Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatres Built w/Digital Already Closed

Author Topic: Theatres Built w/Digital Already Closed
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-08-2015 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric Hooper's thread about ex-GCC's made me wonder this: How many theatres that have been newly built with digital cinema that have already closed? One assumes a very, very small number but I guess we will see.

I had mentioned an ex-GCC that was only 15 years old and modern enough to be built stadium that AMC closed and replaced with a similar size theatre a few hundred feet away. But now the new plateau will be digital cinema. Years ago it might have been theatres designed around 1-projector platter operation.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-08-2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of theaters that were converted from film to d-cinema that later closed. I don't think there are any theaters here in Oklahoma that opened all digital that later closed.

A bunch of these theaters are on long term leases of some sort, 20 or 30 years even, with a different property owner. There may be some loop holes that would let a theater out of its lease.

It has been only 8 years (2007) since the movie theater industry began converting from film projection to 2K digital projection at an aggressive pace. That's really not enough time for a theater to go through an entire life cycle from first opening its doors to shutting for good. Some factors could make that happen though. Theater chain mergers could see a new owner shutting down a still new theater that is competing with another in their chain nearby. Theater properties could be bought for demolition to make room for some bigger construction project.

AMC Theaters is in the process of finalizing its acquisition of Starplex Cinemas. Here in Lawton Starplex runs the small Central Mall 12-plex. That theater is only 14 years old. Dickinson first opened it then it changed hands a couple times before winding up with Starplex. Considering how small the auditoriums and screens are in this complex I can't see AMC doing much with that place. They're converting a bunch of their theater auditoriums to recliner seating, but it would be a waste in there. I just don't know if AMC could get out of that theater's lease with Central Mall and build a new, larger location in the downtown area to better compete with the new Carmike location on the city's West side.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-08-2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Studio Movie Grill Zona Rosa, Kansas City, MO
opened April 1, 2010 all digital
closed September 9, 2010

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^Um. What??

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't aware of that theater's existence and I live pretty close. Apparently it was a 3 screen theater/comedy club, then closed the comedy club and went to 8 screens, then closed. Wish I could've seen it.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/20340

Doesn't say when the 3 originally opened.

Following image from google street view, says it was from March of 2015.

-

From June 2012:

-

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-08-2015 06:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the wrong building. You want a block to the left of that.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2015 06:28 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god, Adam! That's even more depressing!

I didn't know of either of those theaters! What's the other one then? Which came first? What happened?

-

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-08-2015 06:58 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal's Four Hills 10 went digital around Christmas of 2010 then closed in 2011 once it was decided that the new Regal Winrock 14 would be built a few miles away. The Four Hills location sat empty until 2015 when Icon Cinemas opened it again as the Albuquerque Icon 10.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-09-2015 11:54 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Went digital" means it didn't open that way and this thread is about theatres that opened with digital projection and have already closed.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-09-2015 03:36 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
I didn't know of either of those theaters! What's the other one then? Which came first? What happened?
SMG Zona Rosa effectively failed because they couldn't get product. Their proximity to the nearby AMC Barrywoods 24 locked them out of first-run movies, a problem SMG apparently never considered, which doomed them instantly. In their brief existence they ran a really odd hodgepodge lineup of movies everybody had either already seen, or never wanted to see in the first place.

As far as I know, the comedy club was never a theatre.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: