Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Warner Brothers asking theatres to pull GeoStorm one-sheets

Author Topic: Warner Brothers asking theatres to pull GeoStorm one-sheets
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-07-2017 08:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received an email today where Warner Brothers is asking theatres to pull all one-sheets for GeoStorm with the tagline "Brave the Storm". They are doing this out of sensitivity for those affected by Hurricane Harvey and potentially affected by Hurricane Irma. The studio says new one-sheets will be sent soon.

No indication at this time they are changing the October 20 release date.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-07-2017 10:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh brother.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2017 05:49 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How stupid. As somebody about to go through a potentially catastrophic storm, I can guarantee you that a slogan on a one sheet will have less than zero effect on me. Who the hell cares?

If you go through a storm, it doesn't mean that you can never see anything about a storm again. This takes PC over sensitivity to a new level.

The only morons that would complain about something like that are the people that HAVE NOT gone through the storm. People in Texas that were devastated by Harvey and the people in Florida (and possibly more states) about to be devastated by Irma have MUCH more important things to care about.

There was a period where they made a lot of WWII movies. Did the WWII veterans melt or protest? I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-08-2017 06:35 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You only need to look at the trailer to understand why they need an excuse to pull it from release.

This thing has cluster bomb written all over it with big fat neon letters that you can see from space. Obviously, TV movie director Dean Devlin learned it from the best: Roland Emmerich.

Unbelievable they spent years trying to get it made...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-08-2017 07:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instant collector's items, but probably no Revenge of the Jedi.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-08-2017 08:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a Spiderman trailer where the web was between the Twin-Towers. Yes, Revenge of the Jedi stuff is collectable.

I think it is silly to worry about a tag line on a movie versus real-life. I'm sure when "Twister" came out somebody somewhere was going through a real one too.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-08-2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very memorable gaffe along those lines happened the day after the accidental shooting of an innocent man by police officers on a London tube (subway) train that was parked at a station platform. Less than 10 yards from the scene of the shooting was this movie poster. Note the tag line:

-

Apparently it stayed up for several days before someone pointed out to the station's management that it was in somewhat poor taste, given the recent events.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2017 02:56 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have that Spider-Man trailer myself...

Now what about IT's "You'll float too!" [Big Grin]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-11-2017 04:14 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could just put up a blank poster and potentially offend someone, somewhere. Because, you know, why isn't it black? Or yellow or red? Why isn't it a rainbow?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-11-2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember how 20th Century Fox considered whether or not to delay the May 19, 1995 release of Die Hard With A Vengeance.

The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City had been truck-bombed one month earlier on April 19 by domestic terrorists. 168 people were killed, including 19 children and 3 pregnant women. Several hundred more people were wounded.

The plot of Die Hard With A Vengeance revolved around a mad bomber wanting revenge for his brother's death from the first Die Hard movie.

Fox went ahead and released the movie on schedule, which is what they should have done IMHO. The movie had been in development for years. Only an idiot could think a movie studio could whip out a Die Hard sequel in just a couple weeks to capitalize on a national tragedy. The same thing goes for people thinking movie studios would time a disaster movie's release right after two big hurricane strikes.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2017 12:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I could 'brave' the cheesy looking special effects in this movie...

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 04:07 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be a regional recall because I just (five minutes ago) received the one-sheets that say Brave the Storm from the film warehouse, and I haven't received any email about it from anyone either.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 05:00 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Canadian branch just didn't get the memo yet. [Wink]

I still remember there was some serious debate back in 2001/2002 whether the second installment of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings franchise should get a name change. "The Two Towers" was just too confronting, according to some. Never mind that Tolkien came up with the title, long before the WTC Twin Towers were even built...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 03:29 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Columbia burned up on re-entry I called the theater and told them to pull all the trailers for The Core.

"Why?"

"Just pull them off now."

There was a shot of the space shuttle re-entering the atmosphere in that trailer and it was out of control and starting to burn up.

A few hours later the email came in from the home office... "Pull the trailers for The Core and Paramount will be sending out new ones."

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2017 01:11 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have not posted in eons, but I'm still alive and kicking. I remember the Spiderman trailer, and yes, I too saved it and I'm sure many of us who worked 35MM booths did so as well.

I can certainly understand the pulling of that trailer. This recall, not so much.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: