Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How to pay Real D from Canada

Author Topic: How to pay Real D from Canada
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-01-2016 12:37 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To this point, I have always paid Real D with my American Express card. The US dollar exchange is just handled, and the payment shows up on my next credit card bill. Nothing to it.

Today, I got letter from Real D stating that they want everyone to pay via electronic funds transfer; they will still take my credit card payment but if they do so they will add a 4% surcharge to the bill.

Since I prefer to keep the 4% myself, I did some checking today into how to pay them. It took about a half day on the phone, but I have a system in place now that will apparently work at a reasonable cost and maybe some you folks might want to do something similar if you owe money to Real D and are in Canada.

You can't do a direct electronic funds transfer from a Royal Bank account to a US bank. The solution is to set up a US Dollar Saving Account at the Royal Bank and then you can transfer money into that from your regular chequing account. The exchange to US dollars happens at this stage.

You then need to get a chequing account with RBC Bank in Georgia, which is the Royal Bank's US branch. Then you can transfer money from the US Dollar Saving Account to the RBC Bank in Georgia, and from there you can do electronic funds transfers in US dollars to any US bank through the RBC Bank website.

So now I'm just going to start keeping a bit of money at the RBC Bank in Georgia and use that to pay Real D as needed.

It's a bit convoluted, but the information that I initially got was that it would cost me $45 per transaction to send a wire transfer from the Royal Bank to a US bank, so it's a lot cheaper to do it this way even though it seems to be the long way around the bush.

I actually managed to set all of this up with one phone call to the RBC general inquiry line; I just got transferred around to about ten different people and departments and spent a good part of the afternoon waiting on hold.

Hopefully this information will be of use. Nobody at the local Royal Bank branch knew anything about this when I popped in and asked so I guess it's not a particularly common thing to do.

I hadn't planned to start banking in the US when I got up this morning, though.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: