Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New Construction

Author Topic: New Construction
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2016 02:22 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a current estimate as per auditorium basis on a new theater? I have heard 1 Million per auditorium but don't know if that is accurate. It seems high to me but then the cost of raw popcorn seems high to me when I compare it to 1973 prices.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-19-2016 04:35 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really can't just put a figure on a screen, without getting a little more specific. A new build or a conversion of an existing building? How many seats? Do you want 2K, 4K? 7.1 sound or Atmos? Etc., etc. I'd say anything from $200K to infinity...

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2016 06:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the location, just the build out with no furnishings can easily be in the $150-$200 sqft range.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2016 04:37 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the answers to your questions. A figure was plucked out of the air for a reason to not build a new theater in a specific location. It seemed outrageous especially considering the quality of other projects this company had done.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2016 10:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be out of range. There are so many questions to answer though...

How much is the land?
How big is the building?
How many seats per auditorium?
What kind of seats? (Luxury ones cost way more than plainer ones)
How big will the screens be? And is it going to be done right, or will it be one of those dopey un-masked discount installations?
How elaborate of sound systems?
Auro/Dolby Atmos or not?
State-of-the-art projection, or "just enough to get by"
3D capable or not?
Imax (or other PLF) or not?
How big a lobby?
How much concession equipment (how many stations)?
What kind of safety/security needs to be provided?
What type of building? (Brick, block, metal, etc.)
Free-standing or in another building like a mall?
How big a parking lot do you have to build, and does it have to be paved?
Indie, or chain? (I'd expect a chain cinema would be cheaper to build due to standardization of designs, quantity deals with manufacturers, etc.)

Etc. etc. etc.

These are just questions I came up with in 3 minutes and I've never built any kind of building from scratch in my life, so I imagine there are at least this many other additional questions to be answered.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. The owners pulled a cost out of the air that they have no facts to base it on. It was high, and I suppose if we were building a theater in Oklahoma City proper, designed to compete with everyone there. Their figure might be right. We wouldn't being doing that, at least I don't think we would. Unfortunately we did not research and the figure is out of the range they are willing to spend. I should delete this actually, I was wanting information on it but have no way to give enough to get anything back on it.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2016 02:55 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days its a monumental task trying to open a theater and compete with industry giants. Join em or die trying.

BTW a local small town of less then a couple hundred near me had a local guy donate his life savings towards building a single theater and a small gym and lobby. The cinema has about 10-12 rows and is stadium style. About 25x50ft. Has a 20' Scope screen with no masking, JBL low model LCRs and surrounds and 1 JBL 18" sub. No baffle wall. Christie Solaria One projector, Dolby CP750, 4 Crown XLS2000 amps, a generic brand scaler, a Panny BD player, network storage and a CP with modem. This is all low budget gear and dirt cheap property the cost to build the place including the property was between 2.5-3mil.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: