Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What will the market bear (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What will the market bear
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-29-2017 09:00 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The highest grossing movie in Montgomery last night was Baahubali 2 at the Carmike/AMC/NewVision Festival Plaza.
I've got no idea what the Indian population of Montgomery is (though we only have two Indian restaurants), and maybe they all came on the same night.
What's weird is the pricing structure for the movie.
Regular prices at the Festival Plaza are $7 matinee, $10.25 evening (no 3D or BigD).
Here's the set up for this film:
10am: Hindi all seats $16.50
2pm: Tamil $22.50 adults/ $16.50 kids
5:45pm & 9:30pm Telugu: $25.30 adults/ $16.50 kids

3 languages, three overpriced ticket levels. I guess with digital it is easy to set up. Is this the future of movies? Will art houses start charging more to see an anime in Japanese than dubbed in English?
Outside of the very specialized Bollywood market, anyone else seeing attempts to gouge a niche market like this?
I presume there are places with heavy Spanish speaking populations that may show something in Spanish and English. Do they charge more for one?
It would be illegal to do this with open captions, wouldn't it? I certainly wouldn't put it past someone to try.

|  IP: Logged

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin: Maybe they raised the rates for Tamil and Telegu because the shows are later and more limited in audience/market size? Sorta like renting a theatre for your own private use may average out to cost more than just buying tickets to a typical show? I have heard that Indians don't buy much at the snack bar so, maybe this is a consideration affecting admission prices as well?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-29-2017 03:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was this a rental or are the ticket prices set by the cinema?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-29-2017 03:42 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. It is playing at various AMC and NewVision theaters around the country. It is also a full week, four show a day presentation. So unless it's a four-wall, it seems to be the theatre's call.

FWIW: AMC just ran a Fathom event of what I think is a Christian Comedienne at $25 a ticket. Most of their Fathom events are in the $12.50 to $15 range.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-29-2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre in Regina is playing this right now; I just checked their website and found this:

quote:
Baahubali 2 The Conclusion (14A)
Violence | 171 Min
Tickets
Adults $15.00
Children $10.00
Cash sales only.
No Passes or Coupons

It looks like their regular adult price is $10 and child price is $7.50, so this is priced higher than their regular movies.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-30-2017 12:28 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's apparently working in any case. Box Office Mojo is reporting it's the
#3 domestic box office winner this weekend.

quote:
In third is the mammoth release of the Tollywood sensation, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion distributed by Great India Films in North America. Playing in a mere 425 theaters the film brought in an estimated $10.1 million, a whopping $23,855 per theater average and nearly three times as much as the opening for the 2015 original. This is the largest opening for an Indian film dome

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2017 01:23 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked the Bakersfield Regal prices for this. REGULAR Prices are $6.95 matinees, $9.95 evenings. Prices for this film are $15 matinees and $23 evenings.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-30-2017 04:21 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, do we think we see $25 tickets for say, a new Star Wars film? The return of the "Road Show"?
That would sure make the new $50 prime TV system look more enticing.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-30-2017 10:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we ARE the only entertainment industry that prices brand new super-desirable products the same as nobody-cares products.

Considering all the options with computerization available now, I would guess it's just a matter of time until we see more popular movies being priced higher than flops.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-30-2017 10:16 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember someone trying to do this many years ago (pre-digital). I'm not sure how it ended, put pretty sure the studios disapproved.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2017 11:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah, because they don't want to see their brand new $175 million would-be blockbuster going directly to the bargain bin, even though that's where some of them deserve to go.

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Parkway Plaza in Tukwila WA has all seats at $15.75 including kids. Their regular adult evening admission is $12.80.

Way back in the day the SRO Tacoma Mall Twin charged $5 instead of the usual $4.50 for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. They made a note of it in their newspaper ad.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2017 01:18 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could this be the beginning of higher-priced tickets on the first weekend, then a price decrease during the first weekdays through the second weekend, and then another price drop on the second week's weekdays?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-02-2017 03:27 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC here has been doing that with some of the blockbuster films, but that theatre is a discount theatre anyway. The bigger films start out at the higher rate and work their way down. Non-blockbusters are just at the discount rate from the beginning.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2017 07:17 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
So, do we think we see $25 tickets for say, a new Star Wars film?
I would not pay $25 to see a new Star Wars movie at the cinema.

I would happily pay $25 to see the original Star Wars film at the cinema.*

I am thinking about paying $25 (per ticket) to take my daughter to see Titanic at the Littleton Alamo Drafthouse this summer. (The price includes brunch and drinks) I'm on the fence, but if it's the only way I can show her that film on the Big Screen, I may do it.

There are actually a number of movies I would pay ~$25 to see on the Big Screen, especially to take my kids to see them for the first time.

Geoff

*Not the Special Edition. I would not watch those even if you paid me $25.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: