Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinemas - "not including tax." (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cinemas - "not including tax."
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2015 03:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any locations, especially the big box cinemas, now switching over to where they're charging tax on top of the item - both box and concessions - instead of adding the tax into the price?

Seems like a sneaky way to do a double hit: raise prices and having patrons pay the tax amount that the cinemas don't have to pay out of their pockets.

-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-09-2015 04:50 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC does it here on their tickets, though they actually slashed the price of their tickets in July. I don't know what they do at the concessions stand. See the fine print here

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard that some AMC locations and others are slicing tix prices down to a reasonable level.

If the tax rate is 8.25% then the $5.99 tix price becomes a $6.50 ticket.

Just a sneaky way to charge the $6.50 tix price.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-09-2015 09:04 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tax rate is 10% here.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2015 10:29 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around here at least, Regal has stopped making prices come out to even quarters. Tickets are prices like $8.94 including tax.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-09-2015 11:23 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious to here about the experience of people who have worked for theatres that do it both ways. My feeling is adding the tax afterwards would slow the speed of service and result in more cash outages. It also creates an additional logistic issue by having to stock rolls of change other than quarters.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-10-2015 07:26 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Justin--pricing in "odd" increments will be annoying for the patrons and staff alike. If they do this for concession items, too, it will probably increase line lengths and decrease sales as a result.

As a patron, I have seen a couple of theatres that set prices in .50 increments and provide change in half-dollar coins. This sounds silly, but it is a way to make a memorable impression on customers. Same for giving change in $2 bills (do cash registers even have a slot for $2 bills?).

If the goal of this policy is to show customers how high tax rates really are, it would seem that a sign under the admission price sign saying something like "XX% tax included in above prices" would be sufficient.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-10-2015 08:08 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the odd ticket prices, there are so many levels of pricing at multiplexes now it is difficult to find out how much it will cost you to go. At the above mentioned AMC different movies cost different amounts, they all vary by time of day, sometimes there are kid and senior prices, then 3D charges and big screen charges. Plus tax. The competing Carmike doesn't have quite as many levels and includes the tax in the ticket price, charges more and, for many reasons, is stomping AMC.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2015 10:09 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal and AMC have both stopped including tax in both concession and Box Office. It is stupid. I cannot understand the logic aside from being able to raise prices more quietly.(You still won't get it past the seniors!!) To be fair though, when we went through the switch at this Regal location, prices remained *roughly* the same, change just became odd one way or the other.

quote: Justin Hamaker
I'm curious to here about the experience of people who have worked for theatres that do it both ways. My feeling is adding the tax afterwards would slow the speed of service and result in more cash outages. It also creates an additional logistic issue by having to stock rolls of change other than quarters.
IT SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

District manager- "It will only add about 15 minutes total combined for all employees over the course of the day" AHHAHHAA HILARIOUS. I'd say that time is closer to two hours. Plus the cost of a professional coin counter, and the ongoing cost of coin rolls. Decreased accuracy. Increased transaction times.(Gotta love the look on a customers' face when you throw a pile of coin at them.) Plus an IMMENSE level of frustration. Why would you do that. Why would you make something simple infinitely more complicated. I truly have a hard time thinking of anything else cooperate could do that has an equivalent "Haha let's see them deal with this, I mean... we don't have to work on the floor, what do we care?" factor to it. WHAT IS THE REASON?!

Just another nail in the coffin that already looks like a busy street corner telephone pole. Just squeeze it in there somewhere....

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-10-2015 03:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Tax rate is 10% here.

$6.59 .. still cheaper than some of the country for an adult ticket.

quote: Buck Wilson
Plus an IMMENSE level of frustration.
And the way kids can do math these days, being so used to their cellphones thinking for them...

Shoot, we put in a new Ast Mgr and this person struggles to count down the drawer to the assigned drawer bank and have to use a calculator to aid with the count, and right now we're just doing the quarter usage.

All of the Ast Mgr's are freaking out on the idea of using and counting the small change when that assigned day comes.

Talk about the complacency syndrome.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-10-2015 05:04 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte
I feel your frustration on this one. But I teach every one of my employees how to count change, and never teach them how to have the register calculate it. And when I'm training managers I always teach them how to count drawers by counting up from smallest to largest. I can't say for certain they would all immediately grasp how to apply it with small change, but they have the skills already once they realize you're doing the same thing, just starting with smaller coins.

It is a struggle to teach them. I don't know if it's because they forget basic math once they start doing more complex or if they freeze up when they are dealing with actual money. But it seems to be a difficult concept for many teens to get down - especially those who have never had a job. But my staff gets complements almost every day for counting change, and I have had more than a few former employees tell me it made things so much easier for them in other jobs.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-10-2015 05:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
It is a struggle to teach them. I don't know if it's because they forget basic math once they start doing more complex or if they freeze up when they are dealing with actual money.
Boy I hear that. We have our employees leave exactly $100 in the till drawer each night and turn the rest into the office, where it is counted up. It is AMAZING how they so frequently are a dollar short, or 50 cents over, or whatever. I would say about 2 out of 7 days, on the average, they're right-on. It drives me crazy.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2015 08:54 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find this all quite entertaining. I've not paid cash for a movie ticket or concessions now probably in over a decade. A survey last week found over 50% of people had no money on them at all.

Has paywave not hit you guys yet? Paywave is gaining popularity here in NZ and I believe also in the UK, from something I read last week. Transactions up to $85 NZD don't need a pin, just wave the plastic at the reader.

The other thing I'd note is that last time I holidayed in a US territory, most volume tills had automated change dispensers, I'm surprised you cash-heavy folks aren't using them, I'd be certain its quicker than a just-out-of-school-minimum-wager at counting out the coins.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2015 10:30 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what we do at the restaurant after closing. Count the drawer down to 100, then count the rest and match it to "cash due" according to the POS. Now, of course we're dealing with all types of change. I think during rush hours or stressful periods people tend to "lock up" or get stage fright essentially when confronted with actually having to do math in one's head. It's rare we're ever spot on. Usually a dollar under or over.....

Having even change would be fantastic....especially when everyone at a table of 20 comes up and wants each bill separate...all cash...and pay at the same time while everyone at the bar is trying to get your attention.......

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2015 10:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing what has happened is that the big chains have hit a point where the card vs. cash sales have skewed heavily enough to cards that they will deal with the slight head ache of slower transactions on the cash sales.

My theater is still skewed 60:40 towards cash though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: