Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » District Theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: District Theatres
Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2017 01:47 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard of "District Theatres"? I can't find any information on them doing a Google Search.

This is an old General Cinema 6-plex that they have their signage on.

-

Much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2017 05:19 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this:

District Theatres

Not that it's helpful at the moment.

Donnacha Kenny
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2017 11:57 AM      Profile for Donnacha Kenny   Email Donnacha Kenny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
District Theatres is a new boutique branch of Star Cinema Grill, apart from the look and feel of the main brand, but still with the food & drink, reserved seats, full bar and so on. SCG has this and three more locations opening in Texas this year.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2017 04:51 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an old theatre chain called District theatres in the Washington, DC area. 14 theatres.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2017 09:31 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Donnacha Kenny
District Theatres is a new boutique branch of Star Cinema Grill, apart from the look and feel of the main brand, but still with the food & drink, reserved seats, full bar and so on.
That is very interesting. I had suspected that this was Star Cinema going back into the old location they left to build the 10-plex at Baybrook Mall. Interesting that they'll have that many more screens to compete with Cinemark's Webster location.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2017 03:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the photo, I was thinking that was Star's old Webster location. Interesting that Omar is going in with a new concept there. I'm curious if he will be playing the same product, or maybe going more indie? Houston is really an indie dessert. River Oaks is about your only option for most small runs.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2017 02:34 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really disliking how so many theaters are turning into reserved seating theaters. EVERY...SINGLE....RESERVED seat theater ive visited involved either patrons already being in our assigned seats or people claiming we are in their assigned seats only to be proved wrong. Or you go to choose your seat when paying and there will be dozens of seats to choose from except each availlable seat are only singles, doted all over the theater so my wife and I could't set together. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-27-2017 03:43 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do reserved seating, but on the rare occasions when my theatre is getting over about 80% full I start telling people that there are seats left, but there may not be any seats together. Some people leave and others say "That's fine it doesn't matter" and purchase their ticket.

About 25% of the "that's fine" people come back five minutes later and say "We can't find seats together so we want our money back."

[Confused]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2017 04:50 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding reserved seating:

I only go to theatres that have it now. Get my tickets online and don't have to hurry to get to the theatre.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2017 11:05 AM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
I only go to theatres that have it now. Get my tickets online and don't have to hurry to get to the theatre.
I second this. Plus a local theatre I go to will let my place my concession order online with my ticket purchase and they'll bring it to my seat as well. Skip all the lines!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-30-2017 10:44 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall I still dislike reserved seating.

Visiting a reserved seating theater pretty much requires you to buy your tickets online in advance if you want a good seat and/or are buying 2 or more tickets and want to sit together. Buying online adds another buck or more of surcharges to a ticket price that is already probably pretty damned expensive on its own.

Buying a reserved seat is no guarantee your seat will be open when you get to the theater. Like Jarod said, very often some ignorant asshole will be in your seat and you have to confront him about it. Sometimes they move without any trouble. Other times you'll have to get a manager involved while others in the theater give you the vibe, "why don't you just sit somewhere else and let the asshole have your seat?" In order to prevent that needless bullshit you're still stuck needing to get to the theater early to keep idiots out of your reserved seats.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2017 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's another advantage of the small-town single screen theater....we do get the occasional sellout, but by and large if you get to our boxoffice before the showtime, you'll get a seat. If you get there 10 or 15 minutes early you'll probably get the exact seats you want.

We follow the same strategy as Frank...we have 194 seats, and once we get to about 140 we have a "Mostly single seats available" sign we put up at the boxoffice.

The first time we were at a reserved-seat theater, we got to our auditorium to find we were the only two people in for that show! We still sat in our assigned seats though, since they were literally the best in the house.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-30-2017 03:27 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having never bothered with reserved seating I've got a question: How do they deal with the wheelchair seats? I could, I imagine, reserve one in advance and they wouldn't know I don't have a wheelchair unless they somehow overbook wheelchairs for that show. Would they kick me out of the wheelchair seat even though they sold me a ticket for it? Or would they tell the person with the wheel chair they are out of seats (assuming they were)?
Or, do they just not pre sell wheel chair seats, leaving them open for we non reserving late arrivers who like the extra space and legroom?

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2017 08:27 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to reserved seating theaters often. At the time I started going, I signed up for the AMC app and the convenience fee is waived.

I am not praising AMC, but in my area, it's them or Wehrenberg now Marcus. The AMC location that was renovated with recliners is an old theater. The conversion has made parking a breeze. The price increase has also helped to dissuade the trailer park and hood crowd.

I love buying my tickets from my phone and showing the ticket taker the code and hopping in the AMC premiere line.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2017 09:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Buying online adds another buck or more of surcharges to a ticket price that is already probably pretty damned expensive on its own
The theatre that I normally go to has no extra charge on their online ticketing. I have found mostly that only the big chains are charging and arm and a leg for their tickets.

quote: Martin McCaffery
How do they deal with the wheelchair seats? I could, I imagine, reserve one in advance and they wouldn't know I don't have a wheelchair unless they somehow overbook wheelchairs for that show
At our locations,there are handicap companion seats and spaces that can only be sold to a customer in person at the theatre box office.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: