Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Warren Theatres Sold to Regal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Warren Theatres Sold to Regal
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-19-2017 09:37 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the world just ended.

Buyer Confirms Purchase of 7 Warren Theatres

Regal Entertainment Group confirmed in a Friday press release that it is buying seven Warren Theatres.

On Thursday, The Eagle reported that it was likely the Tennessee-based company was buying Bill Warren’s Wichita-based theater chain.

The sale includes all of Warren’s theaters in Wichita – the east-side, west-side and Old Town Warren Theatres, the Palace Theatre and Movie Machine inside Towne West Square – and his theaters in Moore and Broken Arrow, Okla.

The sale does not include the two new theaters Warren is building in Oklahoma City.

“I know our movie-going guests and our 1,400 cast members will be in great hands with Regal,” Warren said in a statement. “I have long been impressed with Regal’s high standards of quality showmanship and outstanding customer service.”

Regal CEO Amy Miles said in the statement that Warren Theatres is a market leader in Wichita and Oklahoma City.

“We are honored and excited to add these high-quality assets to our circuit and expect the transaction to be immediately accretive to our earnings and cash flow.”

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-19-2017 09:44 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"1,400 cast members"?

Is that how they refer to employees? Are they only acting like cashiers and doormen?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-19-2017 09:57 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney also calls most of their theme park employees "Cast Members".

I wonder what will happen with the new sites he's building. Will they be sold later on or does he intent to focus on those?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-19-2017 12:25 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren's comments...

Wichita Eagle

quote:
Bill Warren confirms Warren Theatres sale to Regal Entertainment
BY CARRIE RENGERS
crengers@wichitaeagle.com

An emotional Bill Warren confirms he’s sold seven of his Warren Theatres, including all of the Wichita ones, to Tennessee-based Regal Entertainment Group.

The deal is effective immediately. Though it was a difficult decision to sell his almost 30-year-old company, Warren, 68, says it was the right one to permit him to do even bigger things.

“There’s a lot more seller’s happiness than seller’s regret.”

On Thursday, The Eagle reported that Regal was likely buying the Wichita-based theater chain.

The sale includes all of Warren’s theaters in Wichita – the east-side, west-side and Old Town Warren Theatres, the Palace Theatre and Movie Machine inside Towne West Square – and his theaters in Moore and Broken Arrow, Okla.

The sale does not include the two new theaters Warren is building in Oklahoma City.

Warren says he hand-picked Regal in large part because of the company’s CEO, Amy Miles.

“If it wasn’t for Amy, I don’t think I ever would have sold,” Warren says.

He calls her sharp, accomplished and “probably one of the most decent, easy-to-talk-to people I’ve ever met in my life.”

Warren says that was important to him because of how much he cares for his customers and employees.

“This is a legacy thing.”

In a statement, Miles said Warren Theatres is a market leader in Wichita and Oklahoma City.

“We are honored and excited to add these high-quality assets to our circuit and expect the transaction to be immediately accretive to our earnings and cash flow.”

Warren’s office will remain in Wichita even though he’s out of the theater business here. He says he’s looking to grow his business elsewhere.

In a wide-ranging interview, Warren discussed what brought him to this point in the theater business and where he’s likely to go.

“I just want to reshape the theater business and reshape what people expect going into a theater,” he says. “That’s my third reincarnation in the movie theater business, and I’m really looking forward to it.”

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“I have long been impressed with Regal’s high standards of quality showmanship and outstanding customer service.”
Warren is not retarded. What a crock of shit. There's no way he thinks that's true. I wonder how much they paid him to say that.

This is the worst industry news I've heard since the digital conversion. I am quite literally sick to my stomach.

All those Warren employees would be better off just quitting right the fuck now.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2017 03:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a Senior Cast Member at my REG location, which is a title pertaining to one that has leadership qualities and represents the other cast members to the MGMT team.

It's a higher paid job, has more responsibilities, gives instruction and oversees operation in the floor.

Nice thing about this is that the person doesn't have to suit up, but stay in cast member uniform.

More or less, this person is like a shift lead, but in a more entire role.

Plus, with the taking over of the Warren, this will give REG a more idea on how to run a food and beverage cinema, if they retain the mgmt team of the floor and the restaurant.

They know the industry is now heading in this direction

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-19-2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I had a sneaking suspicion a move like this was coming. When Warren Theaters dropped THX certification from all its screens (going with this new "WAVE" thing) that seemed like a big warning sign.

I'm not sure what Regal will do to "fix" various things at the existing Warren sites. But I worry. All those curtains and masking on the screens could soon be disappearing. Other down-grades on the decor (to cut maintenance costs) wouldn't surprise me. I don't know how Regal could "RPX" any of these Warren screens without seriously harming existing sound/projection quality. I'm not sure how Regal could even Frankenstein the "RPX" sign system and decor into these theaters either. In terms of visual theme they're polar opposites.

There are some actual upgrades Regal could do with some of these screens. Only two of Warren's existing screens have Atmos, the two Grand Infinity houses at the Broken Arrow Warren.

As for the two theaters in Oklahoma City that Bill Warren has in progress, what chain affiliation or brand will these two theaters have? Will they be Warren branded or something else? I assume this Regal buy out would include the branding rights of Warren Theaters.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2017 10:59 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
REG has been positioning themselves to be more in the F&B game starting with assuming all management responsibility of the cinebarre locations last year, their two santikos purchases this year and now this. The hate here is pretty funny actually considering people are claiming Warren was "paid" to say nice things. From his interview it sounds like he wanted to exit the space and sell, considering the size and scope of his theaters he really could have only sold to either AMC, Cinemark or Regal

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-20-2017 12:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Montes
The hate here is pretty funny actually considering people are claiming Warren was "paid" to say nice things. From his interview it sounds like he wanted to exit the space and sell, considering the size and scope of his theaters he really could have only sold to either AMC, Cinemark or Regal
I know Bill Warren is not the age of a spring chicken. But did Bill Warren not have anyone within his family or theater organization who could have taken over the reigns of his theater chain to maintain the vision of what this chain was supposed to be? Why sell out?

A good example is In-N-Out Burger. I know not everyone is a fan of that fast food chain, but I still respect the integrity of this deliberately family-run, privately owned company. The couple who started the chain, Harry and Esther Snyder, are both gone now. Their only grandchild, Lynsi Snyder is the company owner now. There are investors begging and pleading for this company to go public. Lynsi Synder could literally cash in billions of dollars by taking the company public. But that's not what the founders wanted. Last time I checked anyone waiting for an In-N-Out IPO shouldn't hold their breath waiting for it to happen. Obviously the Snyder family doesn't want to do an IPO because they don't want any more "partners." They don't want a board of directors telling them how they need to be running their company. The existing owners already know how to do that.

So, yeah, I can't help but feel like this news with Warren Theaters is a big example of selling out. The movie-going experience is already in deep enough trouble as it is with all the idiocy happening with major Hollywood studios and their never ending quest to eliminate the theatrical release window. Chains like Warren Theaters were an oasis among so many fast food quality theater locations. Warren locations were a reason to appreciate getting out of the house to see a movie, as opposed to watching it on the TV screen at home. I just don't get the same vibe from an AMC or Regal location.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-20-2017 04:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The movie-going experience is already in deep enough trouble as it is with all the idiocy happening with major Hollywood studios and their never ending quest to eliminate the theatrical release window.
Heard stories why Campbell stepped down and let Amy Miles take over REG..for this same reason, but this could be hearsay.

Another "Peter Principle" situation.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2017 07:03 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
"1,400 cast members"?

Is that how they refer to employees? Are they only acting like cashiers and doormen?

Yes. Regular employees are cast members and GMs are simply numbers. For example, if you are the GM of a theatre whose theatre number is 777 - you are officially "GM777". When you call corporate for any reason, they don't want your name, they want your number.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-20-2017 08:50 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Bill Warren is not the age of a spring chicken. But did Bill Warren not have anyone within his family or theater organization who could have taken over the reigns of his theater chain to maintain the vision of what this chain was supposed to be? Why sell out?
One look at what the Patrick boys did to Carmike should answer your question. And really, when you get to a certain size the vision of what a chain should be is to make money.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-22-2017 04:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
you are officially "GM777"
..and that's how the email address is to the GM: gm, no space,location number (no space between the two) at regalcinemas dot com.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery

"1,400 cast members"?

quote: Dennis Benjamin
Yes. Regular employees are cast members and GMs are simply numbers. For example, if you are the GM of a theatre whose theatre number is 777 - you are officially "GM777". When you call corporate for any reason, they don't want your name, they want your number.
Bill Warren was the one who referred to his employees as cast members, however you are correct in the regal numbering scheme, though I was never referred to as my GM# when I was there. I almost like it better than one company I worked for who just had our emails as city@xyzcorp.com and would just refer to my building as the city we were in...

I think the cast member thing is just big companies trying to put the disney magic into their building, referring to them as being "on stage" or "putting on a show"

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2017 08:20 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie-going experience is already in deep enough trouble as it is with all the idiocy happening with major Hollywood studios and their never ending quest to eliminate the theatrical release window. Chains like Warren Theaters were an oasis among so many fast food quality theater locations. Warren locations were a reason to appreciate getting out of the house to see a movie, as opposed to watching it on the TV screen at home. I just don't get the same vibe from an AMC or Regal location.
I think between the virtual lock on new releases AMC and Regal have in most markets, the fact that the vast majority of the movie going public no longer gives a #$@! about presentation quality (who cares what the movie looks like on-screen when you're on Facebook or sending/responding to text messages for half the movie) and the expensive retrofits chains are having to do to even get butts in seats (leather full reclining chairs, shakers under the seats, full bars at the concession stands, and adding Atmos/Dolby Cinema houses), I think Warren just saw the writing on the wall.

I really loved seeing The Force Awakens on the IMAX in Moore, OK, but I suspect the future will be the studios making a deal with the major exhibitors and getting the window down to zero by allowing people to stream movies day and date with theater release via the AMC, Cinemark or Regal apps. [Frown]

I will give some kudos to Regal as many of their locations still actually open side masking rather than letterbox the image on a 1.85:1 screen to show 2.35:1 or wider content, and they did host a 70mm run of The Hateful Eight in Denver.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: