Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Trash bag recommendations

Author Topic: Trash bag recommendations
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2017 03:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you all use for trash bags? We have 4 Rubbermaid trashcans that use 55-gallon bags. I've used several different types over the years, and the most recent one we got was nice and thick but now it doesn't seem available anymore.... recommendations please?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-11-2017 03:46 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if you can get them there, but I use Sunspun Extra Heavy garbage bags here. They come in a box of 100 and the bags currently cost about 25 cents each. (They were 12 cents each when I first started using them.)

I actually bought a couple of boxes last week. I just looked at the box to see if it says who makes the bags, but it just says "Sunfresh Ltd" in the fine print on the box.

I've never had one of those "extra heavy" bags break yet, unless I put something sharp or pointed in it if I'm using it for yard waste or something. But just as a bag in the trash can for customers -- never any problems at all.

The Sunspun regular bags (not extra heavy) cost about half of the price but are not nearly as good.

Unfortunately, none of them are raven-proof so I have to keep the week's garbage in my garage until after the show on the night before Garbage Day.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2017 07:14 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - not related but a few years back I was at a movie theatre that used leaf blowers. Blowing all the garbage right to the front where they would use snow shovels to heave it into a bin next to the screen. Not sure how much more farmer than this you could get?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-11-2017 09:42 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone once told me that the theatre down-the-road from me does that.

Sounds like a good way to get your screen covered with ick.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The leaf blower is best used for leaves.

If you really want to cry, think of what the blower puts into the pipe organ console located in the orchestra pit!

That is on a par with the confetti cannons belching paper shrapnel into the pit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-12-2017 07:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the Mil (or, micron for our international partners) thickness on the bag, is what should be important on choosing the best bag.

Thin is cheaper, but thicker is stronger and less able to tear, esp with 55gal size, which holds quite the amount of items inside, esp if damp, or wet.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2017 12:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam's club house brand Members Mark are really good bags. Get the really big ones in the blue box. You will be pleased at the quality and durability.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2017 08:21 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Sams Club bags. I used the 45 gallon ones. They were thin but strong and inexpensive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: