Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Another cell-phone user attacks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Another cell-phone user attacks
Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2016 02:54 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another inconsiderate fuck attacked an innocent patron just trying to watch a movie in peace at my theater's twin location in Topeka Ks.

http://www.wibw.com/content/news/373021601.html?=r

quote:

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A trip to the movies ended with a trip to the hospital for a Topeka couple and Monday they shared their story.

One of the victims told 13 NEWS she and her husband, who was also attacked, went to see 'The Young Messiah' at Hollywood Stadium 14 on Sunday afternoon. They both asked not to be identified.

About 30 minutes into the movie, she says she 'politely' asked a man in the row ahead of them to turn off his phone - three times.

"Each time I asked him he used the F word at me and he cussed at me. So, I told my husband I said this isn't right, so I went to get a manager" she said.

She says, on the way back to her seat, she asked the man to turn out the light once more. The man refused and continued to cuss. That's when he allegedly stood up, turned around and hit her in the face.

Her husband told 13 NEWS that, "by this time my wife was face-down on the concrete and there was blood everywhere. Her glasses were broken and it was just awful."

"Her husband came to her defense and the suspect struck him as well with the same object, again unknown what that object was," TPD Lt. Colleen Stuart said.

The victims describe the objects as a three to four lb. bag. She says she suffered a broken nose, concussion and black and blue swollen face. Her husband had a gash on his head. They were both taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Topeka police say the suspect was gone when officers arrived. One of the victims said the theater told him Regal doesn't have surveillance cameras. Stuart said the next step is to see if that's true and to look to surrounding businesses for footage of the suspect.

"To get an idea or at least put it out there for someone else to assist in identifying that person," Stuart said.

Meanwhile, the victims want to put out another message - "Go in groups, know your surroundings, and take a flashlight."

They describe the suspect as a white man in his mid-40's with salt and pepper colored hair. If you have any information you're asked to contact the Topeka Police Department at (785) 368-9551.

13 NEWS reached out to Regal Cinemas, which owns the Hollywood Stadium 14, and they declined to comment.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-24-2016 03:07 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but note the irony of the movie this happened in.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2016 03:40 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Asshole tries that shit in Virginia and he could wind up dead. Lots of concealed carry here.

Why didn't the victims just move and avoid confrontation?

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2016 04:31 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And my wife wonders why I don't go to the movies (except to work) anymore.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2016 04:58 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The woman was correct in wanting the man to not use his phone. The problem is that she should have gone to find a manager either before she confronted the man the first time, or after the first time. She also shouldn't have said anything when she returned from speaking to a manager. In fact, she and her husband should have moved at that point.

She set herself up to get beat up by this trashy man. This is exactly why more people are carrying.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Travis, the victims are entirely to blame. In fact, the hero of the story, the guy that attacked the couple, should get a medal for doing what was right. I think that's actually why the police are looking for him.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2016 06:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never a good idea to take matters into your own hands. After the first request didn't work, they should have known they were dealing with a prick, and either changed seats, gotten a manager or asked for a refund.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-24-2016 06:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would you expect the manager or usher to do?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-24-2016 07:26 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
What would you expect the manager or usher to do?
How about tossing him out?

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2016 07:55 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I didn't say the victim was to blame. I said that she set herself up to get hurt. There's no reason for the woman to speak to the man again after she spoke to the manager. I wouldn't ever confront a customer as a customer more than once possibly.

Louis,

I would expect the manager or usher to tell the guy to stop using his phone. If he failed to comply, kick him out and call the police if he doesn't leave.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-24-2016 08:04 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Putlack
Yes Travis, the victims are entirely to blame.
I don't think anyone would reasonably think the victims are to blame. However, there is a level of personal responsibility for choosing confrontation over deescalating the situation by moving.

I do not ever blame the victim for the actions of an assailant, but I also believe in individuals having some degree of accountability for their own actions - even if it's "maybe next time I should handle that differently".

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2016 09:21 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-24-2016 10:20 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't understand why it is apparently impossible for every theatre in the world with the sole exception of mine to control cell phone use in the auditorium.

There are only two steps involved. See the light? Talk to the customer. See it again? Throw him out.

Your customers don't have to interact, react, report, move, or do anything at all. You're the management; take care of the problem immediately when it arises.

What's the difficulty here, really?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2016 06:44 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the ideal procedure and protocol. It's too bad 90% of the theaters in this country simply don't even remotely have the staffing to watch for things like that.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2016 08:15 AM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I still don't understand why it is apparently impossible for every theatre in the world with the sole exception of mine to control cell phone use in the auditorium
Canadians are WAY more polite is my theory.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: