Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Alamo Drafthouse opens Star Wars themed Theater in Omaha, Nebraska

Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse opens Star Wars themed Theater in Omaha, Nebraska
Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 07:53 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Story: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/01/star-wars-themed-movie-theater-alamo

quote:
Star Wars
Posted December 1 2015 — 12:38 PM EST

If you woke up this morning believing there’s no particular reason to envy moviegoers in Omaha this month, think again!

The Alamo Drafthouse cinema chain has just opened a Star Wars-themed movie theater in the Nebraska city, presumably the country’s first. Among the features: a 10-foot Death Star hanging in the lobby, complete with green superlaser (image above).

There’s also Imperial ship-style light panels…

That’s no concession stand… it’s a space station!

-

Plus Imperial signage. This is indeed the lobby you’re looking for.

And the Emperor’s throne. You can actually turn on the lobby’s fully operational Death Star using the controls. You want this, don’t you? Goooood.

“The idea behind the lobby is that we wanted to construct and install a lobby theme that would make us unique in our Omaha market as well as the midwest,” said the Alamo’s Omaha team in a statement to EW. “We also wanted a theme that was built around an iconic film and to completely own that theme to immerse our guests in the experience. That is when Star Wars came into the picture and it just so happened that we timed it out just right with the announcement of the huge plans for a new Star Wars legacy starting this December. It is a permanent installation and will be thee destination to see all of the new Star Wars films.”

The design, construction and installation was done by Dimensional Innovations out of Kansas City.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-02-2015 08:43 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they have to pay off the Mouse House?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2015 11:27 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They better have at least cleared with the Mouse House. Those guys do not fool around at all when it comes to suing people for infringing on their trademarks and using their intellectual property without their permission.

Nebraska City? Why would Alamo Drafthouse build a theater there? That's nearly 40 miles South of Omaha. Less than 10,000 people live there. I wonder if that location mentioned in the article is an error. Alamo has a location in La Vista, on the South side of Omaha.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-02-2015 10:04 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Nebraska City? Why would Alamo Drafthouse build a theater there? That's nearly 40 miles South of Omaha. Less than 10,000 people live there. I wonder if that location mentioned in the article is an error. Alamo has a location in La Vista, on the South side of Omaha.
They ARE talking about La Vista. The article says "The Alamo Drafthouse cinema chain has just opened a Star Wars-themed movie theater in THE Nebraska city" not Nebraska City. Buck just misread it for the title.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2015 05:17 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that death star laser is aimed at the nearest Marcus cinema?

http://www.cnet.com/news/lounge-like-the-emperor-in-this-star-wars-themed-cinema/

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-03-2015 06:09 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For New Year's Eve they should have a countdown to blowing up the DeathStar.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2015 08:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that's going to look awful dated pretty soon considering they blew up the Death Star like 30 years ago.

Seriously though - I'm glad it's an Alamo Drafthouse, at least it won't be one of those idiotic theaters that has an amazing lobby and by-the-numbers crappy auditoriums.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2015 07:25 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Made news overseas.
http://movieplayer.it/news/star-wars-a-omaha-apre-un-cinema-a-tema-che-contiene-la-death-star_39589/

Volete una buona ragione per visitare Omaha, cittadina del Nebraska ? Il nuovo cinema della catena Alamo Drafthouse! La catena ha scelto proprio Omaha per inaugurare una nuova sala cinematografica a tema Star Wars, la prima della nazione. Quale posto migliore di questo per recarsi a vedere Star Wars: Il risveglio della forza?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2015 05:34 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subject edited, my mistake!

Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2015 04:15 PM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that it makes me smile, the kid in me loves it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: