Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Jacking up the price

Author Topic: Jacking up the price
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 09:25 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the idea this morning that as of this coming Friday, all ticket prices will be going up by $1. I haven't raised the prices since I got my digital cinema setup five years ago, so I guess it's time. Don't want to fall too far behind and then hit people with a huge increase.

Had to do a bit of a re-write on my app today since I had hard-coded the admission prices into it. Now I've got smarter -- it already hits my webserver to get what's playing this week, so now I'll hit it to get the prices as well; that way I won't have to re-write the app every time I change the admission prices.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2016 07:46 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what happens to people who have not upgraded the app? Do they get the old price?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 10:45 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Android automatically updates devices to the latest app version when they are installed through google play. When compiling the app you increment an android:versionCode field in the manifest -- google play and android uses that number to determine what the latest version of a given app actually is and update it if it's outdated.

So by now nobody will have the old app on their device unless it's been turned off, and if they do it will be updated when they next turn it on.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-16-2016 12:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Android update is an optional thing...none of my apps are allowed to auto update...the damn thing would be updating every second of the day and possibly the app I'm using.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said. I manually authorize my updates in the evening just before I go to bed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-16-2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...it coincides typically when I put it on the charger.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 05:23 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank - you could modify your website so that if outdated apps contact it, instead of playing times, they receive a hint to update their app only. Otherwise you will get complaints by people who continue to use the old app.

You should have requested prices and/or update information from your website right from the start. It's probably best if your app always reports it's version number to the website.

- Carsten

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this was my first attempt at writing an app and it was mostly just to learn how it's done. I am actually mildly surprised at how many people use it. My websites gets multiple hits every day from people checking the what's playing link through the app.

In hindsight, I suppose a good way to handle this would have been to use a different link for the new version of the app. Then I could put an "outdated app" notice on the original link.

Live and learn, I guess. Now I know more about this than I did before.

On the other hand, if any of you folks don't have an app for your theatre, I'm here to tell you that you should get one. It's a popular thing.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 06:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Disney made me do it."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: