Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Star Wars ReRelease

Author Topic: Star Wars ReRelease
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2015 04:27 AM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney is finally releasing Star Wars to download on itunes and the like. Anyone with any intuition on the matter want to chime in on if we're going to see a marathon the day before the new film comes out in the same way Disney has been doing these with Marvel films?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-07-2015 06:16 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One can only wonder what version of the Star Wars movies we'll get. Are the Blu-Ray releases considered to be the true and final revisions?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-07-2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I haven't heard anything yet about a potential marathon prior to the Episode VII release. We probably won't know more about this until September or October at the earliest.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2015 01:55 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Fox were smart, and judging from some of the terms of this new deal with Disney they're not, they'd be extra cooperative with Disney for anything they want to do with the series, because renewed interest in the series is only going to help Fox's bottom line. But if there is a marathon in December, hopefully it's only the original trilogy, because that's all that's needed to be in on the big screen again.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-07-2015 05:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 2nd run theater in South Dakota advertising shows of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. They are both listed as "pending." I figure they are either blowing smoke, or eternally optimistic, or crazy, or maybe they're running below the radar.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-07-2015 10:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
One can only wonder what version of the Star Wars movies we'll get.
The "HD Digital" download versions of Episodes I-VI will all be of the "special edition" ilk.

Disney is reportedly working on a restored version of the original trilogy with the theatrical cuts George Lucas claimed no longer existed. But those discs probably won't go on sale until the Fall.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-07-2015 11:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was, like, ten years old when that movie came out and we went to see it almost every Saturday throughout that whole summer. Much as I liked Star Wars, and still do, I'm just tired of it being trotted out every year or two as if people have to watch it... and pay for the privilege.

Yeah... Milk that cow for all it's worth! [Wink]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-16-2015 01:29 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one would happily pay for a restored version of the original trilogy on the big screen. I couldn't care less about the new trilogy, the best way to treat those movies is like they never existed.

I recently watched the Blu-Ray release of Episode IV, currently the highest quality release available for the home market. Those silly additions and tweaks are so over-evident in this release, it's almost painful to look at.

If George Lucas really couldn't stand the way stuff looked back then, he should just had those movies remade entirely with a new set of actors and new special effect and not butcher the originals...

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2015 09:54 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well tonight and tomorrow night are the premiers of Ep II and III in 3D at the 'Star Wars Celebration 2015' shindig in Anaheim California.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: