hard enough. He should be hiring a limo. Or a copter.

Or, better yet, start his own movie theatre. He can plow through that money in no time.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-2017 11:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this news? If he loves that theater so much, he should contact the parent company's corporate office and tell them he will foot the bill for one built around the corner to him and subsidize any amount over the break-even point should the theater not be successful in his area.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2017 01:11 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: "Michael Putlack"
It has two levels of seating, and they’re called “Premium” and “Premium Plus.”... while getting food delivered right to his table. There isn’t a theater this nice in the Philadelphia area, not even Movie Tavern.
While I have never been to the iPic in Manhattan, the iPic in Fort Lee NJ (across the river from Manhattan) is my favorite first run movie theatre. I have not come across another dine-in theatre (including Alamo) that comes close for comfort, service, and presentation. The "Premium Plus" seats are powered recliners, complete with a pillow, blanket, and unobtrusive table service, in private alcoves for two.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2017 08:55 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite concept is Cobb Cinebistro.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2017 11:00 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the iPic does have some deluxe seats, the seat counts are incredibly small. The seat counts are: 43 43 43 53 61 63 64 138. I haven't been there, but I suspect the screens are very small and I don't know why anyone would travel several hours to see a movie there.

I could see traveling that distance to see an IMAX film at the Loew's Lincoln Square, which has a 101 foot screen or a 70mm film at a good theater or the Dolby Vision theater at the AMC Empire 25 or even to attend a 4DX theater (if that's your thing).

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-21-2017 02:06 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ll just point out that I live SIX hours from the theatre I watch the vast majority of movies at, so consider this kid a rank goddamn amateur.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2017 07:21 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that the person mentioned in the original post, Jahlil Okafor, is nearly seven feet tall, he is a center for the 76ers. I can see how the iPic would become his go-to theatre with its recliners and leg room.

On the other hand, I once flew from New York to Los Angeles to go to the movies, specifically to see This is Cinerama in it's original three-strip format at the Arclight Dome. It was one of the greatest movie-going experiences of my life (and booth pics are in the Warehouse).

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2017 04:23 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is crazy at all. Manhattan is a nice place to visit, and if you have time and money to burn a train trip is very pleasant. Taking a day to read a book on the train, catch a couple of flicks, have a nice dinner in New York, and finish your book on the trip back sounds to me like a perfect day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: