Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Problem receiving KDMs from Deluxe all of a sudden

Author Topic: Problem receiving KDMs from Deluxe all of a sudden
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2016 11:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sooo, I've been getting my KDMs in the same email account ever since we went digital. Now all of a sudden, it's getting finicky.

Last week my key didn't show up, I called Deluxe, they resent it and it arrived.

This week, it didn't show up, and I have now had it re-sent twice, and it is STILL not here.

I've checked my email settings, my spam folder, and all the usual stuff but no luck.... I guess the FTP route will be next, but WTF?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-29-2016 12:21 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is hosting your email account? What, if anything, are they using for spam filtering on their (your email host's) end?

Is your email host using any of the email blacklists (of which there are many) and rejecting incoming mail on that basis? Some of the blacklists are less reliable than others; some are completely unreliable. A mailserver is one of those things that most people set up and forget about until it needs upgrading.

It's happened in the past that when someone decides to no longer maintain a blacklist so they just set their former blacklist server to report "spam" as the response to all queries with the idea that everyone who's using the blacklist will suddenly stop receiving all email and this will get the mailserver admin's attention so he will change the configuration to no longer use the now defunct blacklist.

It might be worth pointing out that I have all keys sent to two email addresses, one being my main email address that's hosted on the mail and webserver that I have in the corner of this room, and the other being an email address that I get from one of my ISP's. So if there are any issues receiving mail on either account, the key will show up anyway in the other account.

Deluxe doesn't seem to have any problem doing that. Just tell them that you want to add an additional email address to your account with them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2016 01:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well finally I talked to a guy from Deluxe who said he would send our KDM to his own personal email AND to my email, and see if he received it. Then if he did, he would forward it from there to me.

Lo and behold, THAT worked. He said that the one sent from Deluxe had gotten rejected on our end due to the "partial package attachment" (whatever that is). I still have no idea why all this is happening. But at least for this week we are good to go.

I do like your idea of using another email account, but I'll need to create one somewhere. I've had the same account and ISP for about 15 years, so I guess I'll go with a gmail account or something.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-29-2016 06:06 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We registered two separate email accounts (different providers) ONLY for KDM transmission when we went digital and communicated both to all KDM issuing entities.

From there, there are forwarders to personal/cinema email accounts. So we never touch the original mail accounts, they just receive and forward. Both accounts are hosted at solid providers, yet are free. Yes, this way we get all KDMs twice, but who cares. And in case we only get a single KDM email, we instantly know there is something wrong that needs to be checked. Forwarding to multiple people is handy, so multiple people check these KDMs and become aware of possible issues or delays. Hosting at different providers minimizes the risk. It is very unlikely that different providers have technical issues, spamfilter havoc, or go out of business at the same time.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2016 08:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a personal email for the keys that I need and never had any problems on delivery.

Once in a while they will flub up and forget to generate a key for a certain server, but that's an easy fix within 15 mins after a call.

Good luck - Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2016 12:04 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well a happy ending to this saga... a guy from Deluxe (I forget his name, sorry) noticed this thread on Film-Tech and called me today. I explained what had been happening. He said he would check with their IT people and see if he could figure it out.

Then tonight in my email, here are the KDMs for "Suicide Squad" opening next week. Four days ahead of when I was expecting them!

Nice job, Deluxe! Thanks for paying attention and doing what it took to get whatever the issue was, resolved.

(Now, I hate to even bring this up, but could we please get those EZ-Return labels fixed?) [Big Grin]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-30-2016 12:14 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something else to consider is if you are using GMail as a POP account, you may have to look at the spam/junk folder in the web login, as well as your local email client - and place the Deluxe address on the white list. Same applies for Yahoo and other web mail programs.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2016 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to burst your bubble Mike, but all of the Suicide Squad keys for everyone were sent out tonight.

It's still awesome that the guy noticed the discussion and put forth the effort to reach out to you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-30-2016 04:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, forgot to mention when I receive keys:

I have a filter in place to where I have a separate mailbox folder that the keys, from both depots, goes into on arrival instead of being included with the general inbox content.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2016 09:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Not to burst your bubble Mike, but all of the Suicide Squad keys for everyone were sent out tonight.
That's what I figured -- the drive arrived way early, too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: