Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who is New Vision Theatres?

Author Topic: Who is New Vision Theatres?
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-07-2017 07:57 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone heard of New Vision Theatres before?
New Vision Theatres
Overnight our two Carmikes changed into New Vision. Yesterday they were part of the "AMC Family" now they are NVT.
AMC was ordered to divest of either the new Carmike Chantilly or the old, former RAVE, AMC Festival Plaza here. I can't believe they kept the old run down theatre and sold the Chantilly and the Prattville (former O'Neills) Promenade.
Is is possible New Vision is a subsidiary or spin off of AMC?
There is this from the home FAQ page:

quote:
The AMC website will no longer list movie titles and show times for this theater. You will be able to find information on Fandango, MovieTickets dot com and other popular online search engines. You can also find movies and show times at our website or get show times and other valuable information automatically by signing up for our weekly newsletter at www.NewVisionTheatres.com Within the next few weeks, all New Vision Theatres will also have their own Facebook pages where you can find out what's happening. And there's always the box office phone number. That isn't going to change.
This may be entertaining to watch.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2017 09:01 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Is is possible New Vision is a subsidiary or spin off of AMC?
I'm going to guess that a former higher up at AMC left (either on thier own or otherwise) and quickly threw together a theatre company for the sole purpose of picking up any of the theatres that were shed by the merger.

This happened at other big chains in the past, such as Regal. There are several former VPs and Directors that were at Regal that are now the head of thier own companies. These companies run locations that were former Regal sites that were "lost" in bankruptcy or mergers.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-07-2017 09:47 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still haven't found much, but it does appear all of their theatres were AMC, as AMC is now carrying a link (AMC Link).
Your theory sounds likely.

They set up a Twitter account in February, but have not tweeted anything.

No mentions, yet in Variety or IMDBPro.

Oh wait, here we go:
Box Office Pro

BOXOFFICE Hall of Fame: Bud Mayo, New Vision Entertainment
Bud Mayo, Chairman, New Vision Entertainment

AUTHOR BOXOFFICE STAFF PUBLISHED MARCH 30, 2017 COMMENTS 0
A veteran in the exhibition industry and pioneering voice for the expansion of event cinema in North America, the latest turn in Bud Mayo‘s career is the launch of a new circuit called New Vision Theatres. The circuit will have three primary areas of focus in its appeal to today’s moviegoers: enhanced food & beverage offerings, event cinema programming, and luxury seating. New Vision will look to leverage these three popular trends with marketing and operational initiatives developed to provide an outstanding guest experience. The company’s three co-founders —Bud Mayo, Chuck Goldwater, and Brett Marks– have all worked together in multiple ventures dating back to Mayo‘s first acquisition of a New Jersey movie theater in December 1994. With investment partners already secured, New Vision will be announcing its first acquisition soon –the first step in an exciting new chapter of Mayo‘s career.

By Chuck Goldwater, President, New Vision Entertainment

“We’ll figure it out.” With those words I began to learn and appreciate Bud’s brilliance in business. And equally his brilliance in life. At its essence what Bud was teaching us was simply to take the first step, and then another, trusting that we would always find our way to what would work best. Ultimately all the way to success.

One of Bud’s favorite quotes, by Ralph Waldo Emerson, is, “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” Bud embodies that sentiment totally. Bud is a pure entrepreneur. He is always moving forward, acting decisively, encouraging and inspiring everyone around him by example. And always with enthusiasm, which lifts everyone around him.

Enabling Bud’s enviable history of success in business are core personal principles that guide his life, and inspire others around him. I remember my first Cinedigm executive team off-site meeting. We were just getting started with our digital cinema business and looking to accelerate it together with our existing software and content delivery businesses. I was fairly new at the company, all excited to get together with my new colleagues. So at 8:30 in the morning, the day after a long week at what was then called ShoWest, there we all were, 20 senior executives, expecting to hear about our vision and mission, structure and process, all the usual off-site meeting agenda topics. Instead Bud’s began the meeting by telling us: “First, I want you to take care of yourselves; to exercise, eat well, get your rest, spend time with your family and your friends.” Okay, I thought to myself, that makes sense, the by-product of all that will make us better able to do our work at the highest level of performance. “Second,” he continued, “I want you to make yourself the kind of person others want to see succeed.” So Bud wanted a company full of good people, competing aggressively for sure, but morally, and succeeding by doing the right thing always. I was hooked.

As I got more involved in the company, and my responsibilities, and the company, began to grow, Bud asked me if we could have a regular weekly call to keep more closely updated with everything going on. We set the calls for Friday morning. One week he called to tell me he could not make it that Friday but could we do it anytime over the weekend when I had some free time. I was playing golf Saturday morning so I asked Bud if we could have our call after that. He said that was perfect, he would be on his way home from an all-day workshop. I assumed it was some public company CEO event, maybe an SEC or a corporate governance seminar. So when we got on the call I asked him how the seminar had been. He said, “It was great, I’ve always wanted to do clay sculpture.” I laughed and told him I had assumed it had been a business thing. Bud replied, “You have to take time to feed the soul, too.”

Throughout our industry people know the enormous professional and personal success Bud has achieved over the years. He would be the first to tell you that a good amount of that success is owed to the many people that have been a part of his team, some going back many years and continuing forward together from Clearview, to Cinedigm, to Digiplex and Carmike, and now New Vision Theatres. Bud engenders that much loyalty, respect and affection. He would tell you a great deal of his success also is owed to his family that is so important to him: his wife, Sudy, his four children, his nine grandchildren.

As Bud, and so many of us on his veteran team, now begin yet another new venture together, you can be sure we will do our best to follow Bud’s example: to take care of ourselves, to make ourselves the kind of person that others want to see succeed, and, yes, to take some time to feed our souls as well. And ultimately enjoy more success together, both professionally and personally. As we continue to “figure it out” every step of the way.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-07-2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it looks like the three principles were at Digiplex which got bought up by Carmike which in turn got bought up by AMC. So they form New Visions and take some of the AMC divestitures (which may be some of Digiplex's old theatres) and form the new company. Indicates a strong interest in "alternative" programming.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-07-2017 01:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
AMC was ordered to divest of either the new Carmike Chantilly or the old, former RAVE, AMC Festival Plaza here. I can't believe they kept the old run down theatre and sold the Chantilly and the Prattville (former O'Neills) Promenade.
It's probably easier for a company like AMC to sell a better quality theater than sell an older site.

I'm still wondering how the AMC divestiture will play out here in Lawton. Right now the AMC web site has both first run theaters in town listed (the old Central Mall 12 theater and new Carmike Patriot 13 theater) as well as the former Carmike 8, now called the AMC Classic 8. AMC has to sell one of the first run theaters.

I've heard a couple people locally swear up and down that AMC is selling the old mall theater. I just can't imagine any theater operator in his right mind wanting to buy that. It's a 16 year old theater with tiny screens, low ceilings (the mall is only 1 level) and no room for adding things like recliners and dining options. Central Mall is struggling badly yet its owners are still price gouging the shit out of its tenants on rent. Sears just closed. JCPenney dodged one round of store closings, but may get caught in the next wave of closing announcements.

If this mall theater was going to fall under the umbrella of New Vision Theaters it would not work very well with the concept Bud Mayo has in mind. Honestly I can't see AMC or anyone doing anything to that theater location other than closing it and perhaps building a larger stand alone theater on that side of town. I wish I knew how many years are left in the mall theater's lease. If the lease was about to expire then the sale might be more enticing. A new operator would take over that theater just to shut it, but have that market secured for a new site.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-15-2017 02:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like AMC's deal with New Vision Theatres has been finalized over this past week. The AMC web site has a special page set up listing the locations associated with New Vision:
https://www.amctheatres.com/new-vision

I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm still amazed the AMC 12-plex in our local mall was sold in that package deal to New Vision. I just don't know what the new owners are going to do with the place other than run it as is until the lease expires and then perhaps just close it. For the past couple or so months the mall theater was listed on AMC's web site for Lawton locations along with the two former Carmike locations. Now the mall theater is listed on that new AMC/New Vision page and the links hop to the Fandango page.

I can't say I'm a fan of that New Vision logo. Aside from the clunky design the backwards "N" on "Vision" makes it subliminally read as an "M". It will be difficult taking this new movie theater company seriously until they start building new theater locations and following through with renovation plans on the existing locations. I'm also not a big fan of hedge fund groups buying all sorts of businesses, especially when they have little if any experience running such businesses. Just look at the mess that has become of Sears and Kmart. Those brands were already struggling, but the hedge fund group that owns them made all sorts of fatal mistakes like being cheap as hell with store upkeep.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-15-2017 06:31 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the hedge fund stuff makes me think they are just going to fix up a few of them an flip them.
AMC has listed the Montgomery theatre (the aforementioned former Rave) as an AMC Classic. They haven't lowered the price to $1.50, but all other AMC Classic theaters are $1.50 houses, so it must be coming. And nobody puts money into a $1.50 house. Still waiting to see what NewVision does with the old Prattville theatre (older than the Rave, but no competition). Suspect they will just leave the relatively new Carmike alone.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-15-2017 11:06 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Vision Website FAQ

quote:
My Theater is Part of New Vision. What Changes will I see?

Your local theatre is now part of New Vision Theatres. Over the next few months, you may notice different signs on the building with more emphasis on the name you naturally think of first related to this theatre. Our focus isn't on a giant corporate brand - it's 100% about you - our neighbors in the community and making local entertainment as enjoyable as can be.

Translation: they're not remodeling anything. This is going to be a "take over dumps on the cheap, run them into the ground, and dump them" circuit.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2017 01:01 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh I hate the logo too. Its just terrible, uninspired and very clunky. About like what they are doing to these theaters from the sounds of it.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2017 02:03 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what it'll be like to work at any of those theaters in the coming years.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2017 05:38 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
It will be difficult taking this new movie theater company seriously until they start building new theater locations and following through with renovation plans on the existing locations
The two above things will never happen. I have some familiarity with "Digiplex Destinations". That company did the same thing and like another poster mentioned they "flipped" those theatres. They are looking to grow the company to a certain amount of locations in a certain amount of markets and then unload them.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2017 11:43 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a surprise that AMC transferred their Fitchburg, Wisconsin location to New Vision. This is an 18-screen location with an IMAX auditorium that was built in 1999 and has been an AMC since 2010.

The location is a good one. It's outside the beltline, but I would think it has a good location for the SW suburban audience. It would be unfortunate to see the new company run it into the ground, and I can't see Marcus picking it up because of its proximity to the Point Cinema.

That leaves AMC with the Sundance Cinemas 608 Madison, which is a more upscale, 6-screen location a few miles to the north, and the AMC Star Johnson Creek 12. AMC identifies that as a Madison location, but it's too far out of town when closer options are available from Marcus.

I'm not even sure that AMC is going to keep the Sundance, as it's not listed on AMC's site, and the Sundance Cinemas web site just forwards to the West Hollywood location page.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-19-2017 03:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
It's a surprise that AMC transferred their Fitchburg, Wisconsin location to New Vision. This is an 18-screen location with an IMAX auditorium that was built in 1999 and has been an AMC since 2010.
AMC probably had to sweeten the package deal of theaters it divested to New Vision with enough "good" theaters to offset some of the more questionable locations it was unloading (like our little 12-plex mall theater in Lawton).

quote: Dennis Benjamin
They are looking to grow the company to a certain amount of locations in a certain amount of markets and then unload them.
If that's the game plan I hope the process happens quickly for the sake of Lawton's downtown area. The old mall downtown is struggling. It has been losing other small stores in addition to the Sears closure. JCPenney and Dillards are the two remaining anchors. If JCPenney goes (and there's a very good chance that could happen) then foot traffic in the mall will take an even worse nose dive.

If New Vision punts the property to a new owner then there would be at least some chance the new owner would get out of the dying mall and build a real theater in the downtown zone. A big new movie theater would be an anchor as good as any to spark development there, especially the kinds of businesses that are open after dark.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: