Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » This is how rich people watched Furious 7 last weekend (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: This is how rich people watched Furious 7 last weekend
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/7/8361475/prima-cinema-luxury-movie-watching-furious-7

$500 per movie, $35k equipment, 40GB per movie, 10-bit 1080p 4:2:2

In the world you and I know, there are basically two legitimate, legal opportunities to catch a new flick. First, of course, there’s the theater, where we pay anywhere from $10 to $30 for the privilege of sitting in a velour seat of dubious sanitation next to talkers and texters hell-bent on ruining the experience, all while our shoes stick to years’ worth of petrified Coca-Cola, popcorn, and Sno-Caps. The next opportunity comes several weeks to several months later, when titles make the transition to on-demand streaming services, and eventually to other premium services like HBO and Netflix.

That’s about it. Unless you’re an oil baron or a venture capitalist, that is.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2015 08:30 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early 90's our projectionist would sometimes work at very rich people's houses in Palm Beach to run first run, 35mm at a similar per movie cost. They are making a big deal out of the digital version of the same thing that's been going on for decades.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-08-2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie file is only 40GB in size? What file format and encryption methods are being used? The article says it's "Fort Knox secure" but I'm not sure I buy that.

Also, the article is flat out wrong about that thing being THE way rich people watch movies. The REAL way rich people watch movies is they get a DVD or Blu-ray screener disc from the studio (for free) and then one of their kids or friends borrows the disc and uploads it to torrent sites for everyone else to enjoy before the movie arrives in theaters.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 01:43 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read about that a while ago- and I seriously thought the thing about the thumbprint ID was a joke.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-10-2015 01:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The author is an idiot. He doesn't know that physical media even exists. He says: "The next opportunity comes several weeks to several months later, when titles make the transition to on-demand streaming services, and eventually to other premium services like HBO and Netflix." What about DVD and Blu-ray, dumbass? And if it comes to HBO and Netflix AFTER on-demand streaming services, then just what the hell are HBO and Netflix?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 02:24 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The author is also an idiot with this:
quote: Harold Hallikainen
there’s the theater, where we pay anywhere from $10 to $30 for the privilege of sitting in a velour seat of dubious sanitation next to talkers and texters hell-bent on ruining the experience, all while our shoes stick to years’ worth of petrified Coca-Cola, popcorn, and Sno-Caps.
(1) The average ticket price is around $7.50, not "$10 to $30"

(2) Velour seats? What decade is this person from?

(3) Dubious sanitation? I'll grant this can sometimes happen but I think that's the exception rather than the rule

(4) Talkers and texters: Again, it IS a problem but it's not like 100% of the other patrons in a theater are talking and texting. And, I wouldn't be surprised to see "rich people" talking and texting too.

(5) The whole sticky floor thing is really pretty much a thing of the past. I can't remember the last time I was in a theater where the floors were sticky. And even if there is some sticky-ness, it's probably from earlier in the day, not "years worth of petrified."

Do these problems exist? Yes, but they're certainly not the norm -- this is just a sensationalizing author trying to be all important.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 02:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have met so many "rich" people (in quotes) who have built these grand home theater rooms and fill it up with kitchy, fake movie memorabilia then equip them with off the shelf equipment.

It seems to me that these people really don't care about the real movie experience. They just want to make themselves feel special.

Much as I like the idea of a traveling theater setup that brings the best equipment (or at least better equipment) I just can't help thinking that this is more of the same... people who just want to make themselves feel special.

All of the other talk about movie theaters being "this way" or "that way" and comparing their home setups is just that, talk, AFAIAC. More bullshit.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-10-2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I have met so many "rich" people (in quotes) who have built these grand home theater rooms and fill it up with kitchy, fake movie memorabilia
You can't have a proper home theater without a Casablanca poster somewhere. Or a clock made out of an 8mm film reel.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 12:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Harold Hallikainen
In the world you and I know, there are basically two legitimate, legal opportunities to catch a new flick.

[snip]

That’s about it. Unless you’re an oil baron or a venture capitalist, that is.

Or you're in the movie industry, and thus have access to the Bel Air Circuit. If you are and do, you'll have a DCP server and theater projector in your home, just like the actual theaters do, and receive DCPs and keys for them.

So as Harold points out, this gadget is clearly aimed at people who are very rich; but specifically, very rich people who have no personal or professional connection to the movie industry.

I'm surprised that there are enough customers for it to make it viable. As a general rule, very rich people unconnected to the movie industry tend to spend their time making lots of money rather than sitting around watching films. But I guess these folks must exist.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-10-2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
I'm surprised that there are enough customers for it to make it viable. As a general rule, very rich people unconnected to the movie industry tend to spend their time making lots of money rather than sitting around watching films. But I guess these folks must exist.
The rich guys aren't supposed to buy this gizmo for themselves. They're too busy hustling, earning those Benjamins. The gadget is meant for their entourage to enjoy. I almost said "posse."

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 08:08 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks as if that thumbprint authorization isn't actually the latest technology to boast around:

2010 article:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/studios-ponder-most-premium-vod-them-all-22470/

'Security would be tight, too. One proposed system would require the user to supply a thumbprint in order to watch the movie.'

- Carsten

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-11-2015 06:43 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ft Knox security." That is a good one on so many levels.

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2015 02:11 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
For most any engineer at Facebook or Google or a variety of other Silicon Valley companies, this system is pocket change.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-04-2019 06:06 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1626 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-04-2019 06:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump. This appears to be dead, or at least moribund. The web site is now essentially blank, and there appear to have been no releases for a while.

I guess there just aren't enough people who want to pay $500 to watch a movie at home.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: